The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 23:01, VillaChris said:

Let's wait to see Barca against a Sevilla or Villareal (away).

Just noticed they're playing Juventus on Wednesday. That will give an indication on their level compared to last season.

They passed the first test. I think people got carried away with the matches against Real  Madrid when Barcelona looked like they were playing  pre seasons game. Suarez not at his best yet or Dembele. Messi is playing as well as ever. and I like the new rb and with Dembele it gives them bags of pace down the right. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you ... the modern footballer.

Real Madrid Star To Miss Tonight’s Tie Due To Injury Sustained Shaving Legs

Real Madrid open their Champions League three-in-a-row bid tonight as they take on Apoel Nicosia in the Bernabeu. Zinedine Zidane’s side last season became the first club to defend the European Cup in the Champions League era, and few would bet against them to a third consecutive crown this season.

While Los Blancos have stuttered in their last two La Liga games, dropping points to Levante and Valencia, they have huge positives to take from the start of the season.

Wins over Manchester United and Barcelona in the European Super Cup, as well as the Supercopa de España, gave their rivals a taste of what may be in store throughout the year.

Perhaps the major talking point of the season to date has been the rise of Marco Asensio. The 21-year-old shot into the big-time with a 25-yard screamer against Barca, and many are predicting that he will have a big future in the Spanish capital.

GettyImages-837195330-768x512.jpg

However, he will not be available for selection tonight. As reported by the Daily Mail (via ABC Espana), Asensio picked up an infection after shaving his leg.

According to coach Zidane, the playmaker has sustained a pimple on his leg which prevents him pulling up his socks.

While Asensio has been ruled out of the squad, the reigning champions have nonetheless named a star-studded squad that should have enough to see off their Cypriot opponents at home.

Anyone see the end of the Madrid-Betis game?

Amazing stuff from Betis? 0-0, 93rd minute and they're popping the ball around in Madrid's half before scoring. They must have had about 20 passes before the goal.

I chuckle at a mid table club at 0-0 away to Chelsea, Man. City or Man. United. They'd be camped 8 yards from their own goalline.

Real Madrid still winless at home in the league this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Barcelona now 7 pts clear Real Madrid. Who would have thought that after the super cup results!

Messi's just started this season incredibly which I was a bit naive just to dismiss. When he's in the zone Barca are 1 up from kick off.

I do think they will drop points as the season goes on but that's a big lead to have already.

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Anyone see the end of the Madrid-Betis game?

Amazing stuff from Betis? 0-0, 93rd minute and they're popping the ball around in Madrid's half before scoring. They must have had about 20 passes before the goal.

I chuckle at a mid table club at 0-0 away to Chelsea, Man. City or Man. United. They'd be camped 8 yards from their own goalline.

Real Madrid still winless at home in the league this season.

I think this is a bit of a generous summing up of the goal. Real had pretty much 8 players up front for the last 20 minutes which left them open to a counter attacking goal. The goal came from a nice cross to an unmarked player at the far post due to this.

I’m sure there’d be examples of this happening in the premier league when a big team is so desperate for a win that they completely neglect defending as an idea.

Betis could have had a couple before their goal on the breakaway but on most days real would have scored 3 or 4 with the chances they had. 

The goal wasn't scored on a counter attack, watch it again. For a good 30 seconds Betis were passing the ball around comfortable just past the halfway line which allowed Madrid to get a good number of players back but Betis get moving it around and created space for the cross.

It was a fantastic goal.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Messi's just started this season incredibly which I was a bit naive just to dismiss. When he's in the zone Barca are 1 up from kick off.

I do think they will drop points as the season goes on but that's a big lead to have already.

Barca seem much better balanced, even though they lost Neymar.  Looks like they've finally replaced Alves who was such a huge part of the way they played.  Of course if they lose Messi for longer than Real have lost Ronaldo they have little hope.

4 minutes ago, Infinte_Pest said:

Dxm1BSP.png

B)

Good stuff mate. Was 5 quid all you had left in your account or are you naturally tight? :lol:

I checked at 88 minutes and Betis were 40/1 and that was with Madrid just having two back in defence so I really should've had a nibble.

You win some, you lose a hell of a lot more....

Yes I wish I had done the same. I thought Betis played really well and could have scored a few times but how bad was Ronaldo tonight. I realise he has just come back but they looked better against sociedad when he wasn't playing. Also hated that Bale flick or whatever it was. seems lazy to me. could have guided into the corner instead of trying tricks

Bale was poor again. Madrid seem to be using him like Ashley Young played for us, just tell him to stay glued to the touchline and endlessly hit in crosses (most of which were overhit).

He's better given licence to come infield.

Think he'll be back in the prem next season.

Yes Chris I don't know where Bale actually played. Some times he went wide left. He put over a brilliant cross for Ronaldo. That was sitter. Only Modric looked any good. Think he has to pick Benzema to give them a focal point up front. Isco poor. Bale scored a great goal against Sociedad, but that's his type of goal and he didn't get that space last night. The once he did he put over that great cross.  Needs to come to Villa, get some good management under Bruce. 

Â