Is Cuellar a good player?

vivaashleyyoung

Is Cuellar good enough?  

365 members have voted

1. 1. Is Cuellar good enough?

• Yes
    • No

Hangon a minute, name me one person on here who said when we signed Cuellar it was nothing short of a quality signing. This bloke was immense for Rangers.

And....what? He turned out to be crap. It's not our fault, we don't get paid £3m a year to buy the players.

Where is this "he played RB all last year" - err , selective memory - coz NO HE DIDN'T

Funnily enough when we were good - he played right back, coz Davies was preferred in the centre with Laursen.

When Laursen was crocked he played CB virtually every game and was a liability.

Was anyone at Sunderland ? - the guy was a joke ! , he was ripped apart all game and only through Freidal making about 6 world class saves kept us in it - to nick it.

You either have it - or you don't. Carragher is a centre back who was forced to play right back - Carragher has it. Cueller hasn;t

Answer it simply - if Cueller was so immense as centre back - why did MON move him and not Davies ? - coz , as we saw, he was willing to play about 6 players at right back last year, and had Luke Young available, so it certainly wasnt because he was the best there !

PaulAndonya.

Disagree!!

Who played against Arsenal, Hull, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Wigan etc....Yep that's right, Zat Knight!

Cuellar played around 6/7 games at CB! He also missed 1 or 2 at the end through injury!

Oh so thats Arsenal that we drew

Pompey that we won

Hull that we won

Blackburn that we won

and Wigan (away presume) that we......er.......WON, or home draw, clean sheet and great performance......

er

I REST THE CASE FOR THE PROSECUTION YOUR HONOUR :D:D:crylaugh:

Cuellar along with Heskey are the mainstay of our problem. I ve never seen Cuellar have a good game for us - he looks far to slow, his passing is poor, his tacking seems ok - but thats not nearly . enough at this level. Davis I accept has been equally poor for a while now....but he has had some good games for villa - WTF is going on with that shoulder.....why wasn't it sorted in the close season.

Cuellar came with a big fee and some reputation - to me he hasn't justified it and is in the team purley because there is no alternative. As soon as a cb is signed he should be ousted to the bench.

i really thought he would step up this year. he looked good in the peace cup and i saw how good he was for rangers against some good european opposition, he used to be the dominant "head everything" player like laursen.

i mean the guy is 6'3, 13st. hes a big bloke, likes to get stuck in, win headers hes got all the physical attributes to play the laursen role but he doesnt for us. davies seemed to be marking rodellaga yesterday and cuellar covering. but davies isnt a dominant CB, he lacks the physical presence, he is a covering type of player.

cuellar was good in his few games with laursen and he seemed to have a knack of making crucial tackles and interceptions. i noticed when he played with davies last year, there was many times he made some great last ditch challenges to cover for davies' mistakes.

so do they both need to play alongside a tall heading machine like laursen, are they both strictly "covering" players or is it another tatical blunder by MON and things could improve by swapping their roles. either way something needs to happen.

Cuellar was one of our better players yesterday. It couldn't have been easy having midfielders breaking from deep at you whilst the midfield gave little or no cover and Davies and Shorey having very bad off days.

He won a lot in the air, never shirked a challenge and generally retained possession with his passing. I can remember a couple of clearances that he could have done better with but, when people have taken a dislike to a player, they will remember those first and last and not the good things a player does.

Thankfully your poll reveals not all Villa fans carry white canes ;)

With an experienced head at the back he could be solid, at the moment he needs guidance which he isn't going to get from CD, still though, for 7-8 Million IMO he's just not good enough.
What the hell are you going on about ?. Cuellars just turning 28.

From what I have seen, no he's not good enough. He dives in way too much especially high up the pitch which means he is frequently caught out of position. Hopefully he'll come good because I don't know if Davies will ever be up to standard.

Needs to settle into a partnership, which isn't going to happen with Davies as things stand right now. But yeah, he's a good player imo.

this is a very good point, how can he improve or develop his game playing alongside a donkey like davies?

I rate him and feel he deserves a place, but more importantly he deserves a decent partner.

I think the Peace Cup showed that Cueller and Davies can, given time, play together.

For me one of the problems if Friedel. Again the Peace Cup showed it's painfully obvious that Baby Brad should be number one. His constant organising, barking orders at the defence, along with his agility and dominance remind me or a young Schmeichel, and with him there showing defensive leadership Cueller looked a different player.

For me, Guzan HAS to start now.

For me the main defensive problem is that there are 3 defenders out of the 4 attempting to do their jobs. Shorey is possibly the worst LB we have had for some time. Defensively he is shit and he was going forward losing the ball and constantly getting caught out of position. This meant Davies was moving out to the left to cover and this stretched our whole defense. MON already knew Shorey wasn't up to it and what has he done, diddly squat as per usual!!

Davies is poor, Cuellar for me is a good player, so yes, I'm also glad fellow Villans can see this.

This Villan doesnt. Davies is very good when he hasnt got Nicky 'dont pass to me' Shorey and an uptight and nervous Carlos Cueller next to him. The Davies/Laursen partnership was excellent ...remember.

I had huge hopes for him like everyone else - and in pre-season he looked good.

However, when he gives a performance like against Wigan we can all understand he is not anywhere

near the best players in the league. Sure, you had Everton who let in 6 goals at home to Arsenal but

at least we know their players are capable of keeping the goal shut. Cuellar has always looked out of

sorts on the right back and now his gruesome PL displays have continued.

Looks shaky when running, looks like he doesn't control his body that easily and his passing is poor.

Â