PL: Liverpool a 2009/08/24 Ratings and Reactions

LancsVillan

From RAWK 24/11/2009 First time I've been able to get to anfield in a while. I can't believe we got outsung by the villa fans.

Does that happen often at league games?

Only when we play Villa.

My new signature brilliant!!

Cheers Runetune!

Just seen the game. Almost perfect. Petrov and NRC and who miss Barry? Well, we could do with a more skilled player like van der Vart in front of them and Young and Milner on the wings. That would be very good, I think. Against any team. And 1 or 2 central defenders and maybe Warnock and then we can be flying again. This game gave me hope. Not because of the result, but the way we played. Everybody gave their all. Can we keep on doing that, this'll be a great season. :nod: But it's a bit fragile, yet. Hope people can be a bit more patient.

The defense held firm and IMO found some confidence as the game went on. Beye kept the ball well and was strong in the tackle, impressive for his second game. Davies and Carlos got more involved as of late and battled at every opportunity. Shorey, well thats why he was brought IMO, very good in possession, loves to run with the ball and passes very well. His defensive display was better. I especially liked the fact he seem to stay with his man more , 9/10 times he didn't challenge, just ran in his way, none of that giving up bollox we have seen in the past, well played.

Brad what a performance save after save, strong with decent distribution.

OUR midfield was superb, NRC put in the type of performance that was last seen at Villa when Boateng was here. Sidwell also gave us great movement, Petrov played his usual game, well played. Milner seemed to be roaming around more and was on the left and the right side a few times. A Young had a quiet game by his standards, but kept Johnson quiet.

Gabby, unsung hero IMO. The amount of work he put in was unbelievable ran and ran. He make a big difference to games because of his pace. L Pool had to keep deep and double up on him, this stretched the game and kept the pressure of us. You do not get this with Heskey or Carew. Infact its hard to think of another player who has these attributes, Drogba can play it and so can Anelka.

MOTM Got to be NRC with Brad closely behind. More importantly for me though is the fact that all the players played at or close to their personnel best (bar A Young). UTV

PS I Agree, its a nice top, L Pool must hate the site of white shirts ;)

highlights here

German commentary, but at least you get to see Reina get booked for dissent for kicking the ball away thus allowing time for the corner to be taken and us scoring, unlike SSN not showing this in their highlights of the match.

Thanks for the link, I don't always get to see the match on tv unless it is MOTD, or on Sky Sports News. So I very much appreciate that.

I thought it was strange that we were awarded a Penalty at Anfield, that sort of thing rarely happens. The Penalty had to have been a 250% certain penalty. The ref couldn't have got away with not giving that one as Gerrard missed the ball by about a metre. Hehe.

A great and unexpected result, hopefully this will give the lads some confidence and act as a springboard for the rest of the season.

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelighted.

I regard myself as one of the most optimistic Villa fans around, but even I was dreading this game. I went to the 5 - 0 thrashing last season and was preparing for a similar score line when I settled in front of the TV at my mates to watch this one.

As has been said the midfield was superb, 4-5-1 is definitely the way to go away from home. However, as we found out last season, at home it's difficult to break teams down with this system, so I don't think it's a case of switching to 4-5-1 and sticking with it regardless.

I think Cuellar looks so much better when we are under siege, when he just throws himself into things, last ditch challenges and blocks. Maybe this is why he was so good in that European run for Rangers as he always had a lot to do?

Hopefully this result will lift the mood amongst the fans and we get a decent crowd down VP on Thursday to help the boys turn the tie around.

Up The Villa!

Anyone know who it was who won the ball that kicked off the counter attack that lead to the freekick for the first goal? At a glance it looks like Sidders chasing back but can't be certain. Can anyone confirm/deny this for me?

Andriy Voronin looks like a scouse woman and a good looking one at that.

Also shows what a total lack of depth Liverpool have on their bench, the likes of Voronin are hardly match winners or likely to change a match.

Anyone know who it was who won the ball that kicked off the counter attack that lead to the freekick for the first goal? At a glance it looks like Sidders chasing back but can't be certain. Can anyone confirm/deny this for me?

It was Sidders who won it on the ground just infront of our penalty area & managed somehow to kick it to Petrov - who ran with the ball until Lucas, as would have it bundled into him over for the free kick... the rest is, as they say, history!

I've just watched the game again & we played really well.. By NO means was it all Liverpool. They couldn't commit all out attack because you could see them with one eye on the counter attack....

Brad Fiedel was phenomenal

Cuellar, Davis were brilliant and I thought Beye, Shorey and Milner were as well

& Not forgetting Sidwell & Petrov because they really held the middle.

Mascherano looked the best of Liverpool but he's so cynical at times.

It was Sidders who won it on the ground just infront of our penalty area & managed somehow to kick it to Petrov - who ran with the ball until Lucas, as would have it bundled into him over for the free kick... the rest is, as they say, history!

I've just watched the game again & we played really well.. By NO means was it all Liverpool. They couldn't commit all out attack because you could see them with one eye on the counter attack....

Brad Fiedel was phenomenal

Cuellar, Davis were brilliant and I thought Beye, Shorey and Milner were as well

& Not forgetting Sidwell & Petrov because they really held the middle.

Mascherano looked the best of Liverpool but he's so cynical at times.

Cheers, thought so.

And yeah our midfield dominated theirs in the centre, that was the difference. Gerrard wasn't in the game, Mascherano and Lucas weren't in it at all. We were all over them like a rash.

best player was reo-coker for me... gave us some dynamism in the centre of the park, while working so hard to close down the opposition...

davies was superb too, even with his shoulder injury...

delighted with a result i never expected....

liverpool played the better football overall, but we worked hard, played a good away day tactic and took our chances...

i do however, hope it doesnt paper over the cracks...

martin o'neill has a LOT of work to do in terms of building the squad over the next week...

I meant to say of course NRC was brilliant... but TBH I don't think there was one bad performance last night.. Ashley Young wasn't so effective going forward but then his job was to keep an eye on Glen Johnson. Also noticed - Gabby looked a much better threat again playing on his own & then we break Ashley Young backs him up. Good stuff!