The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Finished 2023 with Saltburn.

Very good and well acted, particularly by Barry Keoghan (and unsurprisingly Rosamund Pike and Richard E.Grant) with an interesting plot and ‘fascinating’ characters. 

Well worth a watch on Prime.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Very good and well acted, particularly by Barry Keoghan (and unsurprisingly Rosamund Pike and Richard E.Grant) with an interesting plot and ‘fascinating’ characters. 

I went into blindly and wow what a film! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I’d agree with that summation but add some of the sex scenes were on the odd side 😂

• Haha 1

On 31/12/2023 at 10:56, theboyangel said:

Caught up with a couple of films in the last few days -

Sisu - brilliantly bonkers

I'd forgot about that - just wentto add it to my watch list and the greedy **** want paying extra! As if I don't spend enough with them.

Luckily I just found it bobbing about on the waves...

• Like 1

Just listening to a trailer for an up and coming Jason Statham film. All that time he's been in the States and he still can't get that American accent right. Let's be honest, when it comes to acting, he's pretty one dimensional. 

On 17/12/2023 at 17:40, Designer1 said:

Just back from:

spacer.png

As @Follyfoot says, it's a very good movie indeed.

It's kind of difficult not to compare with the glitz and shine of the contemporary Hollywood film series, but apart from having Godzilla in the title, there's very little in the way of similarities. 

The main characters have emotional depth, and I connected immediately with them. The story has many layers with a central theme of guilt which is very well done and the post WW2 setting is portrayed with some pitch perfect cinematography. 

In a nutshell, the Hollywood movies are about Godzilla with a few human characters thrown in whereas this is very much a movie about people which just happens to have Godzilla in it.

It's brilliant.

15 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Anyone watched Godzilla Minus One?

Brilliant 

Yep.

Caught Sofia Coppola's Priscilla yesterday. Apart from an excellent performance from Cailee Spaeny, it was entirely forgettable. I'd presumed I'd learn something but the object seemed to be that she was a bit sad but she survived.  

On 02/01/2024 at 11:26, sheepyvillian said:

Just listening to a trailer for an up and coming Jason Statham film. All that time he's been in the States and he still can't get that American accent right. Let's be honest, when it comes to acting, he's pretty one dimensional. 

Beekeeper, actually looks quite good (if you like that type of thing)

Watched a few films last year, some new, some oldish:

Barbie and Oppenheimer - nothing to add to what is already said.

Saint Omer - saw someone else on here had seen this - my feelings are pretty much the same. No interesting takes on trauma/mental illness at all, just dull. So dull.

Saltburn - great performances, beautifully shot, awesome final scene, but there was no exposition around the main character, so I was just left thinking "Why?" Maybe that was the point?

Widows - great actors, OK performances, not particularly groundbreaking or original in any way.

Barb and Star - expected utter crap, was really quite sweet.

Free Guy - had heard bad things, but good fun. Taika Waititi good. What you talkin' bout Willis?

Florence Foster Jenkins - resisted watching it for months, but got forced into it. Really enjoyable and uplifting.

Control - excellent all round

Far from Heaven - Beautiful to look at, but not much depth

Belleville Rendezvous - Irritating, but good.

Don't Worry Darling - Looks beautiful. Florence Pugh as watchable as always. Harry Stiles surprisingly not shit. Ultimately not very interesting though.

High Society - God Grace Kelly was stunningly beautiful. Perfectly OK film of its era.

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion - Would've been better if the sound wasn't out of sync for the whole film, but really good fun. Awful hair.

• Like 1

Really liked Saltburn.  Can tell Emerald Fennell is my age, the sountrack is pretty much that of my uni days.  Weren't smart enough for Oxford though.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 2

Didn't think much of Saltburn myself. I was okay. I kept reading how shocking it was but it really wasn't imo. I do love Barry Keoghan though 

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

This third movie adaptation of the true story of the 1972 Uruguayan Rugby Team air crash, is easily the best.

Brilliantly made, with exceptional performances from the cast (many with debut performances). 

Really, really good stuff.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

Not a film but as it’s 2 famous acting names  not sure where else to put it , seeing Ulster American on stage tomorrow starring Woody Harrelson and Andy Serkis 

be quite cool to see them both in the flesh 

• Like 1

We watched Devil’s Knot last night.

Good film based on real events. Quite sad that it is made from the angle that 3 teenagers were given life sentences for murders they probably didn’t commit because of extremely dodgy policing.

Â