The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just out from The Babadook. Interested to see what the others thought of it.

The acting was absolutely top drawer, mesmerising at times. I mean seriously good, from both leads. It's genuinely harrowing in moments as a result of that and a great premise, a bit silly at others but then it's a proper "monster in the closet" story so it can be forgiven for those little quirks in my opinion. The ending will no doubt divide, for example.

I really enjoyed it. I think there was *more* there, so it's not quite a classic, but it's a must watch for any true horror fan.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Just out from The Babadook. Interested to see what the others thought of it.

The acting was absolutely top drawer, mesmerising at times. I mean seriously good, from both leads. It's genuinely harrowing in moments as a result of that and a great premise, a bit silly at others but then it's a proper "monster in the closet" story so it can be forgiven for those little quirks in my opinion. The ending will no doubt divide, for example.

I really enjoyed it. I think there was *more* there, so it's not quite a classic, but it's a must watch for any true horror fan.

Pretty much bang on for me Dave.

I went with my eldest daughter to see it and as we're both huge horror fans we're still dissecting it now (and probably will be for a while). 

The acting as you say was superb (particularly the young lad) and the whole film had a wonderfully uneasy, bleak quality which really got under the skin.

As for the story, It didn't spell anything out and there's a lot that is left to interpretation which was fine by me.

As with the best horror films it's a very good movie in it's own rights, rather than relying on any of the usual horror tropes.

Looking forward to watching it again and I just hope it isn't spoilt by sequels.

• Like 2

Also just back from the Babadook.

It's not a classic but a decent change of pace for a modern horror film.

Agree that its greatest success is in creating a horribly bleak and uneasy atmosphere that permeates every inch of every frame. It's not frightening but it's very creepy at times.

I think it's theme it's pretty obvious throughout and it smacks your about the face with it at the end, which is perhaps why many will walk out a little disappointed with it in the end.

But an enjoyable evening with a horror movie, I've not said that in years.

• Like 2

Also...Spoilers incoming...

My interpretation was that the Babadook was created by her loss and his fear. No-one saw the book apart from them, and at the birthday party they mentioned that she'd been a writer so she wrote the book for herself and then she re-created it herself after she'd dumped it.

• Like 1

Toy Soldiers (1991) Watched this last night for the first time in years and i still think its a really good film.Certainly worth a look 7/10

For a moment I thought you meant Small Soldiers but I then I remembered seeing that in the cinema around 1998.

What a great/terrible film that was.

tumblr_m52pkxVzAi1qlvsj5o6_250.gif

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Strozsek - Herzog and Bruno S again. Terrifically absurdist, tragic, funny, bleak all in one. I'm going to steal a blurb on the rotten tomatoes front page for this:

"No description is necessary beyond the final line in the film: 'We've got a truck on fire. We have a man on the lift, we're unable to find the switch to turn the lift off. We can't stop the dancing chicken. Send an electrician."

It does require more than that a bit, a trio of an ex-mental hospital  patient, a prostitute and a senile neighbour ( and Herzog regular ) are suffering / struggling in Berlin, so they plan and go to Wisconsin. Life occurs. It's compulsive viewing. 

• Like 2

Â