The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just watched Only Lovers Left Alive. Decent watch. Very stylish, witty, and some great dialogue. Was a bit put off by the vampire shtick, but glad I watched it.  

• Like 2

Chappie is truly terrible. It has no idea what it wants to be. It's essentially a weird mix between Robocop and I, Robot, without Verhoeven's satirical edge or Asimov's philosophical complexity. It is shot in that tedious faux-documentary style which makes everything look like a making-of dvd extra. The framing of shots is really weird generally, although that could have something to do with how the cinema projected it or whatever. It has Hugh Jackman with the oddest haircut, acting like he's in a cameo in The Office playing some deranged office worker. It has the worst soundtrack ever. It has Sigourney Weaver delivering lines with less conviction than an uninterested child in a nativity play. It has the most irritating supporting cast playing either gangsters or this one dude who is basically a rejected bad guy from a Far Cry game. The plot is laughable, the dialogue is worse. The violence is completely jarring and unnecessary. It's just shit. A real, stinking turd. 0/10.

said about 5 pages back, blomkamp is ridiculously overrated, even district 9 is only ok IMO its nothing mind blowing

i was in milton keynes yesterday and could have seen it but decided to see unfinished business instead, didnt realise chappie was on the 4D screen until after, that probably would have changed my mind, they also had a mega screen or some bollocks, not IMAX but better than normal (and no doubt twice the price) anyway it was a really nice cinema, not sure how new it is but it was years ahead of brum cineworld, which itself is years ahead of wolverhampton cineworld

Client Number 9 on Netflix, excellent doc. It's a little provincial in it's political focus, so people unfamiliar with New York politics might not be interested, but the guy (former governor Eliot Spitzer) could have been the first Jewish US president...but he destroyed his career through sheer hubris. Well told entertaining tale. 

Saw Kill the Messenger last night

interesting subject matter even if it wont appeal to anyone put a  few people outside of the US

it lags a bit at times and they seemed to be skirting around certain key events and players  , presumbaly at the lawyers request ...  possibly it's a film they should have waited until after Oliver North and co are dead to make ....

Rewatched Gran Torino last night.

Great film!

im still not sure why it did so poorly at the awards, was a tough year tbf slumdog, the reader, frost / nixon, milk, benjamin button for the oscars, golden globes and baftas, but its better than the reader and a lot better than BB IMO

I liked Gran Torino, but the guy playing the lad he forms a bond with is a **** terrible actor.

I read that Gran Torino was actually the first role for a lot of the Hmong actors.

Â