The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Yeah it was good. It did remind me of Army of Shadows at times ( which the director has said influenced him a bit ) too which is an excellent film in it's own right. Certainly up there as a good war film on resisters. Another French one on the Aubrac's is also worth a watch. Trying to think of others: Days of Glory ( french-algerians fighting the germans ) is superb and maybe less known for WW2 films. 

People who dislike Peter Jackson's interpretations of Tolkien's work should probably avoid The Hobbit: the Battle of the Five Armies, lest they have a coronary.

Edited by Chindie

I LOVED the LOTR trilogy, it's my favourite of all time, but the Hobbit's doesn't really do anything for me. It's not so much the leaving things out that's annoying, it's adding events/characters that don't exist that is criminal.

Legolas has nothing to do with the Hobbit. Neither does Tauriel (I don't even think she's a real person in the Tolkien world) Fili doesn't fall in love with anyone. Azog is already dead long before the Hobbit started ffs. If they changed Bolg's story a little and had him playing the Azog parts, that may just have been plausible.

Not to mention the CGI fest that is going on. Both movies remind me a little of SW episode III. Good movies, but ruined by silly CGI.

I do enjoy the movies at times, but this should have been a 9/10 movie, not 7/10. Frustrating. I don't even know how the hell he's turned a 300 page book into 3 long movies.

Edited by villarule123

I thought Fellowship was superb, Two Towers was ok, Return pretty good, Hobbit 1 pretty bad, Hobbit 2 better (helped that I watched it with my nephew)

I'll be watching the last one of course, for one last trip into Middle Earth. I read the books so long ago, that I haven't noticed any discrepancies that may have otherwise pissed me off.

Flame and Citron - 2009 Danish film based on the eponymous resisters during World War II - featuring a constantly sweating Mads Mikkelsen ( seriously, it's mad ).  Well done with typical espionage atmosphere of suspicion and confusion permeating it all and intriguing enough to make me look up the history behind the tale. Worth watching if you like your resistance type films.  

Watched this, and really liked it

I think you have to take Jackson's adaptions as exactly that. They are just big dumb action films. As someone who does love the tone of those books, the best bit of the Hobbit was the bit everyone else seemed to hate - the 40 or so minutes in Bilbo's house, with people eating food and singing. That was probably as close as the films got to matching Tolkien's style, and the fact everyone found it excruciatingly dull is a good indication as to why Jackson took the route he did. LOTR allows for a more action packed adaption, and those films at least had a bit more of an epic feel and reverence for the source. The Hobbit films just feel heartless.

Loved this one

Sony_TheEqualizer_UKQuad.jpg

Not sure i share your enthusiasm for this film.

Liked what it was trying to do, bit of a throwback film, didn't hold back on the violence etc.. like so many films do to get that 12 rating these days.

Biggest problem was that it was just flat out boring for some of the film, tried to indicate Denzel had a mysterious past and a thrilling back story but had no interest in actually showing any of that despite the 2hr plus running time. Film was at least 20-30 minutes too long. What was the point of Chloe Moretz being in that film? Shes supposed to be his motivation at the start of the film but then promptly disappears for the rest of it.

Denzel was good of course but the copy and paste eastern eurpeans was badly done and the cliches were out in force.

6/10 for me

I think you have to take Jackson's adaptions as exactly that. They are just big dumb action films. As someone who does love the tone of those books, the best bit of the Hobbit was the bit everyone else seemed to hate - the 40 or so minutes in Bilbo's house, with people eating food and singing. That was probably as close as the films got to matching Tolkien's style, and the fact everyone found it excruciatingly dull is a good indication as to why Jackson took the route he did. LOTR allows for a more action packed adaption, and those films at least had a bit more of an epic feel and reverence for the source. The Hobbit films just feel heartless.

I don't disagree with you, but I think The Hobbit's main problem is it's just too long.

There's absolutely no need for it to be 3 films.

One 3 hour film would probably have done the job. It just feels so drawn out.

I don't disagree with you, but I think The Hobbit's main problem is it's just too long.

There's absolutely no need for it to be 3 films.

One 3 hour film would probably have done the job. It just feels so drawn out.

Oddly, if anything, the new one feels rushed. It's the shortest of the Middle Earth films, at about 2hrs20, and feels like they got through a lot of plot development to quickly. I think the extended version of this film will be considerably longer.

The beginning was also clearly originally intended to be in the last film, but was city and shoved in as a pretitle sequence here to ensure people actually went to see this film.

Just watched Her, really enjoyed it though I think you have to be in the right sort of mood.

I've actually just watched it myself. I normally enjoy Spike Jonze, but thought it was a bit dull. Wasn't terrible, it just left me a bit cold. Worth a watch, but now I kind of want to watch Die Hard, and not have to think about feelings and all that ghey shit. 

Loved this one

Sony_TheEqualizer_UKQuad.jpg

Not sure i share your enthusiasm for this film.

Liked what it was trying to do, bit of a throwback film, didn't hold back on the violence etc.. like so many films do to get that 12 rating these days.

Biggest problem was that it was just flat out boring for some of the film, tried to indicate Denzel had a mysterious past and a thrilling back story but had no interest in actually showing any of that despite the 2hr plus running time. Film was at least 20-30 minutes too long. What was the point of Chloe Moretz being in that film? Shes supposed to be his motivation at the start of the film but then promptly disappears for the rest of it.

Denzel was good of course but the copy and paste eastern eurpeans was badly done and the cliches were out in force.

6/10 for me

Chloe who ? Denzel was the only actor in the movie ive seen before..

Yes there were a few things that was alittle bit to much in the movie, like walking unarmed into a room full of russian mobsters and killing them all, but overall i really liked the movie.

Watched Fury last night, for me its a happy shopper version of saving private Ryan. Without the decent storyline. Just 2 hours of tank battles with blood and gore thrown in and a typically ridiculous American ending.

Edited by Jimzk5

Just watched Her, really enjoyed it though I think you have to be in the right sort of mood.

I've actually just watched it myself. I normally enjoy Spike Jonze, but thought it was a bit dull. Wasn't terrible, it just left me a bit cold. Worth a watch, but now I kind of want to watch Die Hard, and not have to think about feelings and all that ghey shit. 

Watched Her as well last night (we can see who has a Sky Movies / Now TV subscription here!)

Thought it was good.. although a little overlong. Was 20-30 minutes too much for me... it's never a 2 hour film. Phoenix was excellent and Scarlett's voice can give me a boner!

7.5/10 on the pooligan scale

Yes! Somebody who agrees with me.

Especially the 'thinking about your feelings' motif. Emotional moments shouldn't have to be deconstructed to give a kick, I found it all a bit too "my first emotional movie".

Very pretty though.

Â