The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Just seen Pearl Jam again. They really are something else. They do 2 UK gigs in Leeds and Milton Keynes July 8th and 11th. Treat yourselves, really...do it!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the Weller gig at Warwick was similar to the Supergrass gig I saw a few years back. Did about 2, maybe 3 well known songs and the rest obscure bsides and album tracks. Couldn't knock their musicianship but felt flat .

I remember seeing supergrass at the glee club a while back, it was a "secret gig" but my mate worked there so got me in for free.

They were brilliant first half was acoustic and the only lighting that they had came from lamps, if the bass player was needed on a song he'd walk over and switch the lamp on then switch it off after the song.

Second half of the set was pretty shit when they went electric, it kind of lacked the intimacy of the first half

Sounds like the Weller gig at Warwick was similar to the Supergrass gig I saw a few years back. Did about 2, maybe 3 well known songs and the rest obscure bsides and album tracks. Couldn't knock their musicianship but felt flat .

Exactly that - you couldn't fault the quality - but heard loads of grumbles on the way out....

Sounds like maybe people accidentally went to a Paul Weller concert when they wanted to be at a From The Jam gig?

I've seen Weller a few times, enough not to presume it'll be a rip roaring night of 70's and 80's memorabilia. I've drifted away from Weller MOR rock to a point its slightly put a dampner on listening to the Jam too often.

I used to be in love with it all, back when it was important.

• Like 3

Sounds like maybe people accidentally went to a Paul Weller concert when they wanted to be at a From The Jam gig?

I've seen Weller a few times, enough not to presume it'll be a rip roaring night of 70's and 80's memorabilia. I've drifted away from Weller MOR rock to a point its slightly put a dampner on listening to the Jam too often.

I used to be in love with it all, back when it was important.

Sums it up for me too. Weller played a charity gig in Liverpool t'other week at a small intimate venue. Apparently it was a great gig and that too is part of his problem, his music isn't right for the size of venue he has to play

Saw US neorockabilly/r n b band The Delta Bombers in a tiny cellar club in Lille. Sweaty, packed and very very good. Next up its The Del Ray Rockets and seeing the delta bombers again in a few venues around the uk.

"Some fairly obscure Reggae".

sounds awesome!

incidentally, for those of you that know shit......

the gig I was at Wednesday night (that caused me to, er, work from home yesterday) had that awkward setting up time between support and main bands absolutely nailed with some generic very heavy very slow lugubrious dub

I think it's poor gig etiquette to ask the guy what he's playing - but now I don't know what it was - should I have asked?

if anybody has any suggestions for 10 minute dub loops........

'Return To The Source' are throwing a 21st anniversary bash at the Electric (Fridge) in Brixton tonight.

Alex Patterson, Man With No Name and, intriguingly Tsuyoshi are playing.

2yvs6km.jpg

Tsuyoshi's 'Matsuri' comps were the tapes to get hold of if you were into Trance during the early 90s.

I'd sort of like to go, but the crowd I'd go with are scattered all over and mostly responsible parents now :)

• Like 1

'Return To The Source' are throwing a 21st anniversary bash at the Electric (Fridge) in Brixton tonight.

Alex Patterson, Man With No Name and, intriguingly Tsuyoshi are playing.

2yvs6km.jpg

Tsuyoshi's 'Matsuri' comps were the tapes to get hold of if you were into Trance during the early 90s.

I'd sort of like to go, but the crowd I'd go with are scattered all over and mostly responsible parents now :)

I'm going to the Electric in December - looks like I'm going on my own though as nobody is interested in a weekend gigging experience 2 weekends before Christmas (similarly because they've all become responsible).

I'll try and turn it into a weekend up town for the family to see the crimbo lights and all that - then I can slip away later in the evening.

Chrome Tape? Nightmare, used to cost a fortune and if you taped over it there was a ghost of the previous music. Thems was the days.

A band I haven't seen in ages are finally organising three gigs. Mountain of Love are playing two London gigs and Penzance. Clearly Penzance is out. The other two are both London, but they don't know when they'll be on: 'some time between 9:00pm and 4:00am'  well, I can't do that right now, which is a bummer.

I'm not actually at it, but the window's open and it's only 4 or 500 yards away, so I can hear Lytham Proms going on. Currently it sounds like Cerys Matthews is on (or someone covering her songs). Tom Jones later. There's tidy isn't it.

(might close the window in a bit)

• 2 weeks later...

2m3mw3k.jpg

ATP's Jabberwocky Festival, supposedly happening this weekend, was cancelled a couple of days ago through lack of ticket sales.

However many of the acts were already around, and have found themselves looking for alternative venues this weekend.

This Facebook page shows who's secured what gigs, and where.

There's a few freebies in there too.

Confirmed gigs.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 3

Green Man Festival this weekend - so excited. Haven't been to a festival -generally happily so for a long time, but got the itch last year and now can't wait. - some of them in that Jabberwocky poster,  actually quite a lot in fact! Shame that got cancelled, there would have been plenty of excellent acts there.

neutral milk hotel, caribou, mutual benefit, sun kil moon, cloud nothings, big ups, ought, i break horses, speedy ortiz, joanna gruesome are the ones I've heard of and would thoroughly recommend if they do find venues to play

Two impossible decisions to make in the next two weeks:

•Tera Melos or Cleft

•Enemies or Tellison

Haven't seen any of them live before so I can't use that to decide, part of me is thinking go with non-domestic bands as opportunities to see them in the future might be rarer, part of me is thinking go with the smaller band in case they're not around for as long (but then who's to say the band that's been around longer is any more or less likely to break up?), in the case of dilemma #2 we're going to be seeing to a lot of mathy bands similar to Enemies whereas Tellison's more straight-up indie-rock leanings might be a welcome change of pace come the time (but then I wouldn't be going to the festival in the first place if the prospect of 12 hours of relentless noodling didn't have me salivating), in the case of dilemma #1 if you put a gun to my head I would probably say I prefer Cleft on record, but again I've no frame of reference for how good they are live and a part of me feels like I'd regret not going to see Tera Melos perform.

ARGH.

Â