The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Anyway, have anyone seen both Wall Street-movies? Are they any good?

first one just makes you realise how crap computers were in the 80's

second one , well .... just a tad boring tbh and a sequel that wasn't required

I watched Grizzly Man last night. Probably my favourite Herzog 'documentary', he has such a wonderful way with whatever suject matter he focus' on.

The way the coroner describes the recording of the bear attack that killed Timothy and his girlfriend, and short part when Werner himself listens to some of it and then tells the woman to never listen to it and to destroy it is one of the most harrowing things I've seen in film. A classic case of not actually seeing the monster and leaving it to your imagination being worse than seeing the monster - or in this case killer bear attack.

are there anymore twisty films that people would recommend?

Y'know, the ones that make you go 'never saw that coming!'

Angel Heart is the first one that comes to mind. Although 'never saw that coming' ? mmm not sure. Although suggesting is as a film to watch where you 'never saw that coming' suggests there is a something that you might not see coming sooo... :|

Yeh anyway it is good.

13 Assassins. 45min Samurai sword-fighting goodness. The funny clownish character was slightly annoying but I was it was ok film since my main goal was trying to get in the pants of a cute Japanese girl.

David Lynch films will leave you going "what the **** just happened?"

'Lost Highway', 'Mulholland Drive' and 'Inland Empire' are his most bizarre (Inland Empire especially).

If you want a conventional plot twist ending then there is always 'The Usual Suspects' or a crappy M.Night Shyamalan movie?

Speaking about twists, I just saw Halloween 2. There's a twist you never expected... ;) (Having said that, reading that on the back of the box didn't really help to keep it secret, but it wasn't that much of a unexpected twist, was it?)

Is "Bronson" worth a watch? I really like Tom Hardy and the trailer looks impressive.

It's quite 'arty', really, which I think put some people off. It's less a film about Charles Bronson as it is a film about the fascination of the character he made himself. Good watch though, has a real look to it and if you like Hardy he turns in a superb unhinged performance.

"Angel Heart" with Mickey Rourke and Robert DeNiro. Underrated gem of a Noir-Horror film.

Speaking of strange "headfuck" movies, I just saw - for the first time, 12 years after its release - Fight Club.

Clearly in the genre inhabited by Inception, The Matrix, Eyes Wide Shut, etc., I enjoyed it more than I expected - mainly because it starts off relatively straightforward, and takes its time getting more "WTF?"

Silly ending, though.

Ive never liked the entire final act of Fight Club. Once the Project Mayhem stuff takes the scene my eyes glaze over. Great film still mind.

Did you spot Meatloaf's trousers fall down Mike? Happens as they run away from the restaurant in tuxedos.

Is "Bronson" worth a watch? I really like Tom Hardy and the trailer looks impressive.

It's quite 'arty', really, which I think put some people off. It's less a film about Charles Bronson as it is a film about the fascination of the character he made himself. Good watch though, has a real look to it and if you like Hardy he turns in a superb unhinged performance.

In a similiar vein, Eric Bana is really good in "Chopper" which has some similarities.

Chopper's probably a better film for a narrative than Bronson, purely because theres a better straight story to tell. I enjoyed Chopper just for the character and his story, Bronson is more of a spectacle out of it's desire to show 'Bronson' as a kind of unchained beast and character rather than just a violent man.

Â