The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Did a double header today. Saw 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' and 'Shutter Island'. Both are worth a watch in my opinion. Had hoped 'Shutter Island' would have been better than it turned out to be, but is still good nevertheless.

Have you read Shutter Island the book, if so then how does it compare? I loved the book, and i normally dont read many books.

Did a double header today. Saw 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' and 'Shutter Island'. Both are worth a watch in my opinion. Had hoped 'Shutter Island' would have been better than it turned out to be, but is still good nevertheless.

Have you read Shutter Island the book, if so then how does it compare? I loved the book, and i normally dont read many books.

I agree packoman - the book is awesome, one of the best i've read in ages... looking forward to seeing the film too.

Actually currently reading Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and enjoying it so will catch that one on DVD - was it any good Briggaman?

I agree packoman - the book is awesome, one of the best i've read in ages... looking forward to seeing the film too.

Actually currently reading Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and enjoying it so will catch that one on DVD - was it any good Briggaman?

Haven't read either of the books so went in fresh as far as that is concerned. Whilst Shutter Island wasn't amazing (at least in my opinion), it was still very good. DiCaprio wasn't convincing enough though in my opinion, for what he had supposedly been through. Other than that he was his usual self. The look of the film is great and some of the music is very good. Takes you back to older films with the haunting horns etc. To be fair, despite it not being amazing it is one of the better films I have seen lately.

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was very good. I was gripped right to the end. It is very brutal in some scenes so I wouldn't recommend it to those that are easily offended. It was slightly the better of the two films though in my opinion. Haunting, disturbing and gripping (saying that both could fall into this category).

The one other positive I can say about both films is that they both had a running time of around two hours and 30 minutes, yet they didn't drag at any point. Great pieces of filmmaking are also on display in each one.

I thought Shutter Island was fantastic. Superbly acted, great story and although you can guess certain aspects, there is enough mystery over some of the events to keep you hooked for the reveal at the end.

Having said that, the opinions in the group i was with ranged from this through to complete bobbins.

Watched this the other night. I have to say that as a massive fan of PSH I have never seen him acted off the screen so effortlessly before. He was great in it, but this is Meryl Streeps movie, she was magnificent.

Would very much like to see the play - particularly the Polanski version.

doubt_movie_poster.jpg

Citizen X, made for television but well watchable.

Tells the story of a Russian detective charged with tracking down a cruel and prolific serial killer. Hindered by his superiors and a total lack of resources, it's pretty bleak at times. It's a true story, and the strong cast (especially for a TVM production) deliver. Stephen Rea suffers proper in the lead role.

Tells the story of a Russian detective charged with tracking down a cruel and prolific serial killer. Hindered by his superiors and a total lack of resources, it's pretty bleak at times. It's a true story, and the strong cast (especially for a TVM production) deliver. Stephen Rea suffers proper in the lead role.

I've had that on my PC for a couple of months, must get round to watching it

I've had that on my PC for a couple of months, must get round to watching it

Excellent movie.

Just seen that The House of the Devil was released over here in the cinemar, how come it took so long?

Anyway it's a very good throwback to 80s horror, and easily one the most suspensful horror films to have come out in ages. Plus, Jocelin Donahue is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Watched it last night. Thoroughly enjoyable stuff. Captured the whole 80's witchcraft movie beautifully through the visual style, soundtrack and titles, the story built nicely and didn't go too OTT towards the climax. Recommended.

poster_house-of-the-devil.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know I'm well behind the curve on this one, but I finally got around to seeing "In Bruges". **** awesome film.

It's like "Father Ted" directed by Tarantino (and that's a compliment!)

I know Bill Wilder is mostly well known for Some Like it Hot, but having watched this again last night for the first time in about 15 years I have to say I think it's his masterpiece. An absolutely brilliant slice of noir with top drawer performances (Edward G Robinson being my favourite) and a superbly twisting plot. Well recommended.

143692double-indemnity-posters.jpg

anyone seen i love you phillip morris? the gf is out so might go straight from work to see it its getting good reviews (is it questionable that im going to see a gay rom com on me tod? especially bearing in mind i watched milk on tuesday)

milk - was ok, penn is good without being anything special and then i watched a bit of the documentary in the extras and penn seemingly has him spot on, slightly disappointing that IMO it doesnt go particulary deep and try and state anything spectacular it just kind of tells the tale, the relationship between milk/scott & milk/jack arent thoroughly looked at, nor IMO is dan white, should have gone far deeper into his character

Â