The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

last-picture-show-pic.jpg

The Last Picture Show (Peter Bogdanovich) - Good movie, some great performaces, quite hard hitting

889id_172_w1600.jpg

The Golden Coach (Jean Renoir) - This was really great, storyline wasn't bad, but I mostly liked it for the colorful spectacle, put me mind of Powell and Pressburger

• Like 1

In the Travelodge, found The Twilight Zone followed by one of my all time faves - Dracula the Hammer version with Lee and Cushing 👺👍🏼

• Like 2

I watched Anatomy of a Fall. A English/French language film court case/murder mystery film.
I thought the actress and the kid actor were brilliant in this. Good too see Thomas Frank the Brentford manager playing the lawyer.
I thought the first half of the film was brilliant but it sailed off in the second half of it. 3/5

Also watched Killers of the Flower Moon...
Such a brilliant story, well acted, but it really didn't need to be 3 hours 20 minutes long. Come on Martin. If this was 1 hour shorter and had a greater score, this could of been a masterpiece. 
3.5/5

It Snows in Benidorm, on Netflix

Watched it because Timothy Spall is in it and got to the point of no return in the film so stuck with it.

2 hours of my life i'll never get back. Crap with a capital S

On 13/01/2024 at 08:18, Seat68 said:

I love a heist film. Probably my favourite genre, halfway through this new Kevin Hart Netflix film, Lift and about to give up. It's a shocker, clichéd, badly written,  badly scripted. It's dreadful. I may struggle to see a worse film this year. 

Kevin Hart just irritates the crap out of me. Can't watch anything he's in/on.

• Like 2

On 14/01/2024 at 14:01, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

As a big fan of Lanthimos's previous work I'd high hopes, but this surpassed every single expectation. Its an astonishing piece of work. Heartfelt, moving, often hilarious, utterly beautiful, emotional, surreal and at times absolutely bonkers. 

Anchored by a career best performance from Emma Stone who is mesmerising throughout.

Definitely won't be everyone, but i think it's close to a perfect movie, and I'll definitely be going to watch it again on the big screen before it's run ends.

This is just another in a string of great things I've heard about this. As a fellow fan of the director I'm very excited

• Like 1

On 15/01/2024 at 01:08, Pongo Waring said:

Such a brilliant story, well acted, but it really didn't need to be 3 hours 20 minutes long. Come on Martin. If this was 1 hour shorter and had a greater score, this could of been a masterpiece. 
3.5/5

I don't think it was a masterpiece, but it wasn't far off imo

• Like 1

For the benefit of nobody, here are the movies I've watched so far this year and my ratings (out of a possible 5 stars)

Saltburn - 4
Train to Busan - 3.5
Do the Right Thing - 4
When Evil Lurks - 4
Toy Story 4 - 3
Society of the Snow - 4
The Holdovers - 4
Killers of the Flower Moon - 4.5
Monsters Inc - 3.5

• Like 2

On 15/01/2024 at 01:08, Pongo Waring said:

3.5/5

I thought it drawn out and frustratingly  slow. What happened was shocking. De Niro was very good, Di Caprio less so.

To sum it up, for me,  it was like watching someone being tortured for 3 hours by a mental patient. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it 😄 

21 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Forgive me father for I have sinned!

This week I watched three Jason Statham films, all with the same basic plot - kid in danger, bent cops, massive retribution.

I loved every minute! 🫣

I love a bit of the Stath now and again. He's good at what he does and as he showed in Spy, he doesn't take himself too seriously.

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I love a bit of the Stath now and again. He's good at what he does and as he showed in Spy, he doesn't take himself too seriously.

There is something rather comforting, knowing that the kid's going to survive and the bad guys are not.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Booked for the Beekeeper tomorrow funnily enough 🤣

• Like 1

Just watched the trailer for Spaceman. The last thing I expected to see today was Adam Sandler in space talking to a spider.

• Haha 1

The American remake of 13 Tzameti, directed by the same guy who directed the original.

With stars like Statham, Ray Winston and Micky Rourke queuing up for this one, they obviously thought it was going to win prizes.

Sadly, the changes made to suit an American audience, just ruined it from the start, and although it isn't as bad as Rotton Tomatoes thought it (3.8%), I didn't feel prompted to switch off.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Â