Running

trimandson

6 weeks should be fine although you maybe better doing shorter stuff over the summer to get the base speed up and have another crack in the autumn. I think you would be surprised how much speed you pick up in a few months of doing 5-10k or even HM.

• Like 1

Or do triathlon, cause it's cool :-) which reminds me I should really start cycling again as I'm racing in Staffordshire half ironman in June. Might have to go up early next month and recce the course (I know it's local roads for most of you guys but I'm daan saaff).

13 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

6 weeks should be fine although you maybe better doing shorter stuff over the summer to get the base speed up and have another crack in the autumn. I think you would be surprised how much speed you pick up in a few months of doing 5-10k or even HM.

What do you class as base speed mate? do you mean what speed you can run at comfortably? Last week I got to 16 mile in 2 hours 15 averaging just under 8 min 30 mile pace with no mile over 8 min 50 secs and it felt pretty comfortable. Cramp came in between 19 and 20 mile which really did for me in the end as last 6.2 mile took me 79 minutes.

I don't know what to do for the best. I can comfortably knock out 10 miles at around 8 min/mile pace but maybe I will try and get that up to around 7 min 40 sec pace then over the summer and have another crack at a sub 4 hour marathon in the autumn like you said.

Edited by markavfc40

What do you class as base speed mate? do you mean what speed you can run at comfortably? Last week I got to 16 mile in 2 hours 15 averaging just under 8 min 30 mile pace with no mile over 8 min 50 secs and it felt pretty comfortable. Cramp came in between 19 and 20 mile which really did for me in the end as last 6.2 mile took me 79 minutes.

I don't know what to do for the best. I can comfortably knock out 10 miles at around 8 min/mile pace but maybe I will try and get that up to around 7 min 40 sec pace then over the summer and have another crack at a sub 4 hour marathon in the autumn like you said.

The idea that's seemed to have worked for me is by making my 5k speed faster everything longer just becomes easier at faster speeds. This has been something driven into me by Julian Goater (ex pro 10k runner) and it has certainly worked. You would have to keep up the one longish run a week (or at least rack it up closer you get to the Autumn) but more work on doing hill reps and other speed sessions and then trying to smash your local parkrun every other week.

• Like 1

Duathlon tomorrow ...I haven't a clue !!! B)

Careful on the first run is my advice, lots of people go hard on the first run and many of these are death marching the 2nd one. Also done much running off the bike? it's a delight!!

Been getting back into running and have been aiming for 3 5ks a week gradually getting quicker but last week I started getting pain in my ankles so laid off it for a week. Haven't done anything this week just basic gym stuff because the pain is still there, but now it's spreading up from ankles into my shins. Could it be my trainers (probably not far off the 300 mile mark in fairness), or could it be the leg weights I've been doing?

Thanks to this thread, another run done.

No idea what time or distance..

Guestimates would be about 30 mins and 2 miles, very hilly around Haden Hill and surrounding roads.

Feeling very much better than my 1st run on Thursday too, added time and distance onto it.

I must say though, and this will sound obvious and ridiculous, but my excess weight really does fight against my fitness. I felt my heft quite early, but my fitness pulled me through, whereas towards the end my heft beat my fitness.. if that makes any sense.

Will go again very soon!!

Make thisna habit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, andyjsg said:

Careful on the first run is my advice, lots of people go hard on the first run and many of these are death marching the 2nd one. Also done much running off the bike? it's a delight!!

Was speaking to a few "pros" the say even pace first 3.6k run .....go balls out on the 17k bike (coming into transition go to high cog and spin the shit out of your legs to get the lactic acid out) then empty the tank on the last 3.6k run ......sounds legit

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Thanks to this thread, another run done.

No idea what time or distance..

Guestimates would be about 30 mins and 2 miles, very hilly around Haden Hill and surrounding roads.

Feeling very much better than my 1st run on Thursday too, added time and distance onto it.

I must say though, and this will sound obvious and ridiculous, but my excess weight really does fight against my fitness. I felt my heft quite early, but my fitness pulled me through, whereas towards the end my heft beat my fitness.. if that makes any sense.

Will go again very soon!!

Make thisna habit.

You've made a start mate and that is the hardest step. Well done. You have something to build on now so just keep going and progressing slowly.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaForever1970 said:

Broke my 10k PB today at the Lincoln 10k 39.51 :)

Good work. My ambition was always a sub-40, probably won't do it now. :(

• Like 1

Â