General Chat

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've got a Soccer Stars sticker album from 1976/77.  It's complete, albeit a bit tatty.  It's probably 50% signed and includes such legends as Brian Little, Andy Gray, Bobby Robson, Bryan Robson and Kevin Keegan.

Any ideas on where or who to approach to get it valued?

Local auction house?

58 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've got a Soccer Stars sticker album from 1976/77.  It's complete, albeit a bit tatty.  It's probably 50% signed and includes such legends as Brian Little, Andy Gray, Bobby Robson, Bryan Robson and Kevin Keegan.

There are a few sports memorabilia auction houses with websites. Not sure how much they would charge though. 

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

image.png.cb53c0abe49c86b80aa33c3275fecaa5.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have some american friends and some canadian friends who are anglophiles, I asked them if they were aware of David Jason, Eric Morecambe or Ronnie Barker and the response was no, not at all. I explained that these people in Britain are amongst the most famous people who ever lived in the UK. I went on with Bruce Forsyth, still nothing, same for Tommy Cooper. Seeing aleksandr the meerkat in a different thread I may try them with him next.

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have some american friends and some canadian friends who are anglophiles, I asked them if they were aware of David Jason, Eric Morecambe or Ronnie Barker and the response was no, not at all. I explained that these people in Britain are amongst the most famous people who ever lived in the UK. I went on with Bruce Forsyth, still nothing, same for Tommy Cooper. Seeing aleksandr the meerkat in a different thread I may try them with him next.

I'm sure there are loads of famous Americans that mean nothing here. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I'm sure there are loads of famous Americans that mean nothing here. 

Oh absolutely, I took for granted that David Jason in particular would be known outside of the UK

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Oh absolutely, I took for granted that David Jason in particular would be known outside of the UK

It's true that America rarely seems to take on UK comedy shows as they are (I believe Python was an exception, but for a niche market). Till Death, Dad's Army, Men Behaving Badly, The Office - all remade with a US cast. There are probably others. 

I have a feeling that “As time goes by” had a bit of following in the US.

In terms of a sitcom being bought by other countries, there was a thing a couple of years ago which said “Keeping up appearances” was the most watched British sitcom overseas. 

I guess that there’s an uptight Britishness stereotype about them that people like.

• Like 1

Was there an American Steptoe? 

I remember reading somewhere tha American sitcoms tend to be more about successful middle class people - Frasier, Friends, Cosby, etc. - as they feel uncomfortable watching program(me)s about 'losers'. 

I believe Keeping Up Appearances was very successful in the US. It's bloody good comedy, a staple of my childhood, but why that one worked in the US when others didn't I've no idea.

I think the only real successful remake has been the Office. And that I believe basically became it's own thing.

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Was there an American Steptoe? 

Sanford and son possibly but maybe it was more influenced by as opposed to a US version of ? 

Edit - you snooze you lose 

Edited by tonyh29

Â