The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

I go to more gigs these days than I have since I was in my 20s - at least one a week - but I hardly ever post in this thread. Mainly because they're either obscure old fart acts most of you probably won't have heard of, or they're local bands (some of them mates of mine) that you definitely won't have heard of. Plus the occasional tribute band (going to a Dylan one tomorrow). 

Edited by mjmooney

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Pretenders and Suede  tonight at Shepherds Bush.

not a particular pretenders fan but was surprised at how punk sounding some of their material was , some decent riffs going on with the guitars , they played the hits as well which were popular but nowhere near as good as the more obscure stuff ... decent enough set but made to look like a kids school concert in comparison to Suede when they came on ... someone switched the volume dial up to 11 and let Anderson loose , such a powerful voice , such a stage prescience and a huge willingness  to interact with the audience ... still one of the best live bands out there and the small intimate venue just enhanced that 

Support bands rarely get full power or use of a full lighting rig, can't have the support blowing the main act off the stage

I went to see Moon duo the other week, the support acts had to play in the mosh pit. Ok it wasn't that type of gig and Moon Duo's light show kind of forced the issue (and the support acts were very crap, regardless)

I think I have more Pretenders records (1) than Suede records (0) so I wouldn't consider myself a fan of either but I reckon I'd prefer The Pretenders support slot than an hour and a half of whiney Brett

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I know this will be laughed at by most the music snobs on here, but Shed Seven at the O2 on Friday night was rather good. Great 90's nostagia for a 44yr old like myself.

name and shame the music snobs!

15 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I know this will be laughed at by most the music snobs on here, but Shed Seven at the O2 on Friday night was rather good. Great 90's nostagia for a 44yr old like myself.

I’m seeing them in Brixton on the 13th Dec , Looking forward to it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m seeing them in Brixton on the 13th Dec , Looking forward to it 

I’m in Brixton the following week, for my annual Alabama 3 gig. £32, which I think is more than the combined total of every other gig I’ve been to this year, so I’m expecting their usual tight well organised excellence, pyro, some sort of laser light show, dancing girls and a free bar. First full gig since Jake went upstairs so its going to be a rowdy wake.
A pint in The Windmill for old times sake, selfies on Coldharbour Lane and then down to the Academy, then back for the ‘after party’. It’s my Christmas prezzie to myself and probably my annual vow that it was my last big night out as my knees, back and head can’t take it anymore.
They’ve got the Rutz and The Woodentops as support so its going to be sweaty.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m in Brixton the following week, for my annual Alabama 3 gig. £32, which I think is more than the combined total of every other gig I’ve been to this year, so I’m expecting their usual tight well organised excellence, pyro, some sort of laser light show, dancing girls and a free bar. First full gig since Jake went upstairs so its going to be a rowdy wake.
A pint in The Windmill for old times sake, selfies on Coldharbour Lane and then down to the Academy, then back for the ‘after party’. It’s my Christmas prezzie to myself and probably my annual vow that it was my last big night out as my knees, back and head can’t take it anymore.
They’ve got the Rutz and The Woodentops as support so its going to be sweaty.

Brixton is quite useful for me in that we can just about get back to Woking in time for the live band in O'Neils and a late beer with easy access home rather than trying to persuade a cabbie to go through passport control into Surrey if we stay late up London way

there was a pop up craft beer place down one of the side streets in Brixton last time i was there ,  not usually my thing , but we'd started in Wetherspoons and to say I had more teeth than the rest of the pub combined would be putting it kindly , it was like deliverance if it was filmed in England  ..so the expensive pop up bar was a welcome relief

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

They have been announced as a headliner for some festival I am going to next year. My wife has an album and some singles but they weren’t for me. 

Neighbourhood Weekender ?

Ian brown and The Coral .. rest of that line up I've never heard of

actually, I lie , a mate of mine met the Wombats in London one time, so I've heard of them, just not their music

Edited by tonyh29

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The Woodentops

Great band, I loved them way back then. I saw Rolo doing an Accoustic Woodentops a couple of years back, he was beset by sound problems, it was bloody awful. I'm hoping it was an aberation, let me know if they were any good.

• Like 1

There's some decent bands at the bottom of the bill, some that really should be higher up. Rolling Blackouts and The Orielles and possibly the Mysterines too. Maybe even Big Moon.

They should all be higher up the bill over some of the acts I've genuinely not heard of.

Shocked you've never heard of Paul Heaton & Jaqui Abbott though, I thought the Beautiful South would be right up your street :trollface:

I will say though, that whoever booked that festival has their fingure on the pulse. Murder Capital might be rather big by next May on the coattails of Fontaines DC. Working Mens Club might also need a bump up the bill. Red Rum Club are shite but people seem to like them.

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Shocked you've never heard of Paul Heaton & Jaqui Abbott though, I thought the Beautiful South would be right up your street :trollface:

ahh I only looked at the Sat line up  .. I have heard of the BS ( saw them support Stone roses with Risso) not a patch on he Housemartins  ...  and i have of course heard of the Lightning seeds

Ian brown and The Coral .. rest of that line up I've never heard of

actually, I lie , a mate of mine met the Wombats in London one time, so I've heard of them, just not their music

I think it’s called Camper Calling. Near Birmingham 

Â