Running

trimandson

Well that was a crock. Awful run at the end of my half ironman, mostly because I was puking every half a km, I think one may have got a bit of heatstroke as it's seriously hot in Mallorca today!!

Dangerous! Be careful :)

I think I need to get some confidence inducing races under my belt over the next couple of weeks as not a happy bunny with Saturday as did not prepare well for the heat at all and ended up 45 mins off what I wanted. 8 weeks until ironman Germany and currently bricking it after that travesty.

I think I need to get some confidence inducing races under my belt over the next couple of weeks as not a happy bunny with Saturday as did not prepare well for the heat at all and ended up 45 mins off what I wanted. 8 weeks until ironman Germany and currently bricking it after that travesty.

What distance was it?

What distance was it?

1.9k swim, 56 bike and 13.1 run (Germany will be double). All went wrong on the bike as didn't take in anywhere near enough water and along with being hot we had a 1500ft climb in the middle of it which I decided to hit hard despite dropping my water bottle at previous aid station (50k between 1st and 2nd).

Unless it's really hot I don't drink during races (back on running).

My general routine is to have a porridge breakfast 2-3 hours before the start, with a cup of strong coffee.

Then if I feel thirsty, take a bit of water at 7 miles on a HM, otherwise not.

Although I did get a stitch at mile 12 of the Warwick half due to not taking any water on.

Looking forward to Birmingham and Black Country HM now. It's my nemesis. Last 2 times I've run it have been 2:18:15 and 2:01:25. As I've just done a 10k with some nasty hills in 41:40, I've got to be looking close to 1:32ish on a flat surface. I just hope they don't have the climb over the Coseley tunnel like last year which made it more like 14 miles.

You should join me on a few runs around the Surrey Hills. I did a mere 2000 metres on the weekend and 127 miles. Only have to find 3500 metres to do La Marmotte...

I do a bit in Farnham sort of area, definately more interestng than surrounds of Basingstoke.

As a punishment to myself for poor perfromance and stupidty (for at least not grabbing a backup bottle) my recovery ride today involved 73 miles with 2100+ meters of climbing including 2 big climbs which wrecked my already tired legs. It was actually cold today it seems the north of Mallorca has dropped 10degrees since saturday - could of done wth this weather on saturday (apart from the wind on way back today was rough).

But yeah nutrition is an issue for me, Ive failed miserably on all 3 half ironman attempts (to varying degrees) as I either dont take enough or it messes with my stomach - need to look at more natural options - marmite sarnies?!?

My general routine is to have a porridge breakfast 2-3 hours before the start, with a cup of strong coffee.

Although I did get a stitch at mile 12 of the Warwick half due to not taking any water on.

Looking forward to Birmingham and Black Country HM now. It's my nemesis. Last 2 times I've run it have been 2:18:15 and 2:01:25. As I've just done a 10k with some nasty hills in 41:40, I've got to be looking close to 1:32ish on a flat surface. I just hope they don't have the climb over the Coseley tunnel like last year which made it more like 14 miles.

How have u cut that much time off ur HM time?...was it a long time ago? Brum half pb is 1:49...would love to knock 10 mins off that. Started running with a club so that should help me. Any other tips??

How have u cut that much time off ur HM time?...was it a long time ago? Brum half pb is 1:49...would love to knock 10 mins off that. Started running with a club so that should help me. Any other tips??

About 9 months ago. Just trained more really. It took ages to get to my first milestone which was 4 miles in 30 minutes. It was always the thing I wanted to do so I could call myself a runner. Now I'm upset if it takes me any more than 29 minutes.

I think parkruns were a big helper. My 5k times pretty quickly came down to 21 minutes because of suddenly being in a quick group.

Since I got semi-decent I've been doing the same training regime which is 10+ miles on a Sunday morning if I can, 4-6 miles 3+ times a week as fast as I can, try and do 20 pushups every other morning or 8 minute abs from YouTube.

Losing 3 stone probably helped a bit as well ;-)

My Brum HM PB was 1.51 in 2012. In 2013 I did it in 1.36 so you can make a big difference in a short period.

It's just all hills, intervals and parkruns :)

So what are your experiences with energy gels and bars

Just ordered a bundle of each from SiS

Is it best to eat a bar 2 - 3 hours before a run it contains 60g of carbs and have a gel half way through one i guess?

Not really a breakfast person so i thought a bar would be easier

Don't know if to take the caffeine gel or the normal one either 

Edited by AshVilla

I use the SIS caffeine ones - I'm undecided at the moment because I spent Saturday throwing them up, but that could of been the heat. I will be testing them over some hard training sessions next few weeks so will make a decision on them soon.

To be honest I tried a new approach last week; homemade oat bars (with peanut butter & banana), some gels and some clif energy shot bloks. Set my watch to beep every 10 minutes to take on fluid (750ml/hr), and then every 20 took on some food. I rode for over 7 hours, and at the end took on some caffeine. Didn’t lose that much weight and felt fine. Refuelling is clearly somewhere a lot of people don’t do so well, its practise that makes perfect. I find the body yearns for different tastes during exercise; too much sweet and you vomit.

Anyway I did a sub 20 minute park run today. Very happy with that.

• Like 2

They moved parkrun today as there was an event in the park when it's normally run instead it was held in the same place I used to do cross country at school too many years ago. Anyway it seems to have suited me as I got my first parkrun win today and I think I won it by quite a large margin too. Not a PB today but close and on a far harder course. Helped to put last week to bed a bit.

To be honest I tried a new approach last week; homemade oat bars (with peanut butter & banana), some gels and some clif energy shot bloks. Set my watch to beep every 10 minutes to take on fluid (750ml/hr), and then every 20 took on some food. I rode for over 7 hours, and at the end took on some caffeine. Didn’t lose that much weight and felt fine. Refuelling is clearly somewhere a lot of people don’t do so well, its practise that makes perfect. I find the body yearns for different tastes during exercise; too much sweet and you vomit.

Anyway I did a sub 20 minute park run today. Very happy with that.

I was gonna try some homemade stuff too to see if that helps and even considering taking marmite sarnies for IM Germany to help with salt and to give something different.

Do you have a time in mind for the Marmotte?

Â