Running

trimandson

For 5k training I would recommend interval, fartleks and hill repeats. All ways to make you get used to running at a faster pace. It's worked really well for me took me from 24 mins to 19 (which currently I can't get near). Training for endurance seems to make you slower even when you don't want it to....

• Like 1

For 5k training I would recommend interval, fartleks and hill repeats. All ways to make you get used to running at a faster pace. It's worked really well for me took me from 24 mins to 19 (which currently I can't get near). Training for endurance seems to make you slower even when you don't want it to....

Currently battling to get under 20 for the 5k. I shave a few seconds off each week. I need to start doing more intervals rather than just going out as fast as I can every time.

Hill repeats was the difference for me oh and losing weight. Ive got stronger and faster on bike but that has added weight and slowed me down a bit. Also my diet isnt great for someone trying to be a part time athlete.

I recently joined strava as they had a 500k cycling challenge Xmas week so uploaded all my garmin data for the last year. I would be up for joining a group - athlete: 3478504

Q. Does anyone know anyone that owns a motorised treadmill that actually uses it? Are they just the things people buy, then don't use, then finally sell on eBay?

Yeah, I have one in the office, I use it every day, just a simple one that has different speeds.

If I knew somebody who owned a treadmill I would point out to them the existence of this thing called "the outside". It's free. 

Sometimes, I have to be in the Office at certain times and even with the ability to be contacted by mobile etc, I'd be too far away from the office environment to react to whatever's came in if I went for a run.

But with a 'Travelator' (As I call it :)) I can get the exercise whilst still remaining in the office.

Although, I could just jog from one end of the office to the other, though I wouldn't be able to get up a good speed.

Plus, if on any given day, the weather's a bit rubbish, you can still get the exercise without having to face the elements.

Although I personally love running in the elements, makes it more enjoyable for me however some people do not and there's lower risk of illness or injury if you're inside on a running machine (The risk is not obsolete though :) Could slip off and crash in to the cat...if you have one)

If I knew somebody who owned a treadmill I would point out to them the existence of this thing called "the outside". It's free.

I used to be a decent runner but I've piled on the pounds recently and want to get back in to it.

The problem I have is that the best time for a run is of an evening when Mrs Tamuff goes to work, but I can't leave the house as the Bambinos are asleep...

Just wondered if there were any examples of people buying one and using it on a regular basis.

Was out running the other night doing my usual route which takes me down a pretty dim lit street was pitch black but there are street lamps anyway i was coming round a corner was in the zone and suddenly the ground opened up turned out there was a pothole dug by national grid that wasn't covered over was about 2 ft deep with water at the bottom both my legs went down and i smashed both my legs just below the knee's and above the shinbone on the concrete corner of the hole

I couldn't feel my legs for about 5 mins afterwards and was in agony didn't scream or anything but it really hurt  thought i did some serious damage at first as legs were completely numb it went after a while and i managed to complete the rest of the run think my legs are just bruised on the bone and badly cut miracle i didn't break anything so relieved

Basically the moral of this tale is not to run down dimly lit streets and national grid are rocket polishers for not covering excavations

Edited by AshVilla

Was out running the other night doing my usual route which takes me down a pretty dim lit street was pitch black but there are street lamps anyway i was coming round a corner was in the zone and suddenly the ground opened up turned out there was a pothole dug by national grid that wasn't covered over was about 2 ft deep with water at the bottom both my legs went down and i smashed both my legs just below the knee's and above the shinbone on the concrete corner of the hole

I couldn't feel my legs for about 5 mins afterwards and was in agony didn't scream or anything but it really hurt thought i did some serious damage at first as legs were completely numb it went after a while and i managed to complete the rest of the run think my legs are just bruised on the bone and badly cut miracle i didn't break anything so relieved

Basically the moral of this tale is not to run down dimly lit streets and national grid are rocket polishers for not covering excavations

Were you like this?

Beckv.gif

I went pretty fast the other night when I took a different route at about 9pm. Pitch black lane and looked to my side to see some massive wrought iron gates. It took me a few seconds to realise I was running at the side of a huge graveyard. Nice jolt of adrenaline to speed off.

Â