General Chat

Stevo985

10 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Technically as in I live in Swansea now for university but I go back to Nuneaton for the summer break.

Shiny new science and tech campus out of town, or the one by the cricket ground on the seafront? Seafront, always looks like a pretty funky place to be in Uni, access to the beach almost literally on the doorstep. 

Did a tour of a few Uni's with the nipper a few months ago. Brum and Swansea were the two clear faves, but a few staff and lecturers in Brum gave the impression of being a bit up their own arse with how great they were, whilst at the same time, giving out duff information.

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Shiny new science and tech campus out of town, or the one by the cricket ground on the seafront? Seafront, always looks like a pretty funky place to be in Uni, access to the beach almost literally on the doorstep. 

Did a tour of a few Uni's with the nipper a few months ago. Brum and Swansea were the two clear faves, but a few staff and lecturers in Brum gave the impression of being a bit up their own arse with how great they were, whilst at the same time, giving out duff information.

I'm an engineering student so we're at the new campus (It's for engineering and business/management only I believe). I've been here for two years so far so I was at the older one last year and we switched to the Bay campus when it opened last September. 

Yeah, the location is great and was one of the big factors in my choice (the others being Sheffield or Newcastle). Whilst Swansea itself is a bit of a dump, the surroundings and all the beaches are pretty great. Also Swansea offered a scholarship. The new campus is a lot better than the old one, naturally, the only downside I can think of is that it's just a bit out of the way but next year I'll be living about 10 minutes away. 

Edited by Phumfeinz

Yeah, I'm in and out of Swansea a fair bit at the moment and you do tend to see students doing the long walk to that campus. It looks fantastic, but a little remote right now. I'd guess that campus will drive a fair bit of development in that area though.

I'll toot toot next time I pass. Be sure to wave and strike a VT gang pose if you see a balding bloke in an old Merc beeping at you.

• Like 1

I really fancied going to Birmingham University, but ruled it out because I wanted to move away from home.

And because

The_who_live_at_leeds.jpg

3 hours ago, hogso said:

Has it got a ring on? Could be a racer, but odd that it'd be resting, weather was good yesterday. They tend to have to rest when they've flown through bad weather. Could've been attacked by something. My step dad races them, if it does have a ring you can get RSPB or some such to catch it and they'll locate the owner, then they'll come and fetch it.

If it hasn't got a ring, just shove the bleeder off, vermin they are.

Woke up and it had gone, nothing to suggest it was hurt or attacked so assuming it was just **** knackered or confused. 

Could you safely cook and eat a wild urban pigeon if you managed to catch it? Or am I right in assuming they are riddled with disease?  Not sure I'd fancy eating a 'flying rat'.  My presumption was that edible pigeons are farmed or at least seasonally bred.

Just now, BOF said:

Could you safely cook and eat a wild urban pigeon if you managed to catch it? Or am I right in assuming they are riddled with disease?  Not sure I'd fancy eating a 'flying rat'.  My presumption was that edible pigeons are farmed or at least seasonally bred.

Farmed? Nah, surely not? Wild woodpigeons are yer basic eating pigeon. Just watch your fillings on the shotgun pellets.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Farmed? Nah, surely not? Wild woodpigeons are yer basic eating pigeon. Just watch your fillings on the shotgun pellets.

And on the first question, catching a regular pigeon in a city.  Safe to eat?  And no, rest assured I won't be testing out your answer.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

And on the first question, catching a regular pigeon in a city.  Safe to eat?  And no, rest assured I won't be testing out your answer.

As long as you cook it right you can .

21 hours ago, BOF said:

Blog post by a kid who was in a Masterchef final making a meal for nothing, including using a pigeon found dead. She doesn't eat it herself, mind you, but rather leaves it out for...who/whatever

Oddly, The Sun has decided to forgo it's normal entertainment fodder to review Hugh Bonneville's new venture, Ibsen's "An Enemy of the People". They seem to be keen to emphasise the themes of cover-ups, lies and whistleblowing, for some reason. There's also an odd reference to how much he loves his wife. 

All very unlike The Sun.

ACTOR Hugh Bonneville returned to the stage last night in a play about newspapers, cover-ups and lies.

The Downton Abbey star, 52, has the lead role in Norwegian Henrik Ibsen’s play An Enemy of the People.

Bonneville, who recently spoke on Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs of his deep love for wife of 18 years Lulu, plays brilliant Dr Stockmann.

He makes a shocking scientific discovery about the standards of sanitation at the local spa — but when he tries to make it public his brother, the Mayor, tries to prevent it.

In a scene about the cleanliness of the baths, the doc says: “All our spiritual springs are poisoned and the whole of our society rests on the plague-infected soil of lies.”

Bonneville’s performance in Chichester, West Sussex, has been hailed as “marvellous”.

Hugh Bonneville ditches his safe family man image for a performance packed with passion and desire as he fights to reveal a corrosive secret in his first return to the stage in more than a decade.

Forget the staid Earl of Grantham of TV’s Downton Abbey fame; this Bonneville character throws himself headlong into the fiercest of battles against lies and deceit with admirable determination.

The truth and who deserves to hear it, no matter what cost to reputation and image, is an age-old question as relevant today as when Henrik Ibsen posed it in 1882, and the Norwegian playwright could have wished for no better advocate than Bonneville.

Ibsen was railing against the hypocrisy of those who would deny the public the right to make up their own minds when he penned this classic and Bonneville captures the mood perfectly as Ibsen’s flawed hero Dr Tomas Stockmann.

TV fans of Downton’s slow-paced period drama might be surprised by the red-hot fervour the actor is capable of in his pursuit of satisfaction.

Something is rotten at the heart of Dr Stockmann’s world and as Chief Medical Officer to the town’s new municipal baths he is horrified to find the waters are polluted and certain the public should know all the squalid facts, no matter the obstruction by the authorities.

The local newspaper is all for exposing the lies and the corruption but, when forces contrive to restrain the press, Bonneville's Dr Stockmann is determined the townsfolk should know, whether in print or at a public hearing, of this perversion and of those who would prostitute themselves to hide the truth.

Under director Howard Davies, Bonneville produces a table-thumping, microphone-grabbing tour de force and what is revealed is a man not afraid to rub people up the wrong way in his impetuous, self-righteous, tunnel vision of what is right.

It is his single-minded conviction that only his version of the truth is right which, while initially inspiring, is the trait which ultimately brings about his downfall.

Why should he hide the truth, he demands. “Too many people already know about it,” he rants.

"You think you can silence me and the truth but things are not going to go as smoothly as you think," he vows.

But Bonneville's character finds he is a lone voice against the wider public.

There is pathos mixed with the comic moments as Dr Stockmann arrives at the final conclusion that 'the strongest man in the world is the man who stands alone.'

Ibsen’s play, adapted by Christopher Hampton, is billed as a searing examination of the workings of power and influence and an investigation of who holds real authority in society.

No one does more than Bonneville to expose the poisonous, corrupting nature of secrets and lies and, given the choice to make up their own minds, the public will give this performance a hearty thumbs up.

“It feels incredibly contemporary with its central theme of the whistleblower’s voice being drowned out by public opinion,” Bonneville said recently to explain what drew him to the role.

“One minute he’s a hero, the next a pariah.”

Edited by choffer

Just seen a story on the news about a bloke who was trapped for 8 hours under 1000 tons of cheese after racking collapsed overhead 

If you ask me edam well deserves any compensation he receives

They're stilton work out what happened but at least they found the forklift driver. I hope he gets feta. 

Â