The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched 2001 ASO at the cinema tonight.

Super impressive visuals and effects for the time. Really spectacular. Score I half.loved half hated but generall was gripped by it. Or rather the first 2/3rds before Kubricks overdose of LAD kicked in. What the bloody hell was all that about? If anyone has any good guides for explaining that insanity I'm all ears. I enjoyed it but just left with a sense of ???? 

On 31/05/2018 at 23:49, tonyh29 said:

got around to Deadpool 2 last night 

giggled like a school boy during lots of it , some great lines in it and the usual stupidity that appeals to me ....great fun but it’s a bit like going to see a comedy act where you spend the entire show genuinely laughing out loud and can’t remember a single gag by the time you get to the car park 

i imagine it’s not for everyone , but I like how he sends himself up , the green lantern end credits scene etc ... can’t wait for DP3

Just got back from it. 

It was stupid, it was far fetched, it was childish.

I loved it... the shirt scene (don’t want to give  anything away)  had me howling.

Some brilliant little throw away lines, mentioning the goonies and Thanos about Brolin was genius and pure Reynolds.

He is perfect for that role.

Not sure they’ll do a singular D3 though, an XForce movie though...that would work

15 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Mother....wtf. Utter drivel

I turned it off after less than an hour.  I no doubt missed all the action.  I just didn't want any more time wasted.

On 03/06/2018 at 19:20, wazzap24 said:

American Made was half decent. Nothing amazing about it, but it's watchable.

Yep, enjoyable couple of hours & some of it is true(ish) if massively exaggerated. (have a look on historyvshollywood if you want to know how much is real)

Weird how an ordinary fat american can somehow end up pretty much being the worlds biggest drug smuggler on a completely industrial scale.

• Like 1

Solo last night

biggest problem with it for me seemed to be poor sound and lots of the action was quite dark( as in visually  not VT humour) .. don't usually have this problem at my local so I'm assuming it was the way film was put together

As to the film , It was kinda hard to root for Solo , Ford played him with that cheeky chap glint in the eye , solo jnr just couldn't get you rooting for him   .. as for Landro presumably Disney thought  heck nobody will remember the  original Star Wars trilogy lets just make him a  completely different character / personality  , with ASFR

Also robots don't have to be sassy and witty(see also Last Jedi ) , R2D2 stole kids hearts with a few beeps and the ability to electric shock a rodent  , not by being a fast talking Ed Murphy wannabe sidekick

that said it was Ok , probably a film we really didn't need , but Marvel say hello and £  ka-ching £ , so you can't blame Disney for milking a proven system, arguably one they started !!  ...

all in all , I've seen worse  and it wasn't terrible so don't know why audiences aren't embracing it the way they seem to be embracing other average films , maybe it's a simple case of Solo is Ford and thus audiences can't embrace anyone else playing him ?

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I love the Fincher remake of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's superb, Rooney Mara is incredible in it, it's gorgeous and dripping in atmosphere, and has an outright brilliant soundtrack.

I kinda like Claire Foy.

This... This looks silly. And not great.

Some of the shots in this are gorgeous. In stills the art style is incredible. Not sure I like the sorta low frame rate animation style though.

I'm not sure how well Spiderverse would translate to the screen. The whole point of Spiderverse was really just to have all the various versions I'd Spider-Man intact and play up how daft a lot of them were. This doesn't look like it'll play with that idea much. Or seemingly much of the storyline at all, beyond crashing Morales Spidey and Parker Spidey together and throwing in Spider-Gwen because.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

I love the Fincher remake of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's superb, Rooney Mara is incredible in it, it's gorgeous and dripping in atmosphere, and has an outright brilliant soundtrack.

I kinda like Claire Foy.

They never did English versions of the rest of the Millennium trilogy did they?  Not sure about the looks of that trailer.  Any reason why they've jumped a couple of books?

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

I kinda like Claire Foy.

I agree with you. The English version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was excellent. Comfortably superior to the Swedish version.

I'm genuinely gutted that they didn't do the rest of the trilogy.

This looks pretty average to be honest. It's the weakest book in the series by far imo (although I haven't read the very latest one) so it's no real surprise. Also I've only seen a teaser trailer (can't see the above as I'm at work) but it seemed to be pitched as a prequel? Or have I got that wrong?

On 06/05/2018 at 12:48, Chindie said:

and centre it all on a single character - Thanos. Much was made ahead of release that this is his movie, and it largely is. It's his story. In many ways he is the films warped hero, out on his own quest and waylaid by our own heroes. And it's to the movies credit that this ridiculous character, a huge purple alien with a corrugated chin and big golden magic glove, is a believable figure. He isn't just a cardboard cut out, or moustache twirling villain. He has some depth. It isn't all perfect, there is a particular moment that the series hasn't in any way earnt and subsequently doesn't ring true, but otherwise he cuts an imposing figure, a genuine threat, and becomes easily one of the MCU best villains (perhaps only hamstrung by the fact that the balance of him being evil and being sympathetic, is slightly off - I don't hate Thanos like I'd like to).

Couldn't he have used the magic glove to create more food rather than less mouths ?

On 07/06/2018 at 21:06, sharkyvilla said:

They never did English versions of the rest of the Millennium trilogy did they?  Not sure about the looks of that trailer.  Any reason why they've jumped a couple of books?

dont think they made enough money, the Swedish sequels were quite draggy and OTT and probably better in books than films

This is a fresh book and i believe not sanctioned by the original writers family

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

This is a fresh book and i believe not sanctioned by the original writers family

It is and you can really tell. It's nowhere near as good as the first 3.

Â