The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

OK, I know I'm well behind the curve on this one

Not that far behind the curve - I watched this for the first time last night:

41JW5XAT1XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(Highly recommended too - hence it's place in this thread) :)

OK, I know I'm well behind the curve on this one, but I finally got around to seeing "In Bruges". **** awesome film.

did you watch it on VHS or Betamax :-)

No.

Anyone care to recommend some must have Blu-Rays? Browsing Play.com for some entertainment for the Easter diss writing period, thought I might as well get some good ones.

'Blade Runner: The Final Cut'. :D

Seriously though, it looks amazing on Blu-Ray.

Perhaps getting an animated film is also worth it. Something like 'Up'. The colours look fantastic and the detail is very nice.

The new 'Star Trek' is very nice on Blu-Ray, as is 'Watchmen' (worth it for the opening apartment scene alone). 'Sunshine' is another good one. I'm a big fan of 'Public Enemies' aswell and the picture quality is so crisp on Blu-Ray. 'District 9' and 'Batman: The Dark Knight' (IMAX scenes in this look great) are two others I can think of right now.

If you want to go for tv shows, then perhaps try 'Mad Men' or 'Band Of Brothers' (the sound in this is exceptional). 'Fringe' is another good one and if you like sci-fi then you should try to see it.

I personally like to go for the more striking visual films on Blu-Ray and get less striking ones on DVD (unless I really like them).

Anyway, hope this helps. :D

Cheers Briggaman, I think I might pick up Blade Runner. Not so sure on the animated film front, might have a mooch. I've never been that massive a fan of Pixar (or any of the CGI animation films really. Toy Story aside).

Already have Star Trek, and Public Enemies, and the Dark Knight on DVD, don't really want to double dip. Same for Band of Brothers.

I am however getting Watchmen for sure, the Directors Cut. I've seen a dodgy (but very good quality ;)) version of it already but really want to own it.

Kick-Ass

+1.

Saw it at the Electric Cinema on Saturday and it was a whole heap of funny.

Now very interested to see how Scott Pilgrim vs. the World looks when it comes out later in the year.

I watched Elegy today, mostly because Penelope Cruz gets her tits oot in it, but I found myself enjoying it for reasons other than that too. Ben Kingsley is entertaining as ever, and really its a film about him growing old but not growing up. Great performance from Dennis Hopper too.

Â