The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

After the glory of Infinity Wars, I’ve been looking round at the different reviews etc, which eventually bring up people’s top lists of the marvel films. I’m surprised by how many have Black Panther as the top. Very media over rated for me and defo not in my top 5 of the MCU

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

After the glory of Infinity Wars, I’ve been looking round at the different reviews etc, which eventually bring up people’s top lists of the marvel films. I’m surprised by how many have Black Panther as the top. Very media over rated for me and defo not in my top 5 of the MCU

Its probably in my top 3 and I definitely wasn't influenced by media hype.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep I agree. Average at best. Ragarok has to be up there . For thats in the top three easily 

• Like 2

Always hard to say, as on reflection I always realise how many very solid-good films are there. 

AIW, Black Panther, Guardians vol.1, Thor Ragnorok and Winter Soldier would probably be my top 5, but then Thor 1, Civil War, First Avenger,  Avengers, Assemble, first Iron Man are all very decent too ) 

I do actually think though that my enjoyment for AIW will be slightly conditional on what happens in part 4. I am optimistic it will be part of an excellent double bill, but with the caveat that certain cop-out options if employed would leave a sour taste

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Racist !!

I didn't get the hype around it either  , I just assumed people that put it in their top 5 along with Wonder Woman were vegans , tutted quietly to myself and  left it at that

I've watched all the marvel stuff for my sins , most of them have their moments ,it's hard to really hate any of them ,  though you leave the cinema feeling a bit meh  

I'm thinking probably Thor Ragnarok , Guardians 1 and Dr Strange would be my top 3 if I had to vote on it

• Like 2

My MCU ranking

Captain America: Civil War

Avengers Assemble

Captain America: Winter Soldier

Thor: Ragnarok

Avengers Infinity War

Guardians of the Galaxy

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Iron Man

Dr Strange

Captain America: the First Avenger

Black Panther

Ant-Man

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

Avengers Age of Ultron

Thor

Thor: the Dark World

Iron Man 3

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Infinity War could move in time. I'm still processing some of it. It's also somewhat hampered by the fact it's reliant on where Avengers 4 goes.

Black Panther is mostly remarkable for being something unique in the industry, and doing something different with its style. It has a very good villain, but otherwise it's no more than good I think.

Civil War, for me, is still a bit of a perfect storm. Decent story, great action, looks great, different kind of villain, really good performances everywhere. Avengers Assemble still trades heavily on how special it was at the time, it's got it's flaws that have become more apparent as the series has progressed, but still nothing really touches on how special it was. Winter Soldier is just a really really good movie, with brilliant action and a fun plot playing with 70s political thriller tropes being smashed into a superhero story. And Ragnarok is just so fun it's hard to dislike.

• Like 2

Winter soldier

Guardians

Thor ragnorok 

It would be interesting to go back and watch the first ones again because at the time they were all half decent but i think now theyve been able to develop each character and the tone to each film im not sure i would enjoy them as much

Black Panther i think is getting extra points because it screams relevance but probably not to the majority of us on here...to an american audience id guess its very on point, its a good film with a good villain and supporting cast, looked awesome and the soundtrack worked without being in your face, im still not sold on him as a character though, IW wasted him 

Black panther was good and enjoyable but not one of the best. My top three would be

Civil war

Thor ragarok

Infinity war

Other special mentions is iron man 1, avengers assemble, Dr strange and guardian's 1

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

My MCU ranking

Captain America: Civil War

Avengers Assemble

Captain America: Winter Soldier

Thor: Ragnarok

Avengers Infinity War

Guardians of the Galaxy

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Iron Man

Dr Strange

Captain America: the First Avenger

Black Panther

Ant-Man

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

Avengers Age of Ultron

Thor

Thor: the Dark World

Iron Man 3

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Infinity War could move in time. I'm still processing some of it. It's also somewhat hampered by the fact it's reliant on where Avengers 4 goes.

Black Panther is mostly remarkable for being something unique in the industry, and doing something different with its style. It has a very good villain, but otherwise it's no more than good I think.

Civil War, for me, is still a bit of a perfect storm. Decent story, great action, looks great, different kind of villain, really good performances everywhere. Avengers Assemble still trades heavily on how special it was at the time, it's got it's flaws that have become more apparent as the series has progressed, but still nothing really touches on how special it was. Winter Soldier is just a really really good movie, with brilliant action and a fun plot playing with 70s political thriller tropes being smashed into a superhero story. And Ragnarok is just so fun it's hard to dislike.

How ironic that 2 of my top 3 comic book films are Deadpool and Logan. Why aren't these included in the grouping?

18 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

How ironic that 2 of my top 3 comic book films are Deadpool and Logan. Why aren't these included in the grouping?

Completely forgot about deadpool. That's definitely up there.

Haven't seen Logan yet

17 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

They aren't in the MCU. They're both Fox films that aren't related to Marvel Studios own stuff (for now - if Disney is given approval to buy Fox, anything is possible).

I really like both Logan and Deadpool and they'd probably be in the top third of a ranking of every superhero film I'd seen.

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

They aren't in the MCU. They're both Fox films that aren't related to Marvel Studios own stuff (for now - if Disney is given approval to buy Fox, anything is possible).

I really like both Logan and Deadpool and they'd probably be in the top third of a ranking of every superhero film I'd seen.

Bu they are Marvel properties though? Just sold off to Fox right? Technically you could include them.

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

Bu they are Marvel properties though? Just sold off to Fox right? Technically you could include them.

They're Marvel properties, that Fox hold the rights to, but they aren't in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the connected series of films that share the same characters and world. Only stuff Marvel Studios makes itself is MCU (plus Spider-Man Homecoming). So as it's an MCU ranking they aren't in it :)

Â