PL: Liverpool a 2009/08/24 Ratings and Reactions

LancsVillan

Can't do anymore than a win at Anfield.

10 for everyone, even the subs, squad, tea lady, coach driver, kit man!!!!!

Well done to everyone. Rode our luck at times, we all now that, but christ for the first time in a while this team showed a HUGE set of balls, some character and fight.

See us who question things don't do so as we like to 'moan'. We just want to see some fire in the belly of the team. Show that kind of spirit, fight and growing belief and we'll do alright this season, and that 10 minute period after the first goal you physically saw us grwo in our belief where we played great stuff and really took the game to plop resulting in the 2nd goal.

We showed tonight what I have asked for, which is to fight for the shirt. I don't ask to win every week, or to be guaranteed top six, just a commitment to the cause. Tonights performance deserves every plaudit coming. Well done boys.

Taken from RAWK. :D

First time I've been able to get to anfield in a while. I can't believe we got outsung by the villa fans. Does that happen often at league games?

Only when we play Villa.

I'm amazed at our away support, eve the 'almighty Liverpool fans' seem to think we regularly outsing them. 8)

Taken from RAWK. :D

First time I've been able to get to anfield in a while. I can't believe we got outsung by the villa fans. Does that happen often at league games?

Only when we play Villa.

I'm amazed at our away support, eve the 'almighty Liverpool fans' seem to think we regularly outsing them. 8)

Actually, I think JohnnyBoy is merely commenting that Villa fans only outsing Liverpool fans when Villa comes to Anfield.... ;)

Cuellar 6 A couple of bad mistakes early on, anonymous later

Loved reading through this thread, but am baffled how our CB who witheld attack after attack during the game could be classed as anonymous.

That was me, btw. I resisted the temptation to see what others wrote before rating the players. This was just my impression. But being anonymous is not necessarily a bad thing for a defender!

It would be great to be totally un-anonymous (!) in a Martin Laursen way, but failing that I'll take anonymous every time.

I do like Cuellar, and I didn't mean to have a go at him. He did get done a couple of times early on, though.

Maybe I mis-rated Cuellar, but I was spot on with all the others :D

I didn't watch the game in HD, but I have a feeling this might have been the best US broadcast of a PL game in history. ESPN's production is far above Setanta's or the Premier League international feeds'. The game of course, has nothing to do with that.

I'm wondering if the late SportsCenter will show highlights... if they do, I'll record them and perhaps post a link (if that's allowed), if only for amusement of a SportsCenter anchor narrating.

I didn't watch the game in HD, but I have a feeling this might have been the best US broadcast of a PL game in history. ESPN's production is far above Setanta's or the Premier League international feeds'. The game of course, has nothing to do with that.

I'm wondering if the late SportsCenter will show highlights... if they do, I'll record them and perhaps post a link (if that's allowed), if only for amusement of a SportsCenter anchor narrating.

Yeah, so nice not to have the FSC muppets yap away before kickoff. And no Julie Foudy, wooooooot!

Yeah, so nice not to have the FSC muppets yap away before kickoff. And no Julie Foudy, wooooooot!

So it looks like Georgie Bingham and whatever retired footballers ESPN can get to come to Bristol on a Saturday morning (Shaka Hislop who's apparently coaching down the road at Quinnipiac is one of the notable ones) will present the games where ESPN US takes the international feed. She stumbled a few times last Saturday (getting Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney confused: "that was Rooney's first goal since January, when he was of course with Newcastle"), but somehow I can forgive that... there're three good points about her (not least is the East Anglian accent...).

For games that are shared with ESPN UK, it'll be more or less straight into the game (ESPN US picked up the ESPN UK feed when Ray Stubbs handed it off to Jon Champion, though the edition of SportsCenter that preceded the game ran over its allotted time by a bit), the UK halftime show, and straight out of the game to commercials and regular ESPN programming.

Very good camera work, though it took ESPN2 several minutes to dispense with the BottomLine, which was ruining some of the UK lower-thirds.

espnlowerthird.png

How anyone could have questioned Friedel's ability between the sticks amazes me, he showed today once again why he is a very, very special keeper. **** delighted btw watching the game for a second time right now in glorious HD93 minutes on the clock can't wait for the whistle :)

So it looks like Georgie Bingham and whatever retired footballers ESPN can get to come to Bristol on a Saturday morning (Shaka Hislop who's apparently coaching down the road at Quinnipiac is one of the notable ones) will present the games where ESPN US takes the international feed. She stumbled a few times last Saturday (getting Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney confused: "that was Rooney's first goal since January, when he was of course with Newcastle"), but somehow I can forgive that... there're three good points about her (not least is the East Anglian accent...).

For games that are shared with ESPN UK, it'll be more or less straight into the game (ESPN US picked up the ESPN UK feed when Ray Stubbs handed it off to Jon Champion, though the edition of SportsCenter that preceded the game ran over its allotted time by a bit), the UK halftime show, and straight out of the game to commercials and regular ESPN programming.

Very good camera work, though it took ESPN2 several minutes to dispense with the BottomLine, which was ruining some of the UK lower-thirds.

espnlowerthird.png

Hold on, Foudy WAS in studio on Sat.???????

Wow! Just watched the game again and that was a throwback to the way we were playing last December - soaking up pressure, defending well, great at set pieces and always a threat on the break.

The 4-5-1 is made for playing away from home, and I have to say the midfield three of Petrov, NRC and Sidwell played really well today - swapping roles constantly to tackle, harry, defend and break forward.

Big credit to the defence and goalkeeper obviously, + to the forwards as well. And apparently Emil Heskey has a role after all, as our new left back! :lol:

Overall a great team performance and a great managing by MON.

A couple of questions, though. Which is the real Villa - today or Wigan? And where is Carew?

Going into half time with a 2 goal lead I would have happily taken a point - and the fact that they goal back but we still had a clear 2 goal margin at the end suggests very strongly that the boys are getting their mojo back.

Too many times last year - think the Man Utd game especially, we'd have given up the lead and possibly even gone on to lose.

Make no mistake, this match will be massive in terms of boosting confidence and self-belief.

Davies, Friedel and NRC all deserve an equal share of the kudos.

I thought Petrov and Beye were also ver influential early as well.

Hopefully this will carry on into Thursday and the boys can dish out some more against Rapid.

Brad 8 - Great saves

Shorey 7 - Best game for us,

Davies 8 - Brilliant - Both him and Cuellar need to play more together to have a better understanding, both went for same ball about 3 times

Cuellar 8 - Brilliant

Beye 8 - was awesome

Sidwell 8 - Terrific, ran his socks of

NRC 8.5 - Just fantastic, did what he does best, close down players and win the ball

Petrov 8 - Excellent, sheilded the defence, kept the ball, passed well

Ash 7 - Great free kick, chased back all night when under pressure, switched to middle to cause more problems at times

Milner 7 - Typical Milner performance, never stopped running

Gabby 7 - Hes bulked up quite a bit, was good, caused them problems but needs to improve his first touch

MON - 8.5 - Got his tactics and team spot on