The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Captain America: Civil War

it was ok but still doesn't do anything new in that genre. The effects are amazing, I will give them that but trying to include about 10 different characters just doesn't work for me, it could have been a lot worse but the IMDB rating is frankly ridiculous. 6/10

Paper Towns

The coming of age genre is probably one of my favorite types in film but this was not one of the better entries for me. The acting is pretty good for the most part, Cara isn't particularly great and has the amazing ability of looking really attractive one minute and then like a 12 year old boy the next, it's very...confusing. On the whole it just doesn't go anywhere with the story and some of the things the characters do and say is just not believeable and it's quite jarring at times. 6/10

I'm obviously biased but Civil War does change things up a bit IMO. Like the last Cap movie its basically Avengers 2.5 but it develops a different kind of villain for the genre and pitting the heroes against each other is new (even with the similarities to BvS, we've never seen such established characters set against one another).

The characters thing they can get away with as well IMO. At this point you look at the cast in Civil War and can see you don't need to do much character work.

Cap - 5 appearances (and a cameo)

Iron Man - 6 appearances (and a cameo)

Black Widow - 5 appearances

Bucky - 3 appearances

Falcon - 4 appearances

War Machine - 4 appearances

Hawkeye - 4 appearances

Etc. Even some of the supporting cast are well established. They can therefore spend more time setting up their story and add in some other faces. And a lot of those characters above are very much additional flavour - War Machine can be taken out for instance and nothing fundamentally changes but it's nice he's there and adds to the universe and the continuity, and he doesn't take up time being there. And by adding in new faces they shuffle the deck, Ant-man adds something new, Black Panther becomes a third 'side' wild card who can present a threat to a number of characters, etc etc.

Marvel have been very clever with the MCU, and they've planned all of it. The movies to come in the next couple of years are completely about winding up some character arcs they started 8 years ago and putting in new characters to augment and replace the ones they'll lose. And those characters are ones they have picked to let them alter the terms of the MCU - Dr Strange brings in 'magic', Black Panther shifts away from America and gives a black hero headline status, Captain Marvel gives them a female hero and let's them retire Thor... Civil War is just a micro example of that. And it's a bloody good movie to boot, IMO.

• Like 4

I'm honestly not trying to be facetious here but Hawkeye appears to come in and do nothing more than fire a few arrows around. In the grand scheme of things and taking into account the others special abilities it just seemed a waste of time. I'm sure if you are familiar with the world as a whole including the comics he's an important character but on face value (which is the only way I can take it) it was just one of the many things I found hard to take seriously.

Hawkeye is a different kind of character in the comics. He's less involved in the major incidents and tends to be more of a supporting character to those events who might quietly do something badass. He's also more than just a bow in them. He doesn't really work in the movies because they have to use him more front and centre otherwise he may as well not be there. He's also pretty much a foil for Black Widow. Again take him out and nothing changes but with him there it's all building the universe. Plus he gets to recreate a very famous scene with Ant-man.

It's a running joke at work that I've basically seen no films, to the point that they started a list, and one guy came in with 10 DVDs of popular films I've never seen.

I started tonight, with Trainspotting, and Leon. Fantastic movies, but I really need a hug. I might watch a Disney movie or something. :( 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Inside Out is the best animated movie I've seen. Everything about it is fantastic.

To say it exceeded my expectations would be a huge understatement.  So many clever levels/details/ideas.  Really was impressed with it.  Who's your friend who likes to play?  Bing Bong, Bing Bong :D

I watched the David Brent film last night, I thought it was alright. Main funny moments were the song lyrics which were hilarious at times 6/10. 

I've not seen any of the numbers relating to revenue but there were only about 9 other people in the screening we went to last night.

Edited by Genie

23 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's a running joke at work that I've basically seen no films, to the point that they started a list, and one guy came in with 10 DVDs of popular films I've never seen.

I started tonight, with Trainspotting, and Leon. Fantastic movies, but I really need a hug. I might watch a Disney movie or something. :( 

You have so much to look forward to! Movies is my relaxation, more so than music. I'd be lost without them 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Inside Out is the best animated movie I've seen. Everything about it is fantastic.

I liked it but for me there are better animations about. Big Hero 6 and The Good Dinosaur are definitely worth a watch 

Agree about big hero 6 but the good dinosaur bored me to tears, both are the tried and tested formula but the regurgitation of GD was too in my face

@snowychap is right about zootopia, that kind of slipped under the radar but that's good, at least that's a bit different and the world they created works, the missus also recommends life of pets

kung fu panda 3 was ok, finding dory was good but not as good as nemo (the octopus makes it) need to watch the little prince and keep forgetting to get hold of when marnie was there

not bad seeing as I haven't got kids...

• Like 2

Â