The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Just now, Zatman said:

Messi has been quite poor this season, maybe he will get his thumb out now though Koeman is obviously getting the boot soon

I wonder if he said if they forced him to stay he’d play at 50% effort?

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Bartelemou has quit the Barca Board. Guess Messi wins then. 

Tbf it's not messi that wracked up £800m in debt... Or voted in the basketball chief in the first place 

You can scapegoat him all you like but bartomeu has been properly awful, worse than Woodward 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Tbf it's not messi that wracked up £800m in debt... Or voted in the basketball chief in the first place 

You can scapegoat him all you like but bartomeu has been properly awful, worse than Woodward 

Not sure where you got me scapegoating Messi? Simply said he wins as Barte quit (agree he's been awful). I do however think he was potentially right to try and lessen the power Messi has at the club and to ship out some of the older players (after bringing old players in first). 

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Barca only played 6 games and already dropped 10 points. This is the future, get used to it.😉

Barca could actually have more Champions League points by league points next week :D  

Whoops.

I mean they will be fine but what a mess they've made

Barça could go bankrupt at the beginning of the year

• The club must cut 190 million euros in payroll before November 5

Barça is immersed in a major crisis. Following Bartomeu's resignation , a management board is taking over the club's finances. Its main goal is to complete the work of cutting 190 million euros in wage bill . An urgent job because if it doesn’t, the club will go bankrupt.

This Friday the players ’lawyers sat down for the first time at the joint bargaining table. A single table constituted as such, but with separate, non-binding negotiations and resolutions, which is what both footballers and workers demanded. If there is no agreement with the players before November 5 to defer part of their salaries, the club will go bankrupt earlier this year. Sources close to the negotiation point out, however, that the new institutional scenario, already without Bartomeu, encourages the talks to come to fruition and there is optimism.

Dismissal of Masferrer

All this the day after Barça's management board made its first decision: to dismiss the current director of the presidency, Jaume Masferrer . He was the right hand of Josep Maria Bartomeu, and was the ideologue of the famous Barçagate . That the first decision of the manager was to dispense with Masferrer, with a very high salary, is remarkable. It should be interpreted as a gesture towards workers in the midst of bargaining for the pay cut.

https://www.rac1.cat/esports/20201031/4998976728/barca-fallida-junta-gestora-bartomeu-salaris-jugadors.html

I really don’t understand why they didn’t cash in on Messi for £100m or so in the summer and shift his astronomical wages.

He’s obviously still quality but is he really worth what he’s costing them now? He seems to barley move when I’ve seen him this season most noticeably when he loses the ball and just strolls off, whether that is age or lack of motivation maybe a combination of the two.

Im sure it was all a house of cards anyway but they’ve never recovered from losing Neymar.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, penguin said:

I really don’t understand why they didn’t cash in on Messi for £100m or so in the summer and shift his astronomical wages.

He’s obviously still quality but is he really worth what he’s costing them now? He seems to barley move when I’ve seen him this season most noticeably when he loses the ball and just strolls off, whether that is age or lack of motivation maybe a combination of the two.

Im sure it was all a house of cards anyway but they’ve never recovered from losing Neymar.

Must get a shed load for him in marketing, shirt sales and all that plus esteem of the club would be hit worldwide not having him anymore.

I watched second half of the Alaves game and looks like he's hating every minute of being there now.

Koeman slumped on the bench aswell, I think he knows he's done there but it's not all his fault.

6 hours ago, penguin said:

I think the issue was nobody would pay 100 million for Messi. Messi wanted to go on a free and his salary plus 100 million isnt good business

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I think the issue was nobody would pay 100 million for Messi. Messi wanted to go on a free and his salary plus 100 million isnt good business

100% agree, it would be terrible business! But if the papers were to be believed they had offers in this region if not more.

Real Madrid currently losing 4-1 to Valencia side who are playing number of 20 year olds due to all the sales they've done. Conceded 3 penalties aswell.

Atletico Madrid big favourites to win league imo but also a chance one of Villareal or Real Sociedad could do it although they both have europa which will complicate things.

Easily most interesting La Liga season for about 15 years.

Ansu Fati out for 4-5 months with a knee injury that needs surgery. Not great news for Barca who needed to sell Dembele to raise money to avoid going bust. Not sure they can do that now with Fati out.

Shame for Fati and hopefully he can come back just as strong.

• Sad 1

Real Madrid planning more player pay cuts as pandemic takes toll - sources

Real Madrid's players will be asked to take another pay cut as the club deals with the ongoing losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, sources have told ESPN.

The club are putting the finishing touches to this season's budget, which will be finalised in the next few days, and will then present a proposal to the first team squad.

Sources have told ESPN the exact percentage of salaries that the players will be asked to give up has not yet been fixed.

When that figure is set, talks will be held with the club's captains Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Karim Benzema and Raphael Varane.

In April, a first pay cut of between 10% and 20% was agreed for players, coaching staff and top executives, while the club decided not to spend money on new signings during the summer transfer window.

The squad also agreed to give up bonuses they were owed for winning La Liga this summer.

Those measures helped protect the jobs of club workers and avoid the need for the club to implement temporary job losses, known in Spanish employment law as an ERTE.

It remains to be seen how the players will respond to this latest proposal. Sources have told ESPN that, in principle, they are sympathetic to the club's situation.

The Real Madrid board have had to work hard to adjust their planning and minimise the financial damage in the face of the COVID-19 crisis.

https://global.espn.com/football/real-madrid/story/4232974/real-madrid-planning-more-player-pay-cuts-as-pandemic-takes-toll-sources

Meanwhile similar talks at Barcelona have broken down.

Â