Running

trimandson

Can't believe how many injuries I hear that other people have. I'm very lucky to not get anything really. If I cycle my left knee hurts but running has never caused me any issues.

If it hurts then you have a problem; I had massive ITB issues; don’t get them at all now. It was mainly down to strengthening exercises, so I suspect your pain is a symptom not the problem itself. What strengthening are you doing?

Hurt is the wrong word i feel it and i feel it in some spots than others, i thought the point of rolling is that you’ll feel it and your helping those areas, like this Aussie bloke demonstrates. The points he says you should feel it i do, i/e not my whole thigh..

I dont do any strengthening exercies at all, but i’m defiantly interested in strengthening if its going to help my running. Err any strengthening exercise recommendations?

To be honest i think i’m more PFPS, runners knee than ITB as its round the front of my knee and specifically when i’m coming down stairs, so could do with some strengthening exercise for that.

Edited by VillaForever1970

If it hurts then you have a problem; I had massive ITB issues; don’t get them at all now. It was mainly down to strengthening exercises, so I suspect your pain is a symptom not the problem itself. What strengthening are you doing?

Hurt is the wrong word i feel it and i feel it in some spots than others, i thought the point of rolling is that you’ll feel it and your helping those areas, like this Aussie bloke demonstrates. The points he says you should feel it i do, i/e not my whole thigh..

I dont do any strengthening exercies at all, but i’m defiantly interested in strengthening if its going to help my running. Err any strengthening exercise recommendations?

To be honest i think i’m more PFPS, runners knee than ITB as its round the front of my knee and specifically when i’m coming down stairs, so could do with some strengthening exercise for that.

Its hard to recommend exact exercises, without being an expert on the problem, I could easily worsen the problem. I would recommend finding a good physio. The problem with the information on the internet is almost too much information, and it doesn’t deal with the small nuances of injuries

If you are in Birmingham I think these are the main men or through the university sports department which has a national reputation

The thing is it can get very expensive very quickly, but if they can solve the problem it is worth the money.

Anybody ever have lower-GI issues with their running, and any useful suggestions for avoiding them (e.g. things to avoid eating beforehand, etc.)? I've cancelled many a run because I've felt an inopportune intestinal blowout looming, but I've still had close calls on runs where I felt pretty good beforehand. 10k into a 20k run is no time to find yourself doubled over with intestinal cramps.

Only problem I ever had was eating a bucket of pasta the night before a marathon, then having to explode out my rear end half way round.

Apart from that as long as I haven't eaten within 2 hours of the race I'm pretty solid. Within that I'll get indigestion and cramps.

I question the need to eat anything before a race. I don't bother eating anything before parkruns and I find a coffee far better to aid performance than food. All your muscles should already have energy from stored glycogen anyway.

Well done mate. That's about where I am at the moment I reckon. I seem to be able to sit at 7.00 / mile all day but it's maintaining in the 6s for a while that I'm struggling with.

Ive been doing it for a few years now. Started with 2 or 3 miles, progressed to 10k and then on to half marathon. Due to knee pain i switched to triathlon to reduce running distance and improve overall fitness. I still run 10k distance as part of that, so im 3 or 4 3-5 Mile interval runs a week at around 7-8 Mins/mile. Best 10k time is 41'59.

• Like 2

Droitwich half was cancelled today so I went to do the Anglesey half in Menai Bridge.

Lovely scenic course with a few ups and downs, but the wind was brutal; a strong headwind for half the race, really tough. It was a really lonely race as well, no groups to latch on to! So I finished in 75:51 for 6th place, which is 2 minutes slower than my PB set at Stafford last year.

I'm running a half marathon in Hannover, Germany next month. It better not be bloody windy again!

• Like 2

Almost dipped below 20 mins at today's parkrun. 20.12. Happy that every person in front of me had a club vest on :-)

Well done, excellent time.

Just did 3 mile canal run in 22:36, would love to get down to around 20.

Never done a 5k race, usually do 10k, 10 mile or h/marathon.

Was that canon hill?

Cheers mate. Arrow Valley. We had the cannon hill lot 2 weeks ago when theirs was closed :-)

5ks are lovely. I love the atmosphere and community of the parkruns.

Â