The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I dont think, outside of U2 there was a band that I despised more in the 90's than kula shaker, that said it wasn't my gig.

I thought Kula Shaka were OK. Ish. Not enough to buy the album(s)* or go to a gig, but better than a lot of the bands of that era.

* I was ASTOUNDED when I recently discovered they'd made more than one album. 

On 08/12/2016 at 13:59, Designer1 said:

If you see some greying, middle aged bloke in a Purson T-Shirt give us a wave :D

Did try and spot you but couldn't see you! Enjoy it though? 

On 08/12/2016 at 14:14, Xann said:

Was backstage for this. I'm sure I've typed in the details of this encounter before.

Axl is a TOOL of the first order. The biggest prick I've ever had the misfortune of crossing paths with. Slipknot got right under his skin that day. He chickened right out of appearing.

A combination of cajoling and threats got him to show his face on stage before the crowd kicked off. He was seriously going to blow you out, Dude.

Was at this as well. Was really poor - remember sticking around for sweet child of mine and then going back to the tent! Noticed they have now announced a 2nd date. I think if they were in Brum might go, but not worth it for me. 

22 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Ritchie Blackmore at the end of June in brum. Weren't too expensive either.

You going to Deep Purple as well in November next year? 

Next on gig calendar is Boris in London tomorrow followed by Clutch on Friday! :D 

I met Drew McConnell from Babyshambles. He was playing for Pete Doherty at his gig in Manchester and my friend is friends with Drew.

Was a weird experience as I've never been into Babyshambles and we were drinking in a bar right next to the venue and people were coming up to him for pictures :D

15439794_594267610783938_794970683828636

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

It was decent enough. Vodun stole the show tbh, we were on the front row for them and they were superb. A massive bundle of energy and great songs. Singer sounds like Skin from Skunk Anansie and I thought her voice was a perfect foil for the music.

As for UA, they were OK. Very tight musically, but I found them a little static and lifeless from a stage presence point of view. Adore their music though so I still enjoyed them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Was at this as well. Was really poor - remember sticking around for sweet child of mine and then going back to the tent! Noticed they have now announced a 2nd date. I think if they were in Brum might go, but not worth it for me. 

Next on gig calendar is Boris in London tomorrow followed by Clutch on Friday! :D 

Was looking at DP tickets yesterday. Will go if I can find decent tickets but it's not really the DP I loved growing up, no Lord or Blackmore :( still worth seeing though.

On 12/12/2016 at 16:40, Designer1 said:

It was decent enough. Vodun stole the show tbh, we were on the front row for them and they were superb. A massive bundle of energy and great songs. Singer sounds like Skin from Skunk Anansie and I thought her voice was a perfect foil for the music.

As for UA, they were OK. Very tight musically, but I found them a little static and lifeless from a stage presence point of view. Adore their music though so I still enjoyed them.

Agree with this. Really interesting. Think the songs are a little raw and could be more refined though. Still good support act.  

I enjoyed UA, certainly though a different experience to Vodun! Can appreciate weren't exactly moving on stage (the bassist looked very stoned IMO) but thought they sounded good though!

21 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Was looking at DP tickets yesterday. Will go if I can find decent tickets but it's not really the DP I loved growing up, no Lord or Blackmore :( still worth seeing though.

Fair enough; was thinking the same about Blackmore and Rainbow. Whilst I know the music is all Blackmore, I always associate Rainbow with Dio more. I have already bought a lot of gig tickets this month though, so will have another look later - if still something decent available will probably end up going. 

Currently sat sat in Camden waiting for Boris... damn getting here too early!

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

Agree with this. Really interesting. Think the songs are a little raw and could be more refined though. Still good support act.  

I enjoyed UA, certainly though a different experience to Vodun! Can appreciate weren't exactly moving on stage (the bassist looked very stoned IMO) but thought they sounded good though!

Fair enough; was thinking the same about Blackmore and Rainbow. Whilst I know the music is all Blackmore, I always associate Rainbow with Dio more. I have already bought a lot of gig tickets this month though, so will have another look later - if still something decent available will probably end up going. 

Currently sat sat in Camden waiting for Boris... damn getting here too early!

I'm the same with rainbow, infact it's not really rainbow is it but I'm a huge Blackmore fan and I missed out on tickets this year so I had to get tickets this time. It's a shame  he can't sort it out with purple or even get something going with Coverdale and Hughes to play a night of rainbow and purple songs. I'm very close to purchasing some purple tickets but I've spent a lot already over the last few months on tickets so I'm in two minds. 

The Senseless Things have announced a one off gig for March next year in London. I intend to be there. They were one of a handful of bands 21 year old me loved, and one of 2 bands from then that 46 year old me still plays (Family Cat being the other)

On 7 December 2016 at 00:40, tonyh29 said:

In another trip down memory lane saw Kula Shaker in Guildford tonight..

they played "K" in its entirety and sounded amazing  , didn't realise how good a guitarist Mills was .. very emergetic and some good interaction with the crowd ...

I need to dig out my copy of the CD from the loft , shame on me for banishing it there 

Saw them in Birmingham on Monday night with the same set, brilliant gig!

I never saw them back in the 90s but they are a great live band. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the set. I was pleasantly surprised that they played 'the great hosannah'! I love that song!

Edited by Billson
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 13:15, Billson said:

Saw them in Birmingham on Monday night with the same set, brilliant gig!

I never saw them back in the 90s but they are a great live band. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the set. I was pleasantly surprised that they played 'the great hosannah'! I love that song!

Never one of my favourite bands either but never had a dislike for them. Either way, my 2p's worth on Kula Shaker is that I met Paul Winterhart the drummer briefly a few years ago with Kenwyn House from Reef while they were playing with the band Goldray. Thoroughly pleasant people and totally unpretentious the pair of them.

On a gig note I went to see Ben Harper at Brixton Academy a couple of months ago. As someone who I used to like an album by about 15 years ago it was one of those things where you're not really chomping at the bit to get there but when you leave you remember what top quality musicians can do. Best gig for ages. Also the first time I'd been to Brixton Academy and I loved the place.

On 12/12/2016 at 15:12, cyrusr said:

I was at the Clutch gig too on Friday, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Valient Thor were a scream too.

• 3 weeks later...

in another attempt to make feel old .. 30 year Joshua tree tour tickets going on sale on Monday

I went to the original tour at Wembley as a 16 year old :o

cue the U2 hate :) 

58 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

in another attempt to make feel old .. 30 year Joshua tree tour tickets going on sale on Monday

I went to the original tour at Wembley as a 16 year old :o

cue the U2 hate :) 

Is it really 30 years since U2 made a decent record! How time flies.

Â