The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

to expand a bit, and I'm really not looking for a fight or anything - it's really nowhere near my field of expertise to get into a tiff over

but here goes:

A little research tells me that I've just watched the second of three films, I saw it in 2D, on a TV, via Netflix. It looks like there is a game - but its a lego game (if that makes any difference).

From the off, there was a strange highlight around characters in the foreground. Nothing terribly dramatic, but odd in a film I understood they spent a spectacular amount of money on. Then, about 15 minutes in there was a sequence where some bees fly into shot from close range, buzz about a bit and then fly off in to the distance. They had no part in the story whatsoever (unless I missed some nuance) and at this point, 15 or so minutes in I began to notice things more and more that didn't obviously help the film along.  The 'levels' statement is exactly what I meant but had clearly poorly articulated. I don't know much about computer games (apologies, it's not snobbery, I just drifted away from computer games when they put colour over asteroids) but that's what it looked like to me.

There was a scene with barrels, jumping in and out of barrels killing baddies. It had one barrel bouncing along a line of baddies and then spinning and then had a (hobbit? dwarf?) character jumping in and out of it. I was half expecting some coins to appear or Mario to overtake them.

Then there was a scene where two characters ended up sliding down some chutes in the mine and were in mine carts suspended on wires. They didn't actually do anything, so I guessed that was another level in a game. Similarly, another character rides down a flow of molten gold in a wheelbarrow.... Levels in a game.

Elsehwere, when the wizard guy was talking there were dandelion seeds (or somesuch similar thing) blowing around for no obvious reason other than to remind us it was 3D (was my guess). 

All in all, quite distracting, I found myself watching the screen for quirky shit, rather than following the story.

Then, about 15 minutes in there was a sequence where some bees fly into shot from close range, buzz about a bit and then fly off in to the distance. They had no part in the story whatsoever (unless I missed some nuance)...

Isn't that pretty much the point in your own words?

American Guerilla In The Philippines     (1950) Was drawn to this movie by the title of it,as i spend all my time these days between Brum and Manilla .The movie turned out to be ok,certainly worth a look if your into war films. 6/10 for me

Then, about 15 minutes in there was a sequence where some bees fly into shot from close range, buzz about a bit and then fly off in to the distance. They had no part in the story whatsoever (unless I missed some nuance)...

Isn't that pretty much the point in your own words?

Well, yes. If the bees that do nothing are in the book that I haven't read, then it's me that has missed the point. I really wasn't trying to be mischievous.

I'm not a big film buff, I'm certainly not art house and all that. The film looked odd - some of the reason why has now been explained. Some of my comment, re the gaming bit has clearly been raised before. I genuinely wasn't copying old established argument to be clever, I just thought the barrels scene bopping off baddies was really poor. I actually thought perhaps I hadn't got an 'in' joke.

But it was a one line question. With a question mark at the end of it. 

I think the Hobbit films WERE designed for 3D, which is precisely why I watched them in that format, and wouldn't bother with the 2D versions. They were novelties, Christmas treats, to be treated differently from regular films.

I fully agree with chrisp. I watched all 3 hobbits in the cinema in 3d and there were lots of things which were there purely for 3d effect, but don't really work very well. I found myself wondering while watching the 3rd why it looked so fake and remembered that some 3d is added post production so assumed it was the case with this. I'm a bit surprised it was shot in 3d, it all just looks fake in a way that lots of other 3d stuff doesn't.

But I think that's a problem related to how peter Jackson shoots his films. The entire lotr and hobbit trilogies have just looked like video games to me. I don't really understand why this would be snobbish, and to be honest I didn't read chindie's post because I don't have enough time, but it's just a personal preference that they look a bit odd.

The battles were like fleur de lys wallpaper. Looks all random at first glance but you can repeating patterns everywhere. It reminded me of all the nvidia and ati tech demos from years ago when they started doing lots of new shaders and they would often do battles to show how shaders could be used for lots of repetition.

I'm not sure. Soldiers wearing uniform armour, standing in uniform formations will make for repetition. I thought the Orcs looked noticable more ragged than the Dwarves and Elves.

As for the series, its very enjoyable. Doesn't hit the heights of the Lord of the Rings, but its very entertaining nonetheless.

i thought the CGI for the battle of the 5 armies wasnt as good as the CGI for helms deep or minas tirith 

i agree with darrenm, it seemed like far less character models, far more repetition, taking what ads said, far more armour which depending on how you look at it either makes it easier to get a bit lazy with it or makes it harder to make anything stand out, personally im going with the lazy option, look at the bit on the trailer where the 5 trolls with catapults (around 1:34) they're the same character models just with a slight delay in their action to make them look individual, thats the CGI for the battle in a nutshell, its really disappointing and personally i think the most disappointing thing is that the battle isnt good enough to justify in length, which means the whole trilogy idea cant be justified, the 2nd film with smaug's screen time they pulled off, the 3rd film with the battle they didnt

• Like 1

In Which We Serve   (1942)  This is the first film i can recall watching as a kid. In my opinion it is one of the all time classic war films and god only knows how many times i have watched it .In my book a 8/10 

• Like 1

In Which We Serve   (1942)  This is the first film i can recall watching as a kid. In my opinion it is one of the all time classic war films and god only knows how many times i have watched it .In my book a 8/10 

A very fine film.

I always group it together with other finely wrought propaganda films of the time, like: Went The Day Well? and The Way Ahead, which I have particular affection for.

• Like 1

Â