The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

For a Few Dollars More is my 2nd favourite.

It's the obvious choice but The Good the Bad the Ugly is my favourite Leone film. It has the best

of any movie. Ever.

My favourite gunfight, though, is at the start of For a Few Dollars More. Just love the way Lee Van Cleef distainfully dispatches the slack jawed yokel

Best upcoming actor for me

He made "The beleiver" in 2001 which should have put him on the road to stardom but didn't ..but even so I'm not sure I'd call him up and coming ?

Someone brought this up on me before. But only in the past few years has he consistently had leading roles (Lars and the Real Girl and Half Nelson as mentioned.) and only recently has he got himself noticed. Gosling has always been a fantastic 'indie' actor but now he is proving he has the charisma and presence to be a main stream one. You mention the believer but it's only around his age now where actors like himself and Hardy can make that breakthrough. Fassbender is another actor who has broken through in recent years, it takes a certain amount of experience for these guys to get noticed and get into the big time.

Saying that I hope Gosling stays in the indie films, I prefer him in them, and he has mentioned that he does too. Although it is great to see him doing well in the bigger roles.

Brigga totally agree he is brilliant!

Oh and good shout whoever mentioned Rockwell, another I think will be a star. He's another similar one who was brilliant in confessions of a dangerous mind imo but has struggled to break through till he did Moon.

Having seen the original BBC version myself, I found the film to not quite fill in all the gaps. It was a fine film, no doubt but definitely not worth the hype and I was definitely disappointed.

Thats my opinion too. Thee BBC verion arrived in the post this morning with, Smiley's People in a box set. The family are about to be educated

Having seen the original BBC version myself, I found the film to not quite fill in all the gaps. It was a fine film, no doubt but definitely not worth the hype and I was definitely disappointed.

Thats my opinion too. Thee BBC verion arrived in the post this morning with, Smiley's People in a box set. The family are about to be educated

I see you, like me took advantage of the £7 bargain pack from Amazon (or somewhere similar) then :)

Managed to get through the first four episodes of TTSS already and it's reminded me of how many gaps there were in the film I saw last week.

The big question though is: Beryl Reid or Kathy Burke?

Best upcoming actor for me

He made "The beleiver" in 2001 which should have put him on the road to stardom but didn't ..but even so I'm not sure I'd call him up and coming ?

The Believer, Lars and the Real Girl, Half Nelson. All great films, all fantastic performances by Gosling. Did wonder if he'd ever start to make more mainstream films so I'm looking forward to checking out Drive.

Drive is not a mainstream film, far from it; it will unfortunately make about 50p in this country.

Which is a shame as its awesome, but chavs wont understand characters expressing emotions by looks rather than explaining everything they say and do.

Watched Waltz with Bashir last night - or most of it until the disc stopped working ( lovefilm grr ) - was quite an interesting approach, and very fascinating. I read a few criticisms of it seemed to be that it protrayed israelis too favourably, but I thought it was more about individuals and the memories evoked from war, rather than any comment on who was the goody or the baddy so much ) though I was cut off 30 min from the end :P

I see you, like me took advantage of the £7 bargain pack from Amazon (or somewhere similar) then :)

Managed to get through the first four episodes of TTSS already and it's reminded me of how many gaps there were in the film I saw last week.

The big question though is: Beryl Reid or Kathy Burke?

Yep £7 for the two series was a bargain not to be missed.

And it has to be Beryl Reid, no question about it (in acting terms only before anyone starts)

LTTP but I saw The Inbetweeners movie yesterday. Dunno how I feel about seeing it in the cinema as it is clearly a TV special stretched out to 75 minutes or so. Some great jokes, but I think the longer length of the show only highlights how one dimensional a lot of the characters are, especially all of the girls they meet on holiday. That said, it did make me laugh quite a lot (though I found myself laughing at some of the more subtle jokes while everybody else in the audience cracked up at the THIS IS THE FUNNY BIT LAUGH HERE PLEASE! gags) and I think they just about got away with it due to the good will I had build up during the TV show. Dunno how much you would enjoy it if you hadnt seen the series though as things you might give a free pass to in the film wouldnt get the free pass. If that makes sense.

Yes, I loved it, but would wonder how those who didn't see the film would have found it, without the prior knowledge of the characters.

Saw Godfather II last night. Enjoyed it, not as much as the first one though - the transformation in Michael is just too huge for me, having read the book, and seen the first film it's just unbelievable. I know Puzo was involved in the screenplay for both films as well, but it stretched credibility for me just a smidge. De Niro as young Vito though is just pitch perfectly superb I must say.

I think I am in the camp of people who think Godfather II is better than the first one. I think the experiences Michael would have had in WWII before coming back to the family business more than explain how he could become so cold so quickly. I never read the books though, so I only have the perspective that Coppola wanted me to see.

I prefer Godfather III....but that's just me.

i liek Godfather III but its from the best. judged alone its good but compared to other 2 its a different league. The incest part is still a bit freaky and dont know what they were thinking

Â