General Chat

Stevo985

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Same 

Well, not quite, I have a desk fan on my bedside table. Have it on every night. I like the noise it makes, the clicks and the clanks. I can't sleep in silence, I need background noise. 

Podcasts for me. You know my favourite

• Like 1

Going to view a house today. Looks absolutely massive with a huge drive and asking price is very good. The agents told us the catch - there is a cemetary behind the garden about 15-20metres away. 

Not sure if thats a good idea or not. One hand security will be good but on other if you wanted to resell in years to come im not sure how many people would be interested in it?

I’m the opposite, I need absolute silence to sleep. Hate any kind of noise. If I’m in a hotel I have to have a few drinks otherwise the little noises annoy the hell out of me. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Going to view a house today. Looks absolutely massive with a huge drive and asking price is very good. The agents told us the catch - there is a cemetary behind the garden about 15-20metres away. 

Not sure if thats a good idea or not. One hand security will be good but on other if you wanted to resell in years to come im not sure how many people would be interested in it?

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but as you say, might limit your resale options due to some people being superstitious. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep, could be an issue reselling later.

In related news my in-laws accepted an offer on their house few weeks back, their buyers lender did the survey and said it was £10k too high and wouldn’t lend on it. Lenders are pricing in for a drop in the market so you need to be careful not to over pay. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but as you say, might limit your resale options due to some people being superstitious. 

Yeah thats my concern the resell. Im gonna go view with a open mind.  The garden looks incredible. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yep, could be an issue reselling later.

In related news my in-laws accepted an offer on their house few weeks back, their buyers lender did the survey and said it was £10k too high and wouldn’t lend on it. Lenders are pricing in for a drop in the market so you need to be careful not to over pay. 

Oh really in a way thats netter for the buyers no? You pay less although i guess the sellers could reject it. But for 10k i think they would be stupid to not accept 10k less with the current market as it is.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It's in the dead centre of town , i'm sure the  resale value will be fine

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah thats my concern the resell. Im gonna go view with a open mind.  The garden looks incredible. 

Oh really in a way thats netter for the buyers no? You pay less although i guess the sellers could reject it. But for 10k i think they would be stupid to not accept 10k less with the current market as it is.

They said they’d take a £5k cut on it but no more. Looks like it’ll go back on the market, I guess the buyers only had a small deposit (5% or so maybe).

It was just a word of warning, if you think it’s a bit pricey then you might potentially get burned if you sell in the short of medium term.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I used to live quite close to one in kingswinford, quite liked it but consider the bells, they do ring em, didn’t bother us, it was nice.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

They said they’d take a £5k cut on it but no more. Looks like it’ll go back on the market, I guess the buyers only had a small deposit (5% or so maybe).

It was just a word of warning, if you think it’s a bit pricey then you might potentially get burned if you sell in the short of medium term.

Thanks genie. It wont be a short term move for us we plan to move and that be it. As stamp duty is ridiculous.  We have about 65% deposit to put down.

My great granny lived in a tied cottage that used to be the graveyard keepers cottage, so the tombstones were literally the view directly out of the window. They had an outside loo, so you had to walk through the graveyard for a wee.

They also had one point of cold water, a hand pump directly into a well. A cup of tea involved pumping water from the well and lighting the fire.

The 1970’s, you had to be there man, you had to be there.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks genie. It wont be a short term move for us we plan to move and that be it. As stamp duty is ridiculous.  We have about 65% deposit to put down.

65% deposit is impressive.

Its the unforeseen issues that could catch you out, like losing job, relationship breakdown etc. With such a big deposit though you’d be very unlikely to run into negative equity!

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My great granny lived in a tied cottage that used to be the graveyard keepers cottage, so the tombstones were literally the view directly out of the window. They had an outside loo, so you had to walk through the graveyard for a wee.

They also had one point of cold water, a hand pump directly into a well. A cup of tea involved pumping water from the well and lighting the fire.

The 1970’s, you had to be there man, you had to be there.

The thing is its the funerals i worry about. Be very depressing if you can hear that 2-3 days a week 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

65% deposit is impressive.

Its the unforeseen issues that could catch you out, like losing job, relationship breakdown etc. With such a big deposit though you’d be very unlikely to run into negative equity!

Thankfully we both work for the nhs so job security is fine. Not the best paid jobs as you would in the city but its secure.

Yeah my fiance has sold her house just waiting for that to go through. We have to pay a extra 3% stamp duty as she half owns another flat. We are looking at 30k stamp duty as first time buyers its ridiculous.  (My fiance inherited the properties so doesnt make her first time buyer and she had to pay 100k inheritance tax) 

They really do kill you over here with tax

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is its the funerals i worry about. Be very depressing if you can hear that 2-3 days a week 

Ah, I hadn’t even thought of that, I was getting excited about gothic walking tours!

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thankfully we both work for the nhs so job security is fine. Not the best paid jobs as you would in the city but its secure.

Yeah my fiance has sold her house just waiting for that to go through. We have to pay a extra 3% stamp duty as she half owns another flat. We are looking at 30k stamp duty as first time buyers its ridiculous.  (My fiance inherited the properties so doesnt make her first time buyer and she had to pay 100k inheritance tax) 

They really do kill you over here with tax

Sounds like you’ve got a decent chunk of cash to work with. I wouldn’t personally compromise by living near a cemetery unless I had very limited resources/ first time buyer just getting on the ladder.

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah, I hadn’t even thought of that, I was getting excited about gothic walking tours!

Ah i would have invited you over for that 😂

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sounds like you’ve got a decent chunk of cash to work with. I wouldn’t personally compromise by living near a cemetery unless I had very limited resources/ first time buyer just getting on the ladder.

Good point. My guts telling me no but im gonna go see anyway

• Like 2

Â