The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not that I believe in New Year Resolutions much but I think next year I have to make a concerted effort to do more gigs and buy less vinyl.

I'm up to 15 booked next year, plus Download and a day of Bloodstock, shaping up to be a better year than this one :) 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not that I believe in New Year Resolutions much but I think next year I have to make a concerted effort to do more gigs and buy less vinyl.

I've already got 8 gigs booked for next year 

Was hoping for a return to Mad Cool fest as the word on the street last month was Pearl Jam were going to play it ( Now confirmed)  .. but the rest of the line up is pants , so will give it a miss .. don't think any of the festivals this year have a got a decent lineup tbh 

22 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Take something pretty special for me to shell out more than £50 on a ticket, but I rarely bother with arena shows never mind stadiums, be surprised if my average for the year worked out much more than £25

Yeah I think if it is more than £50, its got to be something special. Was curious at this and worked it out (as procrastinating from work mainly). Gigs that I went to this year: -  

1. Dream Theater
  2. Lamb of God/Kreator/Municipal Waste
  3. Napalm Death
  4. Devin Townsend
  5. Mol
  6. Carcass/Unto Others/Conjurer
  7. Iron Maiden
  8. Spiritbox
  9. Conjurer
  10. Employed to Serve/Pupil Slicer/Going Off
  11. Empire State Bastard
  12. Lorna Shore
  13. Jazz Sabbath

All in all this averaged out at about £35 a ticket. Dream Theater/Maiden/LOG all over the average with Maiden/Dream Theater at about £80 each and LOG at about £40 (although that ticket was bought pre-covid and had been delayed until this year). Most of the gigs have been in the £20-£30 bracket with the Conjurer headline show being £7.50 (special offer; normally would have been £15 instead).  

Next year currently booked up 4: - 

1. Enslaved / Svalbard / Wayfarer
  2. Skindred
  3. Judas Priest
  4. Foo Fighters

Surprisingly the Judas Priest and Foo Fighters tickets were the same price (well, 5p difference) but again just crept over £80. That has bumped up the average ticket price but got eyes on a few others for next year (just not certain yet/got tickets yet). I am not convinced Priest is worth £80 but it has been a long while since seen them and was contemplating getting Ozzy tickets just to see them support so glad for their own headline show; would be surprised if it sold out though. Foo Fighters are at Villa Park so that was a given in the circumstances and also got it slightly discounted as had tickets for the cancelled 2022 show (no idea how much of a discount though. 

Definitely feels like getting back to some normality that is for. 

• Like 1

I’ll go to a few gigs I’m sure. But I suspect both live gigs and records will be scaled back a bit next year as we save up to ‘do’ Edinburgh Fringe again in 2025 and really hit it hard. We’re talking central hotel and 4 or 5 shows a day for a week or more. Most of what we were interested in was cheap, the fun was definitely in the £10 end of the market, but a few £10 shows a day for a couple of us soon racks up over a week. That needs early planning and a savings scheme so I suspect end of most months my music fund will be siphoned off to the holiday fund.

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We’re talking central hotel

you've probably already got it covered  but  We did a Scotchland road trip the other year and finished in Edinburgh , it just so happened to also be the last night of the Fringe 

We booked into the Apex at Grassmarket  , literally walked out the hotel door for a great view of the fireworks above the castle    and about 5 pubs , including the wee one that holds about 4 people 

Grassmarket  seemed a great location all round though 

• Like 1

I've got 

Shed Seven 

Blancmange 

Echo the drug addict and the Bunnymen 

Foo Fighters

Idles

Bruce Springsteen 

I've got 2 more , but  my mate booked them and i can't remember who it was ..  Murder Capital might be one of them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

you've probably already got it covered  but  We did a Scotchland road trip the other year and finished in Edinburgh , it just so happened to also be the last night of the Fringe 

We booked into the Apex at Grassmarket  , literally walked out the hotel door for a great view of the fireworks above the castle    and about 5 pubs , including the wee one that holds about 4 people 

Grassmarket  seemed a great location all round though 

Off off topic here aren’t we, but we stayed in an Ibis Styles. But we stayed in a top floor suite, that had 2 bathrooms, a tv lounge, and a private outdoor seating area with tables and chairs enough for 6 or 8 people. Not something I’d associate with the Ibis brand. We had people over a couple of times so it was really handy for meeting up and having a couple of drinks before going out. Or for just disappearing back to the hotel for an hour in the middle of the day.

I suggested it was ideal for sex parties. But apparently no, no it wasn’t.

A few of the gig venues were literally meters away, so if a gig started at 7:00pm, we could leave the hotel at 6:50.

It was not cheap!

There a Chameleons gig tomorrow in Liverpool, a re-arranged gig from last year, playing Script of the Bridge. It sold out but there are fan resales available.

£30.... hmmm bit pricey maybe (My boss is going and wants me to go)

then I notice who the support is.

Lesley Woods (I see your blank faces), she was one of Brum's finest agit-prop Post Punk bands The Au Pairs oh and she’s also one of this countries foremost woke  activist immigration lawyers.

It has to be said, their debut album Playing With A Different Sex is an all time favourite of mine

F*** it, I got my Xmas Bonus yesterday

4 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Next year currently booked up 4: - 

1. Enslaved / Svalbard / Wayfarer

I'll be going to see that lot in Manchester, I only know Svalbard, and last time I saw them they were playing in a room to about 80, so excited to see them get to start playing some bigger rooms.

I've also got

• Bury Tomorrow
  • Currents
  • As Everything Unfolds
  • Dream State
  • Landmvrks
  • Maybeshewill
  • Polaris
  • August Burns Red
  • Malevolence
  • Novelists
  • Blind Channel
  • The Lovely Eggs
  • In Flames
  • Armored Saint
  • Boundaries / Spite
  • Beartooth

True to my previous post, quite  a few of them were less than £20 and I think Rock City is the biggest venue in there, not a single arena yet, though I'm tempted by Within Temptation

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'll be going to see that lot in Manchester, I only know Svalbard, and last time I saw them they were playing in a room to about 80, so excited to see them get to start playing some bigger rooms.

I've also got

• Bury Tomorrow
  • Currents
  • As Everything Unfolds
  • Dream State
  • Landmvrks
  • Maybeshewill
  • Polaris
  • August Burns Red
  • Malevolence
  • Novelists
  • Blind Channel
  • The Lovely Eggs
  • In Flames
  • Armored Saint
  • Boundaries / Spite
  • Beartooth

True to my previous post, quite  a few of them were less than £20 and I think Rock City is the biggest venue in there, not a single arena yet, though I'm tempted by Within Temptation

Yeah I'm going to the Manchester gig too. It was either their or London and think Manchester a touch easier to get to. Enslaved are great, one of the classic black metal bands but an absolute ton more about them than the rest of them. The "Pink Floyd" of black metal if that is considered a compliment. 

Thats a lot of gigs as well! Suspect the In Flames is the Rock City one? 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Did any of you lot go to the Ocean Colour Scene gig in Sheffield last night? Friends of mine blagged the support slot at the last minute. 

checks OCS record sales and commercial success ... realises its more than 300 copies  sold , so can confidently answer No and they are shit :D 

that's pretty cool though  , is your mate hoping to get signed etc or is it just something he does for enjoyment , but happened to blag a support slot ? 

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

that's pretty cool though  , is your mate hoping to get signed etc or is it just something he does for enjoyment , but happened to blag a support slot ? 

Oh, I think the latter. They're basically a female duo (who both have other careers, and families), plus two blokes playing guitar and violin. I've known them for years. 

FB_IMG_1702565776515.jpg

• Like 1

Â