• Lib Dem
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • BNP
    • Veritas
    • Jury team
    • Other Independent
    • I intend to set fire to the ballot box

Isn't the motion for a GE due in front of Parliament next week .. it will be interesting , still think Labour will block it but if enough abstain it may spark the leadership challenge ?

Isn't the motion for a GE due in front of Parliament next week .. it will be interesting , still think Labour will block it but if enough abstain it may spark the leadership challenge ?

The press and bank benchers will do the job on Brown over the weekend I reckon. Goner by Monday night, latest.

and yet the Sky news headline reads "Labour Infighting Sends Pound Plunging "

and Analysts blamed the political turmoil for the loss of confidence in sterling.

However, news that Alistair Darling would remain in his job as chancellor was largely welcomed in financial circles.

"It is not really the time to be changing the chancellor," said Howard Archer, an economist at IHS Global Insight.

"Obviously, Darling has had his problems, but he has had to face very difficult circumstances. There has been a lot of criticism, but he has not done that bad a job," he added.

And the EEF, the manufacturers' organisation, also welcomed the announcement that Lord Mandelson would remain as business secretary, as well as Mr Darling's continued role at the Treasury.

"The economic storm has not yet passed and manufacturers need to see the government focusing all its attention on supporting businesses through these turbulent times and into the upturn," said the EEF's director of policy, Steve Radley.

Repeat

Funny how the people "in the know" see the prospect of a Tory Gvmt as being very weak for the economy - how ironic

just curious but could you do me a small favour and just highlight the part in the article that you quoted where they actually said that ...(I've reproduced the whole article below for you just to be helpful )

The pound has fallen against the dollar and euro, hit by uncertainty over the UK's political situation after several ministers resigned from the cabinet.

The pound slid 1% against the dollar to $1.6022, a one-week low, but recovered slightly. Sterling hit a two-week low against the euro of 1.1277 euros.

On Wednesday, the pound had hit a seven-month high of almost $1.67.

"The UK political situation is rapidly moving from bad to worse which is acting as a major drag on the pound despite more encouraging housing news," said French financial services firm Calyon in a note to clients.

Sterling had been riding high in recent weeks on hopes that the worst was over for the UK economy.

Investors think there is a risk that the UK could see a leadership vacuum at a fragile time for the economy.

However, news that Alistair Darling would remain in his job as chancellor was largely welcomed in financial circles.

"It is not really the time to be changing the chancellor," said Howard Archer, an economist at IHS Global Insight.

"Obviously, Darling has had his problems, but he has had to face very difficult circumstances. There has been a lot of criticism, but he has not done that bad a job," he added.

And the EEF, the manufacturers' organisation, also welcomed the announcement that Lord Mandelson would remain as business secretary, as well as Mr Darling's continued role at the Treasury.

"The economic storm has not yet passed and manufacturers need to see the government focusing all its attention on supporting businesses through these turbulent times and into the upturn," said the EEF's director of policy, Steve Radley.

Some analysts said the impact on sterling from the UK's political woes was likely to be short-lived.

"The limited scope for plausible economic policy shifts in the UK will remain unchanged irrespective of whose hands are grasping the levers of power," said Neil Mellor, a currency strategist at Bank of New York Mellon.

"The burgeoning fiscal deficit in the UK is a problem that crosses party lines and one that would invite political disaster should it be tackled prematurely," he added.

The pound is dropping now against euro and dollar too..

Which shows that business has more faith in a Labout gvmt - how ironic. But then again as most are so insular why are they worried about Johnny Foreigner currency

"The UK political situation is rapidly moving from bad to worse which is acting as a major drag on the pound despite more encouraging housing news," said French financial services firm Calyon in a note to clients.

Sterling had been riding high in recent weeks on hopes that the worst was over for the UK economy.

'Difficult circumstances'

Investors think there is a risk that the UK could see a leadership vacuum at a fragile time for the economy.

The limited scope for plausible economic policy shifts in the UK will remain unchanged irrespective of whose hands are grasping the levers of power

Neil Mellor, Bank of New York Mellon

Send us your comments

Funny how the people "in the know" see the prospect of a Tory Gvmt as being very weak for the economy - how ironic

BBc

Are you actually that delusional that you think a government in crisis and the pound falling shows that the markets are worried about the prospect of a Tory government??

They are worried about the prospect of no government at all.

It’s unbelievable that you could spin it as a positive Labour story. Are you on the payroll??

The only winners in this whole thing appear to be the Tories and the BNP.

UKIP seem to have under-achieved.

Lib Dem's have suffered to, i think this also reflects poorly on Nick Clegg, the fact that Lib Dem's keep missing is that to get anywhere in modern politics you need to have charisma.

Flint now talking like a woman scorned - said Brown treated her as "female window dressing".

Oh dear, the knives are out and flashing

Yeah, yet the other day he had her full support.

She clearly didn't get the promotion she wanted so is throwing her toys out the pram.

She clearly didn't get the promotion she wanted so is throwing her toys out the pram.

One suspects that her loyalty might have been bought with a nod and a wink regarding a full cabinet post. That could well be the reason for the spite in her resignation letter.

EDIT: I do see that Hatty has been sent out to face the artillery regarding Flint.

Hearing the report from Nick Robinson that the general feeling of the Labour Party seems to be sack him now and die quickly, or leave him be and die slowly over the next year, was an interesting moment. I'm not sure whether it's worrying, sad, pitiful, or simply completely apathetic. Either way, I don't think the red corner will be crowing much over the next few years.

One suspects that her loyalty might have been bought with a nod and a wink regarding a full cabinet post. That could well be the reason for the spite in her resignation letter.

EDIT: I do see that Hatty has been sent out to face the artillery regarding Flint.

That's what happened, we can be sure of that. It is known she was angling for a promotion in the reshuffle but I'm not convinced she was necessarily given the nod and wink. She certainly wasn't told it was out of the question though so I suspect that's why in last night's interview she was beaming when she was bigging up The ManseMan. She was trying to butter up Daddy so he would buy her a pony.

Unfortunately, no pony for Caroline so she threw a hissy. As one of the commentators pointed out, she has ended up looking very stupid and spiteful. If she had resigned this morning, pre-reshuffle, citing the same reasons she would have done much more damage.

As it stands, it says a lot about her integrity, character, cynicism, hypocrisy and duplicity that she was looking to praise caesar on Thursday and try to bury him with her letter on Friday. I hope her constituents remember her bald dishonesty when the election finally comes. Dishonest, sleazy politicians? She is the poster child after her antics.

I think Gordon may well be getting a visit of the men in grey suits early next week.

The government are pretty much handing power to tories peice by peice.

every cloud.....................

Brown looked more defeated than Stuart Broad after that awful overthrow.

Fact of the matter is that faith in the major parties has wained a lot. A lot of Labour suporters either haven't voted or turned to other parties (mainly Tory). It's quite clear many of the Labour MP's are 'abandoning ship'

Â