The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Jake should win an Oscar for Nightcrawler. Is Cooper nominated for his performance in American Sniper? If he is then it's a joke that Jake isn't in it, Cooper just plays a typical red-neck. 

Yeah he's nominated for American Sniper. I thought he was excellent but definitely not better than Gyllenhall.

Edited by packoman

I've seen some suggesting that it's more flags of our fathers than letters from Iwo Jima, adds nothing to the genre, lots of war scenes that have been done before, touches on a lot of stuff but never develops it, the biggest criticism seems to be that the war itself is never examined or looked at, Eastwood dodges it entirely

Will still round to seeing it

Agree with kazzam, think it's politics but like I said before I thought it would be Selma that evoked this response rather than American sniper

I thought American Sniper was good, definitely not Oscar worthy though. People are always going to complain about war films, but not every war film has to go in to depth about why they are there and the reasons for war. 

American Sniper is about an individual not the actual war.

What are the criticisms of American Sniper all about? Does it skew facts or something?

The person it's based on (Chris Kyle) is meant to have been a bit different in real life to how the film portays him.  

I really don't think this is a spoiler, but feel I should put it in a spoiler tag anyway....

The film kinda portrays him as a man who resents being a sniper and doesn't like to use his weapon, but the reality is he was rather blood thirsty, hateful and racist.

Edited by PieFacE

#oscarssowhite is the big trend on Twitter today, yet another racial non controversy

The Oscars are a joke anyway, they usually get things wrong, and people regardless of ethnicity are often overlooked.

But the racism mongers are having a feeding frenzy on this, including Al Sharpton

Embarrassing and depressing.

#oscarssowhite is the big trend on Twitter today, yet another racial non controversy

The Oscars are a joke anyway, they usually get things wrong, and people regardless of ethnicity are often overlooked.

But the racism mongers are having a feeding frenzy on this, including Al Sharpton

Embarrassing and depressing.

and utterly predictable! 

• Like 1

Saw something the other day moaning that female directors aren't getting nominated either, it then went on to list a load of films I've never heard of and that Jolie film, which from what I've seen the main criticism of the film is jolie's directing...

Saw something the other day moaning that female directors aren't getting nominated either, it then went on to list a load of films I've never heard of and that Jolie film, which from what I've seen the main criticism of the film is jolie's directing...

Oh no, you'll set MMV off again.

Â