The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I don't think I was one of those. I think Coruña are more capable than Villareal. They're a bigger club

not that much bigger would say except for winning the league the 2 clubs have had similar top flight declines. Money drying up, signing cut price players and both hiring Lotina

Villareal could get some decent money for the likes of Rossi, Nilmar, Cani, Diego Lopez, Gonzalo, Zapata etc.

Valero and Rossi will be their big money sales

would love new Villa manager to chase Jonathan De Guzman

The Spanish McLeish as he has now relegated Real Soceidad, Deportivo and Villareal from La Liga all in 5 years. Plays boring football aswell.

Also got Celta Vigo relegated

not that much bigger would say except for winning the league the 2 clubs have had similar top flight declines.
I'm sorry but that's simply not true. Villareal have only ever been in the top flight for 13 season in their history. Those 13 season happen to have been in the past 14 years. That's it. Before that, since 1923 they've nearly always been a 3rd tier side.

Coruña have spent 40 seasons in the top flight. They are historically a top flight side. Villareal are not. And all of the peripheral infrastructural benefits that go with being in the top flight are there too. Coruña are 'set up' to be in the top flight. Villareal are not. Everything else says so too. Their stadium is 35k instead of 25k. As for honours, the only thing Villareal have ever won is the Intertoto Cup. Coruña have won the league (and been runner-up 5 times), 2 Copa Del Reys, 3 Spanish super cups and an Intertoto.

Pretty much everything points to Coruña being a significantly bigger club than Villareal and points at Villareal not being a top flight side in the 'grand scheme' of things.

Which is why I say if they don't get up straight away, they might very well fall back to where they basically belong.

Can't believe Villareal got relegated :shock:

If they have a small fanbase then I would class them as a small club.

But still they are quite famous in recent times.

Champions League and relegation in the same season though :|

625 first team appearances for Real Madrid.

128 full international caps for Spain.

5 Spanish titles

1 Spanish cup

2 Champions League titles

1 World Cup

1 European Championship

Happy Birthday to Iker Casillas. 31 (yes, 31!) today.

Torres will be in the squad for the Euros. But Llorente is now the main man.

very doubtful he will. On current form id have Llorente, Soldado, an injured Villa, Munain and Negredo ahead of him even would have Ruben Castro of Betis

625 first team appearances for Real Madrid.

128 full international caps for Spain.

5 Spanish titles

1 Spanish cup

2 Champions League titles

1 World Cup

1 European Championship

Happy Birthday to Iker Casillas. 31 (yes, 31!) today.

Some record for a great player and seems a humble, intelligent guy for the position he attains in Spain compared to other captains like at Chelsea and Liverpool for example.

Spain have been very fortunate they have had a real not media hyped golden generation of talent in last few years Casillas, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa will not just be Spanish greats and not including Villa the 3 others will probably be mentioned as best in their position in 50/60 years time

Torres will be in the squad for the Euros. But Llorente is now the main man.

very doubtful he will. On current form id have Llorente, Soldado, an injured Villa, Munain and Negredo ahead of him even would have Ruben Castro of Betis

He will still get picked though. Villa is still injured. Ruben Castro wont go. It will be Llorente, Negredo, Munain and Torres.

Â