The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Just now, PaulC said:

Good game pity about the sending off. I think Marcelino is great as well. 

Valencia have had a lot of player turnover in the summer, which is never easy (look at Bielsa at Lille or even Alaves who have a much-changed side as they rely so heavily on loans). Marcelino has made it look easy at a club that normally makes everything look so difficult.

7 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Valencia have had a lot of player turnover in the summer, which is never easy (look at Bielsa at Lille or even Alaves who have a much-changed side as they rely so heavily on loans). Marcelino has made it look easy at a club that normally makes everything look so difficult.

and look how his former club are doing now. Another crushing defeat today

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

and look how his former club are doing now. Another crushing defeat today

Yeah, horrendous result for Escriba against his former club. He may be on borrowed time. Thought Villarreal had a good window too with Fornals, Bacca and Unal. Lost Musacchio, but young talents like Rodri and Castillejo a year older. Rated Escriba at Getafe but not doing so well atm, given what's at his disposal.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Zaza must have a pretty good record playing for them.

Much better striker than he showed playing in England. Just keep him off Penalties.

He was pretty good for Sassuolo tbf, playing alongside Sansone (now at Villarreal) and Berardi. Also scored an unbelievably crucial winner for Juve vs Napoli a couple of seasons ago when Napoli were bookies' favourites for the Scudetto. Think his awful pen in the Euros and unfit stint at West Ham has coloured people's opinion of him a bit!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Yeah, horrendous result for Escriba against his former club. He may be on borrowed time. Thought Villarreal had a good window too with Fornals, Bacca and Unal. Lost Musacchio, but young talents like Rodri and Castillejo a year older. Rated Escriba at Getafe but not doing so well atm, given what's at his disposal.

Villareal have a really poor defence this year. Lost Musacchio as you say which has hurt them a lot.

Have that say that Semedo guy they signed is totally clueless...he played opening day and cost them two goals through terrible positioning, they dropped him and started keeping clean sheets. Recalled today and they concede three...

Surprised Alaves are doing so badly. Thought they made some excellent loan signings like Munir and Bojan but Pellegrino organized them brilliantly and they've really lost that knack of clean sheets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Villareal have a really poor defence this year. Lost Musacchio as you say which has hurt them a lot.

Have that say that Semedo guy they signed is totally clueless...he played opening day and cost them two goals through terrible positioning, they dropped him and started keeping clean sheets. Recalled today and they concede three...

Surprised Alaves are doing so badly. Thought they made some excellent loan signings like Munir and Bojan but Pellegrino organized them brilliantly and they've really lost that knack of clean sheets.

Defo agree on Semedo. He was the weaker member of his CB partnership at Sporting with Coates! Think he cost about 15m too! Pellegrino was huge for Alaves and so were Theo Hernandez, Marcos Llorente and Victor Camarasa, all of whom were on loan and haven't returned. Played pretty well vs Real yesterday but I'm not sure they have the quality to stay up. De Biasi a decent appointment though.

45 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

would be classic Valencia to sack him after a few games when progress looks likely

I do think La Liga is always better for a strong Valencia and the league need them

• Like 3

Sevilla haven't really impressed me so far, have been grinding out the 1-0s Atletico style. Poor compared to Sampaoli football last year.

4th is certainly wide open I think. Didn't think Valencia would challenge so soon but they certainly have more steel in defence and midfield than they've had in last two years and can score goals away.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Sevilla haven't really impressed me so far, have been grinding out the 1-0s Atletico style. Poor compared to Sampaoli football last year.

4th is certainly wide open I think. Didn't think Valencia would challenge so soon but they certainly have more steel in defence and midfield than they've had in last two years and can score goals away.

I agree Chris Sevilla played some great stuff last year and were challenging for the title at one point but fell away badly after losing to Leicester. Sociedad have shown their inexperience last few games. Villareal wont get anywhere close. Bilbao aren't there. Theres only Valencia and Sevilla really

Â