General Chat

Stevo985

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

You have all turned into your parents. 

Oh no, I'm definitely not listening to Sing Something Simple, Military Brass bands, War Theme Tunes and keeping an Abba album in the cupboard just in case I need to seem with it :D 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh no, I'm definitely not listening to Sing Something Simple, Military Brass bands, War Theme Tunes and keeping an Abba album in the cupboard just in case I need to seem with it :D 

I don't recall my Dad listening to music at all. The only performer I recall my Mum liking was Donald Peers. Her sister (my Auntie Doris) was the cool one of their generation, she actually had a record collection (78s), almost all 1930s & 1940s US black music (big band jazz, essentially). 

But @Seat68 is essentially right about me, in the sense that I tend to still prefer stuff from when I was in my teens & twenties (or newer music in that style). 

19 hours ago, ender4 said:

You’ll have heard this song… easily the best song of last year (I guess technically late 2022 but became huge during 2023).

I appreciate your enthusiasm. I guess like it better than the song because at least you're going on a limb.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

You have all turned into your parents. 

Not true. My parents didn't listen to any Rock or Pop music released after about 1965. I still listen to and buy newly released music from modern bands. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

keeping an Abba album in the cupboard just in case I need to seem with it :D 

IMG-20240303-WA0000.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, to cover the sound of singing along obviously 🤷‍♂️

You've heard me sing then? 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We're all in the same boat... 

When I sing most people will jump over the side 😂

So none of you had parents who sat grumbling watching top of the pops and saying it's all noise. I stress you have all turned into your parents. 

We had a caravan in Wales and used to go there most weekends.

My mum would listen to Patsy Cline or Neil Diamond. My dad Bob Marley or UB40.

We also used to have a cassette of a group I have never heard of since, but my little brother (who was a little shit) liked so we had it on a lot… London Boys, has anyone else heard of them?

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

So none of you had parents who sat grumbling watching top of the pops and saying it's all noise. I stress you have all turned into your parents. 

Yes. I've admitted it. And I fully expect my kids to do the same with their kids. It's the natural order of things. Nothing worse than wannabe trendy parents. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Oh my parents, or more specifically my dad definitely did. Repeatedly. 

There was nothing about my choice of music that my dad liked and that was just how I liked it.

I don’t think there’s anything my kids have played that I’ve been particularly interested in, but I’ve got no problem with them playing it, usually in my bloody car. They don’t come to my gigs, I certainly don’t go to theirs.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I don't recall my Dad listening to music at all. The only performer I recall my Mum liking was Donald Peers. Her sister (my Auntie Doris) was the cool one of their generation, she actually had a record collection (78s), almost all 1930s & 1940s US black music (big band jazz, essentially). 

But @Seat68 is essentially right about me, in the sense that I tend to still prefer stuff from when I was in my teens & twenties (or newer music in that style). 

My mother bought me a record once, just as I was starting to show an interest in music and buying my own records. I'm sure she bought it so I'd play something she liked. She had no clue, no clue at all. It’s possibly one of THE WORST records ever made, it even contains bagpipes. Yes she bought me Mull of word removeding Kintyre. She really should have stuck to Max Boyce and Dafydd Iwan.

Thankfully she never repeated this experiment.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

We had a caravan in Wales and used to go there most weekends.

My mum would listen to Patsy Cline or Neil Diamond. My dad Bob Marley or UB40.

We also used to have a cassette of a group I have never heard of since, but my little brother (who was a little shit) liked so we had it on a lot… London Boys, has anyone else heard of them?

Yes - remember this classic when growing up! I'm sure @Xelaand @sidcowwould have had this in their collection!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another vote for not heard that song, or artist and rarely listen to radio 1 or capital (I’m not *quite* middle aged though! I’m a youthful 36-year-old until tomorrow!)

I should add that, although I don't like much music from my kids' era, they like LOTS from mine. 

Thus scientifically proving that the old stuff actually WAS better.  ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Top Of The Pops used to actually have quite a diverse group of acts on it so there was almost always something that somebody in the family liked and you were exposed to different types of songs from the top 40.  I think it helped develop your music taste at a young age, these days I'd have thought that things like Spotify just feed kids the same sort of songs unless they go out of their way to listen to a more mixed playlist.

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Two telly household, I used to watch TOTP on the portable.

I don’t actually recall my parents ever complaining about my music though

I on the other hand, did complain about theirs, in a true Kevin and Perry style quite probably.

Â