The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Going to see Detroit Cobras on Sunday in Manchester. My wife loves them so am happy to be her driver. Italian band called The Peawees supporting seem to hit my power pop sweet spot. 

I used to love a bit of power pop back in the day. 

The various iterations of Eddie Ball bands like The Times, Big Sound Authority were surprisingly good live. Makin' Time were surprising poor live. 

I've seen Shonen Knife a couple of times too, and I think you could probably call that racket power pop. I was particularly impressed with the fact that Knife have perpetually toured the world for 20 years and resolutely refused to pick up any english language.  Either that, or my accent was just a leap too far.

Anyway, in other news, my place to see Jones and Robb has been confirmed so I'm a happy boy.

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I used to love a bit of power pop back in the day. 

The various iterations of Eddie Ball bands like The Times, Big Sound Authority were surprisingly good live. Makin' Time were surprising poor live. 

I've seen Shonen Knife a couple of times too, and I think you could probably call that racket power pop. I was particularly impressed with the fact that Knife have perpetually toured the world for 20 years and resolutely refused to pick up any english language.  Either that, or my accent was just a leap too far.

Anyway, in other news, my place to see Jones and Robb has been confirmed so I'm a happy boy.

Ed Ball connected to Big Sound Authority. You live and learn. 

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Ed Ball connected to Big Sound Authority. You live and learn. 

No no, only connected by the broadest definition of a genre, it wasn’t a list of his bands. Perhaps a full stop instead of a comma would have made it clearer.

• Like 1

MoonDuo tonight was great. The band were excellent but the light show was off the scale. I'm not normally one for taking many snaps or videos of gigs but I really did have to tonight. I don't think the videos will load but here's a couple of snaps

1DA3916D-3CF6-4861-8AA0-0821FCB594E3.jpeg

1B9B38F4-D4D4-4DF0-BC4B-6427CC34C7E3.jpeg

• Like 2

Was at the Flapper last night for a sold out show for Conjurer. You forget how small a venue it is, but was bloody brilliant, finishing off with a cover of Mastodon's "Blood and Thunder". That is released as a split EP with a cover of Slipknot's "Vermillion"  as well (definite recommendation for the metal heads). Really good to see a new band make an impact and are clearly ready for the next stage! 

Oh, and @GarethRDR, they had this t-shirt on sale at the gig: - 

Image of Curse These Metal Hands - GY!BE T-Shirt

Which may or may not have been bought... :ph34r:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hmmm, wonder where they got that from...

Liftyrskinnyfists.jpg

Now there's a band I'd like to see again - Godspeed You Black Emperor, a total sonic attack last time I saw them

They probably won't deny it either! Think they are a band that does not hid its influences and gets on with it, which is fine by me! 

Wouldn't mind seeing Godspeed You Black Emperor to see what they are like live. 

2 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Godspeed You Black Emperor to see what they are like live. 

I saw them on the Asunder Tour, it was a great gig, loud but everything was also crystal clear.

I'd buy a ticket to see them again any time

• Like 1

Met Robb a few times. The only time I remember with any clarity is when he was consumed by cocaine fueled self importance and hormones.

He was slimeing over girls at the gig with teeth gritting intensity. Unsurprisingly they found him repulsive.

He went home alone that night.

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

Met Robb a few times. The only time I remember with any clarity is when he was consumed by cocaine fueled self importance and hormones.

He was slimeing over girls at the gig with teeth gritting intensity. Unsurprisingly they found him repulsive.

He went home alone that night.

I met him once, I was drunk I told him how much I loved his band but didnt like him. He went on to sell me a tshirt at least 3 sizes too big and massively over priced. A lesson was learned that day.

• Haha 1

It was very much Jones’s night, not Robb’s. Robb was background support. Other than.... there were two women there who had come to see John Robb and wouldn’t stop trying to talk to him. He was very polite, very engaging and told them it was not his gig and he’d happily chat with them for an hour after.

Interesting, it was only Robb that tried to flog the album, Jones was chuffed anyone had turned up and had forgot to bring any CD’s with him. Robb had some vinyl and one box of CD’s he’d brought - in case Jones didn’t! He described himself as a market trader.

At the end, I bought a CD for a mate, but then gave it to some woman from away so she had a momento so I now have an i.o.u. for a copy some time in the future. But that was very much the vibe of the whole thing. Robb was being pestered at the end so I just had a brief chat with Jones who was very bashful and lovely.

On 31/10/2019 at 09:35, cyrusr said:

Was at the Flapper last night for a sold out show for Conjurer. You forget how small a venue it is, but was bloody brilliant, finishing off with a cover of Mastodon's "Blood and Thunder". That is released as a split EP with a cover of Slipknot's "Vermillion"  as well (definite recommendation for the metal heads). Really good to see a new band make an impact and are clearly ready for the next stage! 

Oh, and @GarethRDR, they had this t-shirt on sale at the gig: - 

Image of Curse These Metal Hands - GY!BE T-Shirt

Which may or may not have been bought... :ph34r:

Excellent show. I've never seen them not be good but they just keep getting better. 

The Slipknot cover is fantastic too, and that split is with my favourite band. Good time to be a Conjurer fan. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

Excellent show. I've never seen them not be good but they just keep getting better. 

The Slipknot cover is fantastic too, and that split is with my favourite band. Good time to be a Conjurer fan. 

Absolutely, shame the January dates they mentioned are supporting Insomnium rather than headlining/Curse These Metal Hand show! 

57 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

Palm Reader?  Utterly pointless factoid for you, but I currently have Andy's old Strymon Big Sky sat on my pedalboard.

30 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Absolutely, shame the January dates they mentioned are supporting Insomnium rather than headlining/Curse These Metal Hand show! 

I was hoping for them that it would be bottom of the bill for Slipknot. Never mind.

• Like 1

Â