Running

trimandson

Some questions about this strava app

Do you need internet on your phone for it to work does it use data

Is it worth upgrading to premium

Shouldn't need data while you're going. It will probably help the aGPS to be a bit more accurate if you have a data connection though.

The phone app just tracks in the same way as runkeeper etc.

I personally just upload my Garmin watch tracks directly to the web site. I left phone tracking a long time ago when it started causing me issues with accuracy.

If you get serious, get a Garmin forerunner. Then maybe get Strava premium if you think it's worth it then.

Just starting to run. Did my first 3 miles in 24 mins. Any good? Any ideas on ways for me to progress for next year's half marathon.

Yes it's very good. Depending on lots of factors, 10 mins / mile is the general average starting point.

Just go out further and longer. You may need to slow down a bit but you're starting from a very good base.

How many days a week should I be running? What kind of distance should I be increasing per week? Is eating gonna be a major factor? Sorry about all the questions just curious.

I'm happy to be in a position to answer!

All depends on what you want. It's as simple as the more you run, the faster and further you go, and if you weigh less you go faster.

Extra weight is your enemy so get as light as you can, but leg and core muscle is worth the weight up to a certain point.

Eating, just stop eating cakes, sweets and rubbish. A balanced diet outside of those will give you everything you need. Try to eat more protein normally and more carbs the day or 2 before a race / long run.

Everyone has an opinion on how much to increase per week, how much you should be doing etc. I just think you run as much as you can whenever you can because life dictates you'll have to have days off now and again. If I could I would run every day (and sometimes do). If you're already at 8 minute miles, you already have a decent fitness base so you'll breeze up to 4, then 6, then 8, then 10. Generally for your first HM you don't need to train above 10 miles. My only advice is to start each run slow. It's tempting to go out fast but you absolutely have to wait 5-10 mins before pushing on. The time you'll make up on the rest of the run will more than compensate for the slow first mile.

Something like this would be the standard running schedule until you find something that suits better:

Monday: easy run, distance depending on how you feel.

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: 4 miles fartlek (pick a random point and sprint to it as fast as you can, jog slowly while recovering, then repeat)

Thursday: rest

Friday: 4 miles medium effort

Saturday: rest

Sunday: long run, step up 2 miles every week to 10 miles, then reset it.

On your rest days you could do core work, like planks, pull ups, push ups, kettle bells, free weights etc if you see fit.

I did 7 miles today in a hour . I felt like I had possibly 9 if not 10 miles in me but started to get a slight pain in my knee so decided to stop. I decided to slow it down as I wasn't progressing as much as I would have liked. Also i haven't trained as much as I would have liked and I'm spending more time building my core strength as I felt this would be very important due to my aches and general tightness the next day.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I am thinking of doing the Gate River Run. I just don't want to die. I did well a few years ago, but I haven't done more than a 5k at a time for the last year. I think I can be ready by March. I do work out every day so it shouldn't be too bad.....I think.

I think im going to change from racing flats to some more cushioned trainers

Recovery time seems to be twice as long after i started wearing them

What's your foot strike (heel, midfoot, forefoot)? I imagine if you generally land on your heels, you're going to run into problems without proper cushioning, as there needs to be something there to soften the impact. I run mainly in minimal/low-drop trainers, but I spent a season conscientiously adjusting my heel strike forward on roads and running technical trails (in which you effectively have to run on your toes) before I made the switch. I still have a pair of cushy Nike Vomero trainers that I'll rotate in and out if I'm running a heavy week, but I've found that I have fewer impact-type issues now than I ever did before.

Been doing lots of interval training and managed to do 4km in just under 18 mins.  I was dead though.  Considering I was averaging between 24 and 26 mins for 5k, I am quite happy with that.  I am going to try hill repeats but need to look into what I need to do as I have never done it before.

• Like 1

Droitwich Half in a couple of weeks. Hoping to get close to my 1.36 PB.

After that it's my favourite event. The WOLF run. http://www.thewolfrun.com/ Fantastic fun.

Anyone else doing any races / events this year?

Not strictly running, but tough mudder in april. not getting nearly enough training in right now though!

After that it's my favourite event. The WOLF run. http://www.thewolfrun.com/ Fantastic fun.

Not strictly running, but tough mudder in april. not getting nearly enough training in right now though!

That the one in Hollybush at the bottom of the Malverns?

That the one in Hollybush at the bottom of the Malverns?
no it's somewhere near Wycombe. the malvern (mud runner?) one is 5 or 10km i think, this is 10 to 12 miles.

Will be doing some in the autumn; training dedicated to La Marmotte the mother of all cycling sportives; Col du Glandon, Col du Galabier and finish on the Alpe...

Very nice, Im going to apply for next year (although I have heard its tough to get into)  maybe along with the Paris Roubaix sportive.

Its tough stuff, I did Alpe d'huez on its own (took me over an hour) last August and that hurt.

Droitwich half cancelled 2 weeks before due to weather. Bit premature if you ask me.

Struggling to get below 20 mins for my 5k. No matter what I do it seems my limit is about 6.40 a mile. More fartlek then!

Droitwich half cancelled 2 weeks before due to weather. Bit premature if you ask me.

Struggling to get below 20 mins for my 5k. No matter what I do it seems my limit is about 6.40 a mile. More fartlek then!

Hill repeats are the one to go for - proper resistance training!!

Hill repeats are the one to go for - proper resistance training!!

Most places seem to suggest fartlek/intervals are only required once a week. Do you think this or hills are worth doing more than that? My standard routes take in some decent hills and I think this is why I sped up so much last summer. I haven't been able to do it in the dark over the winter though.

I tend to go for speed session 2-3 times and a single longer run (plus recovery runs if you have time) when in normal training mode. This is what I've always been taught from the guy who coached me and it was the real hard stuff that I think made the difference. I will always try and find a long hill and try and do 6-8 repeats with the recovery coming from a slow jog back to the start. Usually by 7/8 you are burying yourself which psychologically helps with being in the bad place when you are on the final 1k or so of parkrun.

Â