The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

No disrespect to inter but wouldn't it be a backwards step to manage an Italian club. What about the Barcelona job? or is he too negative for their style and maybe Sampaoli more suited for that job. What about the Premier League and the Arsenal job?

I think he'll go to Inter, Paul. Big connection with the club as a player, and the Italian journos all see Pioli as a seat-filler for Simeone's eventual return. His son also plays in Italy. I see it as a shame that despite all of the top Argentinian managers (Simeone, Sampaoli, Bielsa, etc) the national team's golden era has been left with such poor coaches. I reckon Simeone could lead Argentina to a World Cup win in 2018, but their FA is a shambles, so nobody worth their salt will take the job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

No disrespect to inter but wouldn't it be a backwards step to manage an Italian club. What about the Barcelona job? or is he too negative for their style and maybe Sampaoli more suited for that job. What about the Premier League and the Arsenal job?

He just has an association with Inter (played for them when he got Beckham sent off at the world cup) and it would be a similar job to what he took over at Atletico, taking a side who finishes 6th or 7th to the top and also back contending for the champions league.

I really don't see him at Arsenal...would be such a switch from the style of play they've had. The one club I can see him at is Chelsea, managed Courois and Costa and really Chelsea fans don't care about defensive football if they keep on winning trophies as we've seen from previous managers. Think that would be the best fit for him in the Premier league.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Another 30 odd goal season for Messi, everyone just takes him for granted don't they.

Indeed. When he and Ronaldo retire, we will look back on these 2 as giants of the game.

Ronaldo seems to be showing slight chinks of age and slowing down now. Messi still looks fantastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Indeed. When he and Ronaldo retire, we will look back on these 2 as giants of the game.

Ronaldo seems to be showing slight chinks of age and slowing down now. Messi still looks fantastic.

i cant agree. In big games Messi hasnt looked that great either. 1st leg vs PSG he was dreadful

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

i cant agree. In big games Messi hasnt looked that great either. 1st leg vs PSG he was dreadful

I think he's had his best season in 2/3 years personally. The amount of games where Barca have been poor and he's dragged them single-handedly to a result is unbelievable. He's played Atleti/Sevilla/Sociedad/Athletic Club almost on his own and pulled Barcelona over the line. He was poor vs PSG, but so was the whole team other than Neymar. In the group stage, Messi played 5 games and scored 10, while allowing Neymar to take pens. Internationally, after his retirement/injuries Argentina were 7th (!) in World Cup qualifying. With him back they're in much better shape with him having dismantled Colombia on a solo mission in their most recent game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

About time Neymar did something, been poor for his club this season.

Another 30 odd goal season for Messi, everyone just takes him for granted don't they.

I think Neymar's performances have been pretty good, but his goal return has been poor. The only player that played well against PSG. When Messi hasn't been good he is the player that makes things happen. Yes its been another top season in La Liga for Messi

• Like 1

and to be fair Messi eats La Liga up, but he has been found wanting in the champions league big games the last two seasons. Barcelona may well go on and win the title and that will mainly be down to Messi but there are so many easy games in that league unlike the Premier League, and the ultimate test is the champions league and the last two seasons they have failed.

Edited by PaulC

On 3/3/2017 at 12:42, VillaChris said:

Inter will make another coaching change before summer 2018 I'd imagine.

I'd be quite surprised at this point. Pioli's done a fantastic job and they don't even have to pay out to bring Simeone in as his their contracts expire at the same time.

As for Atletico to Inter. I don't necessarily think it's a backwards step. To win the title in Italy you need to beat one team, to do it in Spain you need to beat 2, even better, teams. Inter are clearly a bigger club, making the Champions League is also arguably easier, for a good coach. Then the budget isn't even comparable. Atletico didn't spend all that much despite making a 2nd CL final in 3 years. Inter haven't even been in the CL for those 3 years and spent over £100m net.

Wobble in the Milan takeover.. Burlesconi says he would take back control if the Chinese deal falls through.

What is confusing is that the Chinese have made 3 separate 100m Euro payments labelled as deposits for the club.. It would be very strange for it to fall through now surely?

They're ticking over quite nicely in the league, they lose the odd "winnable" game, which has been frustrating.. but it's a young team, and getting better and I think only 1 point off the Europa spots and 7 off the CL (which they won't get into).

(not sure why I put this in the La Liga thread, sorry!)

Edited by lapal_fan

So Deportivo have just got a very dodgy/soft penalty on the 90th minute against Betis. I've said it before and I'll say it again the referees are terrible in the league but because this isn't Madrid/Barcelona it won't get picked up. This league needs all the help it can get via technology. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

So Deportivo have just got a very dodgy/soft penalty on the 90th minute against Betis. I've said it before and I'll say it again the referees are terrible in the league but because this isn't Madrid/Barcelona it won't get picked up. This league needs all the help it can get via technology. 

I'm not following La Liga as closely as I used to.

But as long as I can remember the ref standard in La Liga has been awful.

Just as in every other league the big clubs get favors, Real and Barca will always get the call they need. Be it a penalty or a sending off.

But as you say the overall standard is rubbish.

Â