The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

After a brief hibernation Villareal are back PaulC....glorious performance tonight.

What to make of Atletico...you'd still back then to have a good run in the CL as they are a nightmare to play in the knock out runs but looking like the Simeone era is drawing to a close with his wish to manage Inter Milan in the near future.

Think they'll drop back to 6/7th when he goes, it's already happening.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

After a brief hibernation Villareal are back PaulC....glorious performance tonight.

What to make of Atletico...you'd still back then to have a good run in the CL as they are a nightmare to play in the knock out runs but looking like the Simeone era is drawing to a close with his wish to manage Inter Milan in the near future.

Think they'll drop back to 6/7th when he goes, it's already happening.

Yes excellent I wrote them off too quickly. As good as they were though, Atletico were really poor and never ever looked like scoring. strange really, they look knackered. Guess a lot of the players played in the euros and too many games without much of a break in the summer has caught up with them. Maybe the winter break will help them. They could win the champions league. I think Simeone has said he is targeting that this season.

Sevilla are now 10 pts clear of Atletico and I would expect to beat Leicester to get to the quarters of the champions league but you never know with Leicester.

I'm pretty sure I laughed in disbelief when Madrid appointed Zidane as manager at the start of the year.

I just saw this stat, from Mario Melchiot of all people, I think it's safe to conclude that I know nothing. :P 

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

Conte and Pep were good players. 

Cruyff would be my choice as well 

Conte and Pep were good but never world class in their prime though Pep career will always be overshadowed by his drugs test and when he became a free agent at 29 no team touched him except Brescia which suspected something

beckenbauer or cruyff for me, they're the only 2 that have been superstars in both roles, pep and ancelloti were good players but were never the stars of the team

i might be wrong here but i dont think there is anyone who has won the league, the european cup and an international trophy as a player and a manager, beckenbauer ticks 5 of those boxes (never won the european cup as a manager, did win the UEFA cup though) pep can only get to 5 too assuming at some point he takes the spain national team job, then theres a few who tick 3 or 4 of those boxes

Trapattoni has to be up there. Not in Cruyff or Beckenbaur's league but an incredibly successful playing career was topped by an even more successful managerial one. I guess the 1985 European Cup win will always have an asterisk next to it but even so, he's a legendary figure in the game. 

Â