Running

trimandson

• 2 weeks later...

Now 7 weeks away from my first marathon and did a 2 hour 40 min run today. First ten miles nice and easy in 96 mins then kicked on and did just over 7 miles in 64 mins. For the first time ever though I found the last three miles hard work even though I had run 16.2 miles/for 2 hours 30 mins (first 10 miles again nice and easy and then kicked on) last week with no issues and felt fine. Not sure if just one of those things. It was wet and really windy and thinking about it I had only had a bowl of cereal this morning an hour before setting out. Had two energy gels one after 70 mins and one after a hour and 15 mins and drank around 500mil of lucozade during the run.

Todays run has dented my confidence a little. As well as my long run of a weekend I am doing a couple of 7 - 8 mile runs in the week and doing these in around 7 min 50sec pace to get my heart rate up.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Now 7 weeks away from my first marathon and did a 2 hour 40 min run today. First ten miles nice and easy in 96 mins then kicked on and did just over 7 miles in 64 mins. For the first time ever though I found the last three miles hard work even though I had run 16.2 miles/for 2 hours 30 mins (first 10 miles again nice and easy and then kicked on) last week with no issues and felt fine. Not sure if just one of those things. It was wet and really windy and thinking about it I had only had a bowl of cereal this morning an hour before setting out. Had two energy gels one after 70 mins and one after a hour and 15 mins and drank around 500mil of lucozade during the run.

I am hoping for a sub four hour marathon but todays run has dented my confidence a little. As well as my long run of a weekend I am doing a couple of 7 - 8 mile runs in the week and doing these in around 7 min 50sec pace to get my heart rate up.

You'll do 4 hours no probs with your training.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

You'll do 4 hours no probs with your training.

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am hoping for a sub four hour marathon but todays run has dented my confidence a little. As well as my long run of a weekend I am doing a couple of 7 - 8 mile runs in the week and doing these in around 7 min 50sec pace to get my heart rate up.

what darren said... a few bad/hard runs are to be expected. I'd be more worried if all your training went without a hitch.

• Like 1

Did an absolute crazy 10 miles yesterday.  It was all steep up and down hills, with a 400ft climb in the 2nd mile, and a 550 ft one in the last mile.  About 2,000 ft in total of hills, which absolutely knackered me completely.

• Like 1

Did an absolute crazy 10 miles yesterday.  It was all steep up and down hills, with a 400ft climb in the 2nd mile, and a 550 ft one in the last mile.  About 2,000 ft in total of hills, which absolutely knackered me completely.

Great training, you can bank that for the easy flats of London.

• Like 1

Whisper it, but after what has been the best part of two years' layoff with The Three "I"s (Injuries, Illness and Idleness), I've eased back into running, including two sessions a week with the club. Still taking it steady, but speed and stamina is noticeably improving. 

This post could have easily have gone in the Cheer You Up thread. Feels great. 

• Like 2

Great news!! My brain has gone to smudge from all the long distance running but am I right in thinking you are quite a handy runner at full fitness??

Despite carrying a little hammy injury, it doesn't seem to limit the ability to do long easy so been going for a bit of distance. As this week has the longest training run (22 miles) I should be over 100km (from Monday) by Sunday. As of today I'm 697km for the year.

• Like 1

Changed from asics gel nimbus to mizuno wave enigma 5. Getting very hot ball of foot in right foot which seems to be a common thing with these. Looks like I've got 400 miles to suffer with these then back to the asics. I am getting my speed back though, I'm happy at low 6s again over 5k. Gotta lose more weight to get race ready for my tris in June and July.

2 hours ago, andyjsg said:

Great news!! My brain has gone to smudge from all the long distance running but am I right in thinking you are quite a handy runner at full fitness??

Despite carrying a little hammy injury, it doesn't seem to limit the ability to do long easy so been going for a bit of distance. As this week has the longest training run (22 miles) I should be over 100km (from Monday) by Sunday. As of today I'm 697km for the year.

Me? For my age, probably a bit above average, but no more than that. Middle of the pack runner, which is what I want to get back to. Planning to do the Yorkshire Veterans series this summer. That's when I'll know where I am. 

Changed from asics gel nimbus to mizuno wave enigma 5. Getting very hot ball of foot in right foot which seems to be a common thing with these. Looks like I've got 400 miles to suffer with these then back to the asics. I am getting my speed back though, I'm happy at low 6s again over 5k. Gotta lose more weight to get race ready for my tris in June and July.

I use Mizuno wave rider for my high volume stuff and have Mizuno sayonara and Ekiden for racing and really happy with them as don't seem to have the Achilles issues I had with the Saucony.

I think weight is important and one of the reasons my pace has picked up again. Since the cancelled ironman back in October where I ate my weight in food for a week in America and went back up to 195 pounds, I've lost 20 by just watching what I eat and doing silly volumes of running. I think I can lose another half stone which would put me into athlete levels of body fat (circa 10-11 percent), but it's going to be hard to get there. Doing it slowly means it's more likely to stay off. I use myfitnesspal to track food and exercise and it seems to work for me but it's important to make sure you eat enough too.

Once I got VLM out of the way it will be all triathlon as currently the cycling is non existent. Hoping I can get my power back from last year as at a lower weight it should hopefully make a big difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Need to start this shit again.. I fear tiredness.

Play 5's on a wednesday night, which should give me a start of about 3 miles I reckon.

See how I do.  My problem is time.  I get back from work at 5.45, get to see the nipper for 45 minutes then he's in bed.  Then it's my tea time and after dinner I don't want to run. :(

shitty!

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Play 5's on a wednesday night, which should give me a start of about 3 miles I reckon.

See how I do.  My problem is time.  I get back from work at 5.45, get to see the nipper for 45 minutes then he's in bed.  Then it's my tea time and after dinner I don't want to run. :(

shitty!

That's where having running mates (or better still, a club) comes in. If it's scheduled, and there's a social element, you're more likely to get off the sofa. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

That's where having running mates (or better still, a club) comes in. If it's scheduled, and there's a social element, you're more likely to get off the sofa. 

I know, but I already go out on a Wednesday and I really miss the nipper so going out another night probably isn't on my radar at the minute.

His **** nursery nurses see him more than me :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I know, but I already go out on a Wednesday and I really miss the nipper so going out another night probably isn't on my radar at the minute.

His **** nursery nurses see him more than me :(

Have you thought about maybe getting a weight vest? They're a great way of getting in some conditioning...you could easily be out for a nice walk with the little one/pushing the buggy on weekend mornings. It's one of my conditioning options & when my missus drops in October I'll be using it more so then.

Seen one by RDX on eBay for £43. Weight is like 10kg-18kg (I think so you can start light)& it's something you do while walking for distance. Atm I walk 2 miles with 20kg, hope this helps :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

shitty!

a.m. running, hard as fook in the beginning, but once you get into it, it makes for a great start to the day and there's no chance of the zero-motivation after work issue. The out of bed to run in the dark problem is formidable though!

Had a mate who used to love the weighted vest thing too... he was in to lifting and stuff, so could only run with weights or something.

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I love the idea of going for a run before work, but I've accepted that it'll never happen.

I leave getting out of bed for work until the last possible second.

How about running TO work? I used to do it every Friday. 

Â