PL: Liverpool a 2009/08/24 Ratings and Reactions

LancsVillan

Football is a funny old game..that's why we all love it..never been more sure of a villa defeat tonight..and we win haha

This is the game of the season for me...has been for as long as i can remember..So thank you very much AVFC for putting in a performance like that...were liverpool poor or did we stop them from playing ?? Anyone who knows alittle about football could clearly see that we stopped them from playing..we took out gerrard and torres and that was it.

I didnt watch the whole of the second half as i was so **** nervous..but i give a 10 to evry single villa player who was on the pitch tonight.

So proud to be a villa fan tonight! UTV

NRC aint good enough. Shocking as usual. MON out. BOO!

Thought we were superb. NRC, Cuellar, Friedel and Beye were immense. Shorey had a very good game, Gabby ran his socks off, Petrov was back to his best.

Maybe it aint all as doom and gloom as we thought.

How fast things change on these boards! :D

Best game I've seen NRC play for some time, same with Cuellar and Davies. So miss this feeling of hopefullness for the team, not since Blackburn have we had much to cheer about!

Liverpool did play poorly tbf on teh pundits, but teams never play poorly out of choice, its the opposition that force them into it.

Friedel 9- Some great reflexes, in vital moments of the game.

Beye 8- Good positioning, good in the air, used his strength well.

Cuellar 8- Looked shaky at start, but made some good tackles and got in the way of everything.

Davies 10- Monster, blocked and headed away everything and even scored!

Shorey 8- Used possesion well and barely lost it, didn't do too bad defending either.

NRC 10- Showed exactly how to protect a back four, magnificent Nigel and full credit to you for taking your chance.

Sidwell 8- Was quiet for patches, but battled hard and had the several bursts forward which took pressure off defence.

Petrov 8- Very composed and clever with possesion.

Milner 8- A machine, does he every take a breather, it's like having an extra player.

Young 7- Quiet alot but battled hard like the rest of the team.

Gabby 8- Ran the line so so wel, he's not intelligent but he puts so much effort and has a very good delivery from out wide.

UTV

Well done lads, this was a result we really needed and now lets carry this on for the rest of the season.

Friedel 8 Brilliant after early fumble, if only he could catch

Beye 7 Nothing spectacular, but no shockers either

Cuellar 6 A couple of bad mistakes early on, anonymous later

Davies 9 MOTM Those shoulder steroids did the trick

Shorey 7 Some dodgy moments, but goal line clearance and good on the ball

Milner 7 Usual hard working performance, without doing anything spectacular this time.

NRC 8 Some great tackling as expected, and some unexpected good passes.

Petrov 7.5 Composed, reliable and some great interceptions

Sidwell 7 Some very timely touches, and generally looking a more confident player.

Young 7.5 Great free kick, brilliant penalty, but his usual failure to pass when surrounded by three players. Should have scored from late chance.

Gabby 7 Didn't do much as a striker, but won lots of corners and put in some good crosses. Never had great service to be fair.

Heskey 7 Did well, usual competent display, usual lack of goals

good, controlled, effort-filled performance.

gritty defending and non stop running and working

We can be picky over some of the quality of our play, we didnt always hold the ball as well as we could

and there were times we could have done better going forward on the break but

overall very pleased.

fantastic reaction to the wigan defeat and thats all i could ask for.

the win is a massive bonus.

onwards and upwards i hope

fantastic result, really hard fought...

...but some of you are going a little ott!!

friedel was our man of the match - and a good thing too otherwise it could have been a completely different outcome.

shots on target: liv 12 villa 4

shots of target: liv 9 villa 3

corners: liv 10 villa 4

a great win, classic away performance. we scored goals and took three points - but we were the second best team on the pitch. i know that he who scores more wins, but we arent suddenly a team ready to kick down the doors of the champions league i'm afraid. after the wigan shambles it is a great lift for everyone and hopefully now the lads will get some confidence back but lets not use this win to paper over the cracks that have been developing either because all of the problems with the squad are still there.

Oh goodness I did enjoy that. We enjoyed a slice of luck but with our effort and endeavour we deserved it. The cynic in me wonders where all the MON out brigade are, and just how long this thread would be by now if we had received our expected thrashing.

NRC was man of the match for me, although he still needs to learn to release his pass quicker. But that is just me being pedantic ;) Some of Petrov's tricks to keep possession and beat Liverpool players were just lovely ... in fact we played some good stuff all over the pitch. Well done to the lads!

Well done to the boy's. 4-5-1 works away from home but at Villa park we need to play 4-4-2 as other teams will come and defend all day. I have said a few times that NRC should play as he gives us drive and bite in midfield. All the VT's who go on about his passing might see the real value of NRC tonight. Any way excelent 3 points and lets follow it up Sunday with another win. :D

fantastic result, really hard fought...

...but some of you are going a little ott!!

friedel was our man of the match - and a good thing too otherwise it could have been a completely different outcome.

shots on target: liv 12 villa 4

shots of target: liv 9 villa 3

corners: liv 10 villa 4

a great win, classic away performance. we scored goals and took three points - but we were the second best team on the pitch. i know that he who scores more wins, but we arent suddenly a team ready to kick down the doors of the champions league i'm afraid. after the wigan shambles it is a great lift for everyone and hopefully now the lads will get some confidence back but lets not use this win to paper over the cracks that have been developing either because all of the problems with the squad are still there.

Absolute bullshit my good man. We were of course the better team, every single pundit and Liverpool fan agrees.

It's clear 4-5-1 works for us. Especially away from home. We need more strikers on Thursday, but in the Premiership 4-5-1 does us just nicely.

This.........

What a result, I am so glad I kept stum over the last few weeks :lol: