Is Cuellar a good player?

vivaashleyyoung

Is Cuellar good enough?  

365 members have voted

1. 1. Is Cuellar good enough?

• Yes
    • No

With an experienced head at the back he could be solid, at the moment he needs guidance which he isn't going to get from CD, still though, for 7-8 Million IMO he's just not good enough.
What the hell are you going on about ?. Cuellars just turning 28.

His age is irrelevant, it's only his second Premeirship season and last season he spent most of his time at right back ... the season before that he was in Scotland. :shock:

Top level career to date:

2003–2007 Osasuna 70 (2)

2007–2008 Rangers 36 (4)

2008– Aston Villa 29 (0)

That amounts to 135 top level games, around 30 per cent of which have been played in the SPL.

Oh and he admits he struggles to understand what the manager is saying to him.

As I said I think he can be a good player, as shown when playing alongside Laursen last year, but he needs a strong player alongside him, not CD.

I have faith in him, but an out of form Davies and a woeful Shorey aren't helping anyone at the moment. Davies switched off on numerous occasions which meant we were on the back foot. This meant from my view point, the Cueller was forever trying to cover two positions instead of doing his own job.

With an experienced CB, my choice would be Turner; I think he would do well.

I think both of them are good players but not together at the minute.

Cuellar needs to adjust to the Premier League but to do this he needs a partner to lead the line while he can concentrate on getting up to speed. Even Vidic took 6 months and he was slotting alongside the best CB in the Premier League IMHO and into a settled defence. Hangeland looked much better in his second season. Cuellar is being expected to do it alongside Nicky Shorey, possibly the worst LB in the premiership, and Davies, a relatively immature and unexperienced player. I believe that, unless you are coming from Italy, Spain or possibly Germany, the Premier League is a huge step up.

Davies reminds me of Dawson at Spurs - looks great alongside an experienced Pro. For Dawson, see King & Woodgate, compared to Davies with Laursen. I think Davies is better - stronger, quicker and better in the air - but he needs help at his age. I don't think CB's mature until their mid 20's.

We definitely need an experienced Premier League CB to partner either one of them.

Just as important though, IMO, they also need some cover from a DCM. NRC has to play for me. He has the energy, drive and leadership to sit there and stop the other team playing. If his passing is weak then it is down to the other 3 or 4 in the middle to get close enough to pick it up of him. If not NRC then MON needs to get another player who can play that role. This will do three things:

1. Protect the CBs from being overrun.

2. Give us a leader/talker/skipper in there.

3. Allow the full backs to puch on when required.

Stan is not that player. He hasn't got the energy or drive to fill that hole.

Stan is not that player. He hasn't got the energy or drive to fill that hole.

I'm afraid to say you're very right here. I know Petrov was injured on Saturday but he's not up to the job. His passing is average and very few of them go forward. (witness MON's blast at him vs west ham last season).

Not just picking on him, I could write a critique on all of them but you have to start somewhere.

NRC cant pass either but he breaks the play up much better than Petrov.

No another silly signing made by MON but then again MON loves signings his old club friends.

Its either him or Davies thats shite or both of them.

Funny because I thought that Cuellar was signed from Rangers and MON managed Celtic; Ranger's bitter rivals :oops:

He is total **** garbage.

Then how do you explain his Uefa cup performances for Rangers? Top level opposition and outstanding displays.

I'm prepared to accept that he might not be good enough (although I think he will improve with time), but to say he's 'total **** garbage' is, well, total **** garbage.

• 2 weeks later...

So did I.

He's not awful by any stretch. Last season he played in the majority of our 14 or 15 game unbeaten run (admitedly mostly at right back) and apart from getting outjumped once or twice in the air, it's not like he was costing us goals every game.

He's good in the air and I think he's a good anticipator at tackling and stretching to get the ball like Mellberg was. His weak points are that he can ball watch at times and so lose the man he's marking and he's a bit cumebersome so keeping up with pacy strikers and passing the ball are challenges on occasions.

I thought he looked good today with Clark as there was balance today for a start with Clark left footed which we don't get with him and Davies.

Not sure him and Dunne would work that well as while we shouldn't have any problems in the air, I would worry about them when he come up against the best teams who have plenty of skillful and quick forwards (Rooney, Arshavin, Keane, Defoe etc.)

Â