The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

anybody see the Turtles yet? I know its probably going to be awful but I still want to see it :D

I decided from the trailers that is going to be awful  ... the original one was quite charming  , this remake just has Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

written all over it

So a bloke who played a part in the film Goodfellas is suing the Simpsons for £250 million based on a character he played in the film  possibly being ripped off by the Simpsons

forgetting the stupidity of such a case  , does an actor own the rights to a part they play ?

anybody see the Turtles yet? I know its probably going to be awful but I still want to see it :D

I decided from the trailers that is going to be awful ... the original one was quite charming , this remake just has Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

written all over it

I don't know how you can say that, it's Michael Bay for gods sake what more do you want?

It will have a mass of explosions, a mess of CGI and little or no story line.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Seriously though just leave the turtles alone, transformers has already been destroyed by the man and now he wants to do the same with the heroes in a half shell

• Like 1

So a bloke who played a part in the film Goodfellas is suing the Simpsons for £250 million based on a character he played in the film possibly being ripped off by the Simpsons

forgetting the stupidity of such a case , does an actor own the rights to a part they play ?

Good question, I hazard a guess at no. Surely the writer would have more rights?

Could be a case of image. The actor owns his own face. So if they're "copying" it in that respect then maybe.

Not that it's worth 250million obviously. I assume it's an attempt at publicity from the actor.

if was just the likeness then I think he would have a good case

Sivero and his lawyers, on the other hand, had a lot to say in their 12-page complaint. For one, they want $50 million in damages for loss of his likeness, another $50 million in actual loss for “improper appropriation of Plaintiff’s confidential idea”, $50 million more in exemplary damages and $100 million for “improper interference.”Claiming a loss of “prospective  economic advantage” and industry “type-casting,” Sivero says a “portion” of the profits from The Simpsons franchise should now end up in his pocket – especially because he was promised a film of his own, he alleges.

dont think his character was strong enough for his own film :D

Fruitvale Station.

Damn, what a film. Right in the feels.

Michael B. Jordan is brilliant in it. 9/10.

Is that the one where

the black dude gets shot for no reason?

If so I remember that, it was pretty decent but was there not some massive inaccuracies to the proper case?

Edited by leemond2008

I thought the fact that it was all based on a pretty famous case that was all over the news just a few years ago might have already been a pretty massive spoiler?

I think you're assuming everyone has really good memories and watches the news every day.

Just saying like.

Just getting back to your point about the accuracy. I seem to recall one of the reasons it was praised on release was that the research had been pretty exhaustive and the events were pretty much bang on.

Agree with Ghost re.Michael B. Jordan too - he was superb.

just had a quick look on the internet

he film dances around the facts. Its 22-year-old subject (played by Michael B. Jordan), who was a small-time criminal who cheated on his girlfriend and had been fired from a job at a grocery store. All of these flaws are depicted in the film, but nevertheless “Fruitvale Statio tries to fit a halo on its subject, seemingly to play up the audience’s sympathies.

Coogler has already admitted he made up a scene that shows Grant lovingly coming to the aid of a dog hit by a car, and staying tenderly by the pit bull’s side as it expires. Coogler went on to make the point that pit bulls are supposed to be symbolic of unjustly feared young black men.

More damning, though, is not what the film falsifies but what it leaves out: Though Grant is shown becoming alarmingly aggressive in the grocery store, there is no mention of the fact that he was once convicted for illegal possession of a handgun. And by leaving out the details of the actual shooting, the film hopes to create a strong impression that Grant was a victim of racist cops, closing with a plea for “justice for Oscar,” which seems to be thinly-veiled code for a second, federal Civil Rights trial for the cop who has already been convicted in the slaying.

I think that was the impression that I got from the film, that he was a good bloke who was trying to turn his life around when in reality even though he did nothing to deserve being shot on that night he was actually a bit of a bastard

Edited by leemond2008
  • Like 1

Joyeux Noel - (2005), film about the christmas truce in WW1. It's not bad, and usually I'll enjoy anything with Daniel Bruhl in, but I couldn't help feel there were too many contrived emotional narratives to the point it felt very manipulative and at times a bit simplistic and cartoonish with certain characters, shame really as it has plenty of component parts for a very good film. Some of the acting was a little hammy too. 

Earnest is the word I'd probably use to describe it. 

Edited by Rodders

So a bloke who played a part in the film Goodfellas is suing the Simpsons for £250 million based on a character he played in the film  possibly being ripped off by the Simpsons

forgetting the stupidity of such a case  , does an actor own the rights to a part they play ?

im guessing that if fox offered him and his lawyer a couple of million each and told them to **** off then there'd be handshakes all round

Â