Running

trimandson

On the footwear thread, I just got a pair of Saucony Virrata, and I like them a lot. I've put 70km on them in the first week and they're a dream—feather light and comfortable. For runners with a forefoot/midfoot running style, I recommend them. The only drawback so far is that the tread pattern has a tendency to get little stones and rocks stuck in it.

Wasnt sure where to post this so it's hear. I had a meniscectomy 4 weeks ago and have been recovering since. From the very beginning I was able to walk ok on it and it generally felt fine although I knew I didn't wanna put too much pressue on it.

4 weeks on and it can generally bend fine, and I can actually run on it but i've noticed when i plant the knee firmly into the ground I get pain at the back of it andI also find it gets very sore on the lateral side where the tear was. There's also a clicking that takes place around the area which hurts a bit when it clicks but then feels a bit better after.

I had my orthotics amended at the same time which i thoight would help. I've noticed my other knee is now sore to the side of the kneecap and i have a bit of pain in my right glute (the operation was on the left knee)

Im bringing it up because im taking part in a fiat football tournement at Villa park on the 16th may and i am desperate to play. It will have been about 10 weeks since my surgery so I can't see why i couldnt play but the way i feel right now it seems my whole body is falling apart, any thoughts?

I had two ops on my meniscus, the first one went okay, I waited 4 months, played football and re-tore it again first time I played. 2nd time I waited a year and it was fine. Not that I would ever choose to play football again, I was always injured and crap at it. Now not so much (he says with an ice pack on his ankle which I rolled an hour ago).

• 2 weeks later...

Been out injured for a while and I've piled on weight. Was going for a run tonight and was absolutely dead after a mile, went a fair pace (probably just under 3/4 pace) for the mile to be fair. Any tips for me, fitness at an all time low. I wasn't well wrapped up and it was kind of chilly, and is there any recommended breathing techniques or anything. I was fully bate after the mile. There's a marathon on in August and I'd love to give it a go.

Just go slower. If you can't sustain it, you're going too fast.

A marathon? August? You'll struggle if you can't run a mile.

Ya? Thing is I've a sinus infection the last few days and I think that may have had something to do with it. Played a full 90mins Sunday and was fine, was feeling it in patches but wasn't as exhausted as I was last night, & I've been playing fairly intense indoor soccer the last few weeks, with no problems. I'll try taking it slower tomorrow night and see how that goes. cheers 

Edited by Folski

I think if you are not worried about time than anything is possible, but being someone who used to play footie with mates/Sunday league and now runs the fitness levels are totally different and requirements are different for anything over 5k.

• Like 2

I think if you are not worried about time than anything is possible, but being someone who used to play footie with mates/Sunday league and now runs the fitness levels are totally different and requirements are different for anything over 5k.

Really? Does it take long to build up a good level? See my mom who hadn't ran in over 30 years did a half marathon last year with about 4 months training. Realistically, I'd be thrilled if I was able to run 5 to 10 miles a night comfortably by August, I'm more interested in losing the weight I've put on and improving my fitness. 

Same here. In fact I'd say distance running and football don't help each other as you need different types of muscle. I found once I'd put big slow muscles on my legs, my touch went in football as I think you lose the required fast twitch type.

Again big difference between running quick/well (this has taken me a couple of years but I had stopped playing football for a year and had been a 20 a day smoker) and being able to complete the distance. It took me about 2 months or so to get fit enough where I could run a 10k race (52 minutes) training a couple of times a week.

I will plug my coaches book again "art of running faster - Julian Goater" as it will give you all you need to begin running well. I do 3 to 4 sessions a week (usually 2 coached) that are basically the same theory and it's working for me.

Just did my first run in months. Only two miles, dead steady, but it felt good. 

Aiming to be back with the club in a couple of weeks time. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

Just back from run #2.

5K done in 34mins, my sinuses are still in bits and I spent every other minute blowing my nose, a nice stretch was up hill and I was running up the hill into the breeze, I was stopped with the dog for at least a few minutes as well, so I think I probably completed in less than 30mins. Very happy this morning. :) One thing though, the back of my knees were very sore after about 2.5K and I felt I needed to give them a break if it wasn't for that I think I would have been sub 25mins, I felt every part of my body could have kept going other than the backs of my knees, any tips for this?

Backs of knees will be hamstrings being tight as it's basically where they join behind the knee. Lots of hamstring stretched during the day solves it.

I managed to injure myself last night in the same way as I did before my (triathlon) race in October last year, where my time trial position on my bike seems to mess with my hips and then I can't run. Looks like I'm taking my road bike to my next race in 2 weeks time. Lots of ice, stretching and swimming only this weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, getting closer to the that sub 1:30!!

My half marathon attempts (technically running one next Saturday) are on hold until September/October while I do some middle/long distance tri and some other races.

Well that was a crock. Awful run at the end of my half ironman, mostly because I was puking every half a km, I think one may have got a bit of heatstroke as it's seriously hot in Mallorca today!!

Edited by andyjsg

Â