The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

For info., Martin Joseph from earlier today for those of a folky protest bent

8:00pm tonight, it’s a re run of that Keys gig I went to at Cultvr a couple of weeks back. Or a lifetime ago in a different time and space.

Edited by chrisp65

Tonight’s twitter listening party, Lovely Eggs followed by Flaming Lips.

They’re a mixed bag. Some good chatter yesterday during SFA and a spin off recommendation of a welsh music podcast.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Taylor Swift at Hyde Park cancelled, I have only 2 festivals left later in the year and I hope due to them being late August and mid Sept they will be OK. 

A lot of cancelled gigs are already being rescheduled for this September time so fingers crossed, you should be ok! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Nick Cave in brum officially rescheduled to a Tuesday night, next April.

Man, that’s along time to wait :( 

I had a gig in Bristol for bank holiday Friday in May cancelled and rescheduled for a Friday next May. I am likely to forget. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I had a gig in Bristol for bank holiday Friday in May cancelled and rescheduled for a Friday next May. I am likely to forget. 

I’m adding to my phone calendar so I won’t forget - I’m sure at least one will slip through the net! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, bickster said:

I'm not one for keeping ticket stubs but this fell out of a Nick Cave CD just now. Really good gig, with @blandy

3DA7DCC0-5470-418F-BED0-0C64BD19DA65.jpeg

Um.... I think this may have been because I bought 2 copies of the Nick Cave CD, due to having been thirsty earlier..I think I gave you my spare copy and with it returned your whole and unused Sigur Ros ticket, which I hadn’t been able to sell or give away outside the venue. I think you were ill and couldn’t go. The gig was crap and I think the CD was “No More Shall We Part”.

it might be my memory that’s wrong, but I think the other SR gigs we went to were all excellent, but that Blackpool one sticks out as a let down.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Um.... I think this may have been because I bought 2 copies of the Nick Cave CD, due to having been thirsty earlier..I think I gave you my spare copy and with it returned your whole and unused Sigur Ros ticket, which I hadn’t been able to sell or give away outside the venue. I think you were ill and couldn’t go. The gig was crap and I think the CD was “No More Shall We Part”.

it might be my memory that’s wrong, but I think the other SR gigs we went to were all excellent, but that Blackpool one sticks out as a let down.

I think you might be right (definitely right on the CD) and I might be getting confused, that all makes perfect sense but I've got this really vivid idea in my head of SIgur Ros, somewhere with you that wasn't a field or the Philharmonic i.e stand up and indoors, mind playing tricks maybe its just conflating things like the EMpress Ballroom gigs we've been to and Sigur Ros.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I think you might be right (definitely right on the CD) and I might be getting confused, that all makes perfect sense but I've got this really vivid idea in my head of SIgur Ros, somewhere with you that wasn't a field or the Philharmonic i.e stand up and indoors, mind playing tricks maybe its just conflating things like the EMpress Ballroom gigs we've been to and Sigur Ros.

Memories of gigs do tend to blur ...I might be wrong.

I have tended to keep significant gig tickets, football tickets and footy programmes. But I had a pogrom of that sort of stuff just before lockdown. Donated a pile of programmes to people that do collect that sort of stuff seriously, plus a load of footy tickets went to fill holes in some other people’s collections. 

There’s not really the market for used gig tickets and given the storage space was now much reduced, I’ve kept them with half an idea of making a collage poster for a man cave at some point in the future, along with half a dozen signed CD covers I’d totally forgotten I had.

Now that’s where my memory has faded. Signed gig tickets, I remember every one. Signed CD artwork? I presume many of them must just have been pre signed early bird / independent shop purchases.

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

. Signed CD artwork? I presume many of them must just have been pre signed early bird / independent shop purchases.

I have one signed CD somewhere 

I was working on a call out near Oxford street ,  finished up and on a whim thought I’d head to the HMV store there as it was a flagship one and had a huge selection ... walked in to find Big Country were just about to start playing a gig in  store , no such thing as an Internet back then to tell you such events were happening so pure Devine intervention .... watched the gig then got my CD signed , alas no obligatory selfie with the band as camera phones weren’t a thing either !!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Seen them, they were shit

Saw them twice. Just to make sure. I concur. By twice, the first time was face down on a dusty path at Glastonbury Festival, regretting my decisions vis a vis the jazz cigarettes. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I have one signed CD somewhere 

I was working on a call out near Oxford street ,  finished up and on a whim thought I’d head to the HMV store there as it was a flagship one and had a huge selection ... walked in to find Big Country were just about to start playing a gig in  store , no such thing as an Internet back then to tell you such events were happening so pure Devine intervention .... watched the gig then got my CD signed , alas no obligatory selfie with the band as camera phones weren’t a thing either !!

When I was a kid I went alone to a Dr Feelgood gig (still ranks as one of the best ever) and before the gig I bought a record. The bloke selling merch weirdly asked me if I wanted it signed. Which I declined, the **** weirdo.

Anyway, an hour later, it turns out merch bloke was also doubling up as lead singer, Lee Brilleaux.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Saw them twice. Just to make sure. I concur. By twice, the first time was face down on a dusty path at Glastonbury Festival, regretting my decisions vis a vis the jazz cigarettes. 

Bug Jam, over at Santa Pod.

Had a cigarette, went for a drive in a very ropey diy conversion Beetle. Car hit a dip in a field, flexed, and I fell out. It gently came to rest in the back of a camper van.

Both the owner of the car I was driving, and the owner of the camper van said it was no big deal! It was a very relaxed atmosphere.

Later that same evening I found the biggest **** rolly you could ever imagine. I mean seriously fat and about a foot long. Stashed that away super sharp. Woke up the next morning. It was a **** candle.

• Haha 3

Â