Running

trimandson

My running progress is:

5k: 20:11

10k: 43:28

HM: 1:36:38

In anything less than 10 mile runs, I'm disappointed if I average above 7:30/mile.

Been a bit ill recently so getting the fitness back up but this is where I'm at right now: http://www.strava.com/activities/103522633

Doing Droitwich HM, Worcester HM, Stratford HM, Stratford 10k, Wolf Run (favourite), Birmingham and Black Country HM, Great Birmingham Run this year (so far)

Just starting to run. Did my first 3 miles in 24 mins. Any good? Any ideas on ways for me to progress for next year's half marathon.

Yes it's very good. Depending on lots of factors, 10 mins / mile is the general average starting point.

Just go out further and longer. You may need to slow down a bit but you're starting from a very good base.

Just starting to run. Did my first 3 miles in 24 mins. Any good? Any ideas on ways for me to progress for next year's half marathon.

Yes it's very good. Depending on lots of factors, 10 mins / mile is the general average starting point.

Just go out further and longer. You may need to slow down a bit but you're starting from a very good base.

How many days a week should I be running? What kind of distance should I be increasing per week? Is eating gonna be a major factor? Sorry about all the questions just curious.

New Year, so what are the aims for this year? I invest in a GPS watch for Christmas, really interesting for finding how well I am doing

My aim is to complete the Great Birmingham Run and once I have done that I will be hanging up my running shoes for good.

How many days a week should I be running? What kind of distance should I be increasing per week? Is eating gonna be a major factor? Sorry about all the questions just curious.

I'm happy to be in a position to answer!

All depends on what you want. It's as simple as the more you run, the faster and further you go, and if you weigh less you go faster.

Extra weight is your enemy so get as light as you can, but leg and core muscle is worth the weight up to a certain point.

Eating, just stop eating cakes, sweets and rubbish. A balanced diet outside of those will give you everything you need. Try to eat more protein normally and more carbs the day or 2 before a race / long run.

Everyone has an opinion on how much to increase per week, how much you should be doing etc. I just think you run as much as you can whenever you can because life dictates you'll have to have days off now and again. If I could I would run every day (and sometimes do). If you're already at 8 minute miles, you already have a decent fitness base so you'll breeze up to 4, then 6, then 8, then 10. Generally for your first HM you don't need to train above 10 miles. My only advice is to start each run slow. It's tempting to go out fast but you absolutely have to wait 5-10 mins before pushing on. The time you'll make up on the rest of the run will more than compensate for the slow first mile.

Something like this would be the standard running schedule until you find something that suits better:

Monday: easy run, distance depending on how you feel.

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: 4 miles fartlek (pick a random point and sprint to it as fast as you can, jog slowly while recovering, then repeat)

Thursday: rest

Friday: 4 miles medium effort

Saturday: rest

Sunday: long run, step up 2 miles every week to 10 miles, then reset it.

On your rest days you could do core work, like planks, pull ups, push ups, kettle bells, free weights etc if you see fit.

• Like 2

New Year, so what are the aims for this year? I invest in a GPS watch for Christmas, really interesting for finding how well I am doing

To run. At all. I'll think about racing if I get consistently injury free. 

I know the feeling Mike, I ve finally found a physio and a programme that seems to be working for me, but its been a long way back, and picked up other niggly injuries along the way.

Whats the problem?

Well much of 2012 and 2013 was written off due to severe plantar fasciitis. Then when I made my comeback in the autumn I overdid it in a local race and gave myself a "sports hernia" - not as bad as it sounds, basically a small muscle tear in the stomach wall, but has to be rested until it heals (worse cases require minor surgery). 

Anyhow, it seems to have settled down, and I was back running with no problems just before Xmas - then I got this man flu virus, which has poleaxed me good and proper. 

So, next week or so, as our old friend used to say: we go again. 

Edited by mjmooney

I'm happy to be in a position to answer!

All depends on what you want. It's as simple as the more you run, the faster and further you go, and if you weigh less you go faster.

Extra weight is your enemy so get as light as you can, but leg and core muscle is worth the weight up to a certain point.

Eating, just stop eating cakes, sweets and rubbish. A balanced diet outside of those will give you everything you need. Try to eat more protein normally and more carbs the day or 2 before a race / long run.

Everyone has an opinion on how much to increase per week, how much you should be doing etc. I just think you run as much as you can whenever you can because life dictates you'll have to have days off now and again. If I could I would run every day (and sometimes do). If you're already at 8 minute miles, you already have a decent fitness base so you'll breeze up to 4, then 6, then 8, then 10. Generally for your first HM you don't need to train above 10 miles. My only advice is to start each run slow. It's tempting to go out fast but you absolutely have to wait 5-10 mins before pushing on. The time you'll make up on the rest of the run will more than compensate for the slow first mile.

Something like this would be the standard running schedule until you find something that suits better:

Monday: easy run, distance depending on how you feel.

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: 4 miles fartlek (pick a random point and sprint to it as fast as you can, jog slowly while recovering, then repeat)

Thursday: rest

Friday: 4 miles medium effort

Saturday: rest

Sunday: long run, step up 2 miles every week to 10 miles, then reset it.

On your rest days you could do core work, like planks, pull ups, push ups, kettle bells, free weights etc if you see fit.

Thanks Alot mate for the depth of advice. I really appreciate it and shall keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks again

To run. At all. I'll think about racing if I get consistently injury free. 

I know the feeling Mike, I ve finally found a physio and a programme that seems to be working for me, but its been a long way back, and picked up other niggly injuries along the way.

Whats the problem?

Well much of 2012 and 2013 was written off due to severe plantar fasciitis. Then when I made my comeback in the autumn I overdid it in a local race and gave myself a "sports hernia" - not as bad as it sounds, basically a small muscle tear in the stomach wall, but has to be rested until it heals (worse cases require minor surgery). 

Anyhow, it seems to have settled down, and I was back running with no problems just before Xmas - then I got this man flu virus, which has poleaxed me good and proper. 

So, next week or so, as our old friend used to say: we go again. 

Well fingers crossed for 2014...

• Like 1

Right,

Wanted to do this before Christmas but didn't have enough money but now I have some new running trainers. Brooks Adrenaline, cost a fair bit but decided to do it properly this time. Been on a couple of runs and they are a lot better than my other trainers however even after running 3-4 miles I feel I have had enough not due to me being tired but more my legs/feet being injured.

Iv seen a few videos on youtube about running technique and it seems that this may be why im getting injured so often, I really dont run very well but the though of changing how I run seems pretty hard. Did anyone else have to go through this when they started out?

Right,

Wanted to do this before Christmas but didn't have enough money but now I have some new running trainers. Brooks Adrenaline, cost a fair bit but decided to do it properly this time. Been on a couple of runs and they are a lot better than my other trainers however even after running 3-4 miles I feel I have had enough not due to me being tired but more my legs/feet being injured.

Iv seen a few videos on youtube about running technique and it seems that this may be why im getting injured so often, I really dont run very well but the though of changing how I run seems pretty hard. Did anyone else have to go through this when they started out?

I've only ever stuck to asics because I started with them and won't risk changing now so I don't know anything about brooks I'm afraid.

As for running technique most people try to stride too far and have too low of a cadence. Don't try and force yourself to run against your natural style but try relaxing your arms and shoulders, keep your arms low and swingy, then pretend you're running on eggshells. Take small quick strides that don't feel like hard work. Essentially just relax everything and try to move yourself with as little effort as possible.

Oh yeah and belly breathe. That made a big difference to me. I'd gotten into the habit of high chest breathing where you don't take in enough oxygen. Try pushing out your abdomen as you breathe in.

• Like 2

Most injuries are caused by fatigue. Whilst aerobically your body might be able to cope with the running, the legs might not. 

One thing that might help is run/walk. You run for five minutes and then walk for one minute. You start off doing that four or five times and twice a week. After a few weeks if you aren’t feeling any pain build it up to three times a week and eventually running non stop.

Now your technique might not be great because of some kind of muscular weakness and tightness. 

Really recommend stretching and getting a roller. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, had to google what a roller was!

Went to the track yesterday with friends, managed to do a 5k in 24 minutes which I was surprised at. Think my legs are slowly adjusting to it all, just need to stick at it.

Mix it up I think is what I recommend; make your steady runs steady, your fast runs fast, and your recovery days to recover. 

Distance is something you can build up to; just because you can run 5 miles, doesn’t mean you should on a regular basis until you can properly cope.

running should be challenging, but it shouldn’t be unenjoyable.

I enjoyed the great brum run so much last year i decided to enter the great north run ballot anybody else doing it or done it in the past

What would your advice be in regards to travel and accommodation i notice they do something for 30 quid where you stay on a camp bed with 300 other people and a coach trip which is 125 quid return don't know if theres anything cheaper

What's a good running app for iphone?

I used to use "imapmyrun" (i think, something like that anyway)

Free, and it maps your run as you do it and records your speed, time, splits, inclines etc etc and saves it all.

Really useful, especially if you're mapping out a new route and want to know how far it is.

As a result I had a load of routes around where I live. A 2 mile one, 3 mile, 4 mile, 5 mile, 10k and 10 mile.

Would have been a lot more complicated without it

What's a good running app for iphone?

I used to use "imapmyrun" (i think, something like that anyway)

Free, and it maps your run as you do it and records your speed, time, splits, inclines etc etc and saves it all.

Really useful, especially if you're mapping out a new route and want to know how far it is.

As a result I had a load of routes around where I live. A 2 mile one, 3 mile, 4 mile, 5 mile, 10k and 10 mile.

Would have been a lot more complicated without it

Cheers Steve.

Â