The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

@Midfielder Kingsley is amazing as Logan but McShane is equally as chilling as the mob boss. Great film

While not as gritty, I do like Layer Cake, as British films go. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. 

Absolutely 100% brother - Layer Cake. Real stylish too. 

Also, not british, but you mention McShane up there.... he was sort of like that as the boss of that hotel / members club The Continental in JOHN WICK. a must for people too. 

15 hours ago, Midfielder said:

you are hereby tasked this weekend to buy or hire that. 

I'll check it out. And yes I will most definitely 'buy or hire' that film. Absolutely. Yup. 100%.

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'll check it out. And yes I will most definitely 'buy or hire' that film. Absolutely. Yup. 100%.

No spoilers. It's about Winstone, a cockney crook who's retired out in the med, low key, living life. A fixer (Kingsley) is tasked to recruit him to a team masterminded by their boss (McShane) who have spent months planning an imminent heist back in England. 

How can Winstone be persuaded, will he take part? You will see. Get ready for some classic sir Ben when he's on the plane and the scene after. 'I think they wanted me for a twos up or something' etc 

I read somewhere that in the filming of sexy beast, they had to wait for Kingsley to finish up on another film who came straight to the med to begin filming when free. So the cast and production team who had already filmed other scenes there, threw a party for him to welcome him. 

Kingsley turned up in the attire and totally in character as this Don Logan character and remained so throughout the evening. Nobody knew it would play out that way and I read that Winstone apparently climbed out of a toilet window to get away from him and drove off as "Don" had pissed him off that much. That gives you an idea of how abrasive Kingsley is in this film, he is intense. 

I don't know anything about acting but Sexy Beast is a masterclass. Great characters brilliant story. Enjoy BOF. 

• Like 1

Watched Swiss Army Man a few days ago. It's absolutely bonkers but I loved it. Very original and creative. I could understand if people didn't like it or thought it was a bit juvenile, but it's pretty key to the message of the film and makes sense.

Dano was great as usual and I know Daniel Radcliffe gets a lot of shit but I've always liked his acting and he was brilliant in this role.

Think next will be War On Everyone. I have high hopes for this film since it's from John Michael McDonagh and The Guard is one of my favourite films in recent times.

In other news I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang tonight for the first time. Loved it, RDJ was as good as usual even if he does play essentially the same role but **** it, I like it. Kilmer was great too and Michelle Monaghan is gorgeous and funny.

Decided to watch it after being reminded of it when I bought The Nice Guys on blu-Ray earlier which I loved when I saw it at the cinema a few months back. Shane Black clearly used the same formula as he did for KKBB but I still enjoyed both.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ginko said:

Dano was great as usual and I know Daniel Radcliffe gets a lot of shit but I've always liked his acting and he was brilliant in this role.

He's good in this but not in Imperium. I think it depends on the role.

In imperium I felt like I was watching Harry Potter pretending to be FBI pretending to be a skinhead, it just didn't work for me.

On 8.10.2016 at 23:57, Meath_Villan said:

Stargate is on netflix ..... What a great movie (even if it is emmerich) unbelievable they only made the one movie, maybe thats what makes it enjoyable to watch still

It's not like they followed it up with 10 seasons, 2 spin-off shows and half a dozen movies!

On 08/10/2016 at 22:57, Meath_Villan said:

Stargate is on netflix ..... What a great movie (even if it is emmerich) unbelievable they only made the one movie, maybe thats what makes it enjoyable to watch still 

stargate_movie.jpg

Was rumoured to be getting a remake but I won't be as good as SG-1 so they probably shouldn't bother 

On 10/8/2016 at 10:26, mikeyp102 said:

Watched four lions again last night. Great film

Big Hands innit!

Watched Louis' My Scientology film. It's very entertaining. Its less serious in focus, I think in part due to the problems of access I guess, but there is still plenty of his typical examination of people in his idiosyncratic way to keep you fascinated it all, plus some funny weird bits. Such a bizarre cult. 

Â