General Chat

Stevo985

12 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Apparantly GB declared war on Finland in 1941. 

Was a peace ever signed formally? Or are ypu technically still at war? 😂

**** you, Finland!

😜

12 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

How do you all feel about somebody using Kickstarter to fund a novel?

I've been writing my fiction book for ages, but here's the thing, I can't spend too much time as I work and can't cut that.

Should I try Kickstarter? It'd give me the chance to self find the thing. What do you think?

You'd need to be clear what you are raising the money for. Is it to cover your living expenses while you write or to get the first print run printed? What perks can you offer?

Probably better to book a couple of weeks leave and write full time and see how you get on. You might decide you can't face doing that full time.

• Like 1

What sort of book is it?

If it’s shipping fan fiction where Dr Who gets off with Captain Jean Luc Picard, you can shove it up your arse.

If it’s anything else, yeah, go for it.

🙂

Most of it is written, although it is a bit all over the place. As for writing f/t, I would love to - but taking time off to do that (or cutting my hours) won't pay the bills. I know I want to and can, but the circumstances won't let me. I spend most of my week writing so would like to cut that down to 3 days and then have two days focused on the book.

Good idea Limpid, need to work out all of that as well. Just didn't know if it was a good idea or not.

Benefit of doing this would be feedback as well.

@chrisp65 fiction book for young adults. Based on the darkness (depression) which is the enemy being fought by the light (happiness/joy) fending off the darkness. Obviously it isn't about depression but based on my feelings and fears when I suffered from it aged 21-26ish.

• Like 1

If there is one thing that spending so much time at home has taught me it is this.

We do not live in a dog eat dog world. What we live in is a bird eat bird world.

There has been more cannibalism going on in my back garden this last 2 weeks than in an entire series of Hannibal Lecter movies. 😲😲

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

If there is one thing that spending so much time at home has taught me it is this.

We do not live in a dog eat dog world. What we live in is a bird eat bird world.

There has been more cannibalism going on in my back garden this last 2 weeks than in an entire series of Hannibal Lecter movies. 😲😲

There’s a couple of crows live in a tall tree across from us. They will not allow pigeons in our garden. I don’t know why they don’t get on, but if a pigeon lands on our lawn, down come the crows and scare them off. They don’t chase them down and eat them, they don’t then land in our garden and look for whatever it was the pigeon was looking for.

They just appear to have decided pigeons are not allowed on our lawn and that’s the end of the matter.

It's all about magpies v squirrels in our garden. Or if you wish to look up into the sky and watch some aerial combat worthy of Biggles and Von Richthofen, crows v red kites. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's all about magpies v squirrels in our garden. Or if you wish to look up into the sky and watch some aerial combat worthy of Biggles and Von Richthofen, crows v red kites. 

Kites have really moved south over the last few months.

Three or four confirmed filmed sightings just on the north side of the M4, a few more dubious sightings (by me!) right down on the coast.

As per your post, I’ve watched them being run out of town by the crows.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Kites have really moved south over the last few months.

Three or four confirmed filmed sightings just on the north side of the M4, a few more dubious sightings (by me!) right down on the coast.

As per your post, I’ve watched them being run out of town by the crows.

They're common as muck round here, mostly based at Harewood House (local stately pile) - they've gone from 'endangered species' to 'successful breeding program' to 'bloody nuisance' in twenty years.  And yes, the crows tend to win the dogfights - less lethal armament, but better manoeuvrability. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Are you worried about competition? ;)

Seriously, it was my idea that a trans Tom Baker should have a torrid affair with My Little Pony in a landscape based on Alderon and now everyone’s piling on.

As it were.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Seriously, it was my idea that a trans Tom Baker should have a torrid affair with My Little Pony in a landscape based on Alderon and now everyone’s piling on.

As it were.

Can you get me an 1/8th of that haribo please brother, send the fox brothers with it

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Our garden has become a bit of a wildlife haven. 

nightly visits by hedgehogs and during the day the garden is full of great tits, blue tits (no Kenneth Williams gifs!), goldcrests, blackbirds and even a lesser spotted woodpecker on a fair few occasions.

has been great to sit and watch, kids are learning loads too.

7AEDEBE1-4666-45A7-A473-511D1F6F0BEC.jpeg

I see you've graduated from the @Dom_Wren school of photography.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Our garden has become a bit of a wildlife haven. 

nightly visits by hedgehogs and during the day the garden is full of great tits, blue tits (no Kenneth Williams gifs!), goldcrests, blackbirds and even a lesser spotted woodpecker on a fair few occasions.

has been great to sit and watch, kids are learning loads too.

C7B08C1D-50ED-40E2-B177-4B826A1E7650.jpeg

Going back to my bird eat bird comment.  A couple of years ago we had bluetits in a nest box right near the kitchen window. 

One morning when my young daughter was in the kitchen with me I saw a woodpecker sitting right outside the window on the fence.  I called my daughter over to show her at which point the woodpecker moved from the fence onto the bird box and stuck it's head through the entrance hole.  

I quickly removed my daughter from the scene. 

I've discovered that cheap bird boxes are suicidal for birds as woodpeckers will take them to pieces in no time.  I've bought these woodcrete ones but the birds don't seem to like them much despite the fact that woodpeckers would get a very nasty surprise if they tried to peck them open 😁

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I can’t rank the three main crisp flavours (ready salted, cheese and onion and salt and vinegar), it’s too difficult.

I can, right at the bottom for all three with Ready Salted the absolute bottom

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â