General Chat

Stevo985

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

You’re probably just focusing on a point just in front of your eyes making everything seem blurry 

that may be the case but can look at something with nothing else to focus on and still make my vision blurry at will. Don't hate on our super powers, be happy that we can do it and not reasons why it isn't valid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Just seen a thread on Reddit about this so thought I'd ask here.

Can you make your vision go blurry and unfocused on command?

I've always been able to do this and thought everyone could but apparently not.

Yep. I just take my specs off. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, choffer said:

Yep. I just take my specs off. 

When I tested this I kept taking my glasses off, tutting and then putting them back on, then doing the exact same thing next time

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

In the world of super power top trumps, I have varifocals, I don’t even have to take them off to achieve blur mode. Just tilt the head. 

I also have varifocals, I entertain kids by reading a number plate at distance and reading small, but not tiny text in a book. I tell them that they too will one day be like me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I also have varifocals, I entertain kids by reading a number plate at distance and reading small, but not tiny text in a book. I tell them that they too will one day be like me.

Ahh, but can you do this equally well in blazing sunshine or near darkness? The secrets of the photochromic lense is only know by a select, secretive band known as THE TRANSITIONERS. 

A name which worked well in the 70's but hasn't aged well. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ahh, but can you do this equally well in blazing sunshine or near darkness? The secrets of the photochromic lense is only know by a select, secretive band known as THE TRANSITIONERS. 

A name which worked well in the 70's but hasn't aged well. 

I still call them react to light rapide. I absolutely love looking middle aged so yeah. Definitely got some of them. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I've just been trying to find out if Dixie Dean knew our Pongo Waring as they were both born in Birkenhead, 3 months apart. They both started at Tranmere, but were there at different times (according to good old trusty wikipedia).

They both died in 1980 as well, and although Pongo didn't die at Villa Park like Dixie did at Goodison, his ashes were scattered at the Holte End (according to good old trusty wikipedia).

Anyway, back to work.. 

Probably one for the boring thread but I was thinking exactly the same thing when I looked them up the other day! They must have known each other, as communities were closer back then (or so i'd guess!)

Their times at Tranmere were different but their England games overlapped. Dean played 16 times between 1927-1932 and Pongo played 5 times between 1931-1932, but I don't think they played together as they were both Centre Forwards and teams only played with one. Eric Houghton and Billy Walker, both Villa legends, may have played alongside both for England as they were Outside and Inside Lefts, respectively. 

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Can't be 100% sure, but I'd say yes. My Dad actually knew both of them quite well. 

Thats great! I find football from that era (well, anything pre WW2) fascinating. I'd love to go back in time for a day and experience a game. 

On 04/05/2023 at 15:33, mjmooney said:

I've posted about it before on other threads, but my Dad lived in Birkenhead in the 1920s and 30s, worked on the docks, and played for the Cammell Laird shipyard team. He trialled (and failed) for Everton, got taken on by Tranmere Rovers, played in their reserves for a couple of seasons, but as far as I know never made the first team, and eventually gave up the dream. That's him, front centre, in the Cammell Laird side. 

Screenshot_2023-05-04-22-31-20-16_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking after my bed bound Dad today whilst Mrs Sidcow takes my mother for a bit of retail therapy. 

Made him a coffee and they still have a milkman. Had to open a bottle of milk with one of those old foil tops.  It's been absolutely years since I've opened one of those. 

Managed to avoid the follow through and sticking my thumb into the milk. 

My kids will never have opened a bottle like that. 

• Like 2

Still get milk delivered in bottles by a milkman. Conscious decision years ago to support the local economy. Recently the milkman sold up to a large company so I am potentially going to change supplier. 

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

we found a WW2 bullet on site here in frankfurt today

unfortunately the police wouldnt let me keep it

find another one though and we'll need a full UXO survey which are absolutely fascinating things

Why wouldent the police let you keep 1 bullet ? as long as its not an unexploded bomb you should be allowed to keep 1 bullet ?!

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Why wouldent the police let you keep 1 bullet ? as long as its not an unexploded bomb you should be allowed to keep 1 bullet ?!

Because it was unexploded and also had slight corrosion

The excitement of finding it has quickly diminished as the healthy and safety guys from the city have gone **** nuts... Someone will end up red carded from site by the end of the week for picking it up

Â