Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear what a bitter lot.

Must of been such a memorable performance for them playing us off the park, he can't even remember the score.

From the Football 365 mailbox.

A Very Long Way Of Saying 'Stop Picking On Spurs, You Nasty People'

I'm almost certain that the football world has done itself an horiffic injury to its ligaments, having jerked its knee so many times in reaction to every sodding weekend.

Take the weekend just gone, for instance. Let me focus on my beloved Spurs, who are 'bottlers', and 'will definitely not make the top four'. The thing is, these opinions aren't necessarily wrong, but I know for a fact that they are based not on a dispassionate and sensible analysis, but on the fact that, oh, we, erm, lost a game that we should have won. That. Is. It. If we'd won the game, it'd have been hailed as a signal of our intent to gatecrash the top four this season. There seems to be no shades of grey. Maybe we'll make the top four. Maybe we won't.

I'm personally of the opinion that we won't make the top four. United, Arsenal and Chelsea are too strong, you can never write Liverpool off, and Man City's squad is too strong to finish below fifth.

However, Aston bloody Villa are NOT going to finish in the top four at our expense. Yes, they beat Manchester United, well done. They also beat Chelsea. I seem to remember that Middlesbrough were also quite good at beating the top four, and look where they ended up.

When we played Aston Villa, we absolutely pummelled them into the ground. We drew 2-2, but they were holding on for dear life, make no mistake. We then played Everton off the park, and although, admittedly, we carelessly gave them a way back into the game, we would still have won but for our missed penalty. It's funny that Defoe was castigated for missing that penalty, yet there were four or five penalty misses that weekend. Get over it, people. Sometimes people miss penalties.

Now, the Wolves game was a freak result. We played badly, we didn't turn up. And we lost. It's going to happen. All three of the relegated teams this year will take points off a top-eight team. Really, I should be pleased about that, after all, it would count as an unpredictable result, and that's what we like to see in the Premier League. However, I have come to dread freak results like this, simply because of the dross I am going to read in the media the next day about how the top-eight team is, despite their top-eight status, rubbish, and is never going to make a challenge for the top four, and they have a soft centre, and they are responsible for world famine, etc.

Spurs suffered a blip against Wolves. Anyone with half a brain can see that we've been playing pretty well this season. Not quite well enough to break into the top four, although we still have an outside chance of doing so, but that's because the top four are all good teams, (even Liverpool), who have finished consistently in the top four for years because, hey, they've got the best players.

I'm going to come out and say it. On Wednesday, we will have recovered from our blip, and we will give Man City an excellent game, and we will win the game. But when we do win, I do not want to see an idiotic article or blog or letter that says that either:

1.) Spurs will finish in the top four.

2.) Man City have no chance of finishing in the top four.

because this analysis is shallow, it's useless and it's intensely irritating.

Thank you.

Shaun (you're all too fickle to deserve a witty epigram in bracket from me) Livingston

The funny thing about that rant is that his whole point is that Wolves was just one game and one result and they had a bad day and it can't be used as a proof of their top 4 chances. Then he goes on and says Villa won't make it in to top 4 because we were outplayed in one game. Logic fail.

When we played Spurs our form and style was bad, we ground a few results out, even when off from and IMO thats the stuff of a top 4 team. We have now found a style that suits, Milner in the middle, we are finally starting to play ourselves into some sort of form and a decent style..

Spurs remind me so much of us last season. We were challenging and the wheels dropped off after a half bad result. Even the fans comments are of a similar vain. I think they will lose against City tonight and then the flood gates will open.

I just hope that when we hit our blip this season, we can all hold it together better, especially after our experience of last season.

Still think it will be a battle for a top 6 finish this year and Spurs will be in it.

However, Aston bloody Villa are NOT going to finish in the top four at our expense. Yes, they beat Manchester United, well done. They also beat Chelsea. I seem to remember that Middlesbrough were also quite good at beating the top four, and look where they ended up.

When we played Aston Villa, we absolutely pummelled them into the ground. We drew 2-2, but they were holding on for dear life, make no mistake.

While I agree they dominated the second half did Heskey not almost nick it for us right at the end? Wouldn't consider it holding on for dear life.

But when we do win, I do not want to see an idiotic article or blog or letter that says that either:

1.) Spurs will finish in the top four.

2.) Man City have no chance of finishing in the top four.

because this analysis is shallow, it's useless and it's intensely irritating.

I do kind of agree with the point he is making (albeit arrogantly) here.

Man City, Spurs and ourselves seem to be taking it in turns to be flavour of the week. A high profile win and the team is lauded and the manager is one who has a proven track record of success. A few losses and the team is stale and the manager is too stuck in his ways to change the system.

As we all learned (painfully) last year, getting excited about points above 5th, games in hand (etc) this early in the season is a nonsense.

As we all learned (painfully) last year, getting excited about points above 5th, games in hand (etc) this early in the season is a nonsense.

Bang on the button, lets leave it the Spurs and City fans to worry about top 4 finishes in December, Jan............on May 9th, it will count and not before.

Yep, very good win against City. I expect a return from Glaston in the next day or two.

Spurs will win more than they lose at WHL but it's away from home which will make or break their season so let's see how they get on at Blackburn and Fulham over the next ten days.

Was an awful game to watch between two average teams. I thought Spurs played total football as some of there fans think. It was just hoof ball to Crouch for most of the game with the wingers and Defoe picking up the pieces.

Spurs have too man average players in their team like Assou-Ekotto, Palacios(no way is he worth the money they paid for him).

Kranjcar is a top player and a steal at 3million

Â