Running

trimandson

Spot-on advice. VF1970. The mistake most rookie runners make is overdoing it - trying to run flat-out from the off, trying to run distances that are too far, running every day without taking rest days, etc. Run/walk is not only nothing to be disappointed about, it's positively beneficial.

Like they said take your time then build up, if there are any 5k charity runs or even a park run (free timed) near you just enter one for the experience it's like a whole new fun ballgame, no need to be the quickest guy, and as mentioned before sometimes it's good to leave the watch at home on a run and just enjoy it 

And don't forget the psychological battle with yourself, if you push too hard because you've tried to go from 5k to 10k overnight and get injured, the two/three/four weeks off from running will be devastating (in my experience) to your confidence next time you go out. It's hard to start again and find yourself not achieving what you could do before. Earlier this year I got to 11 miles, I had to stop because of an injury and the thought of going out now fills me with dread because I know how far behind I am again

• Like 1

And don't forget the psychological battle with yourself, if you push too hard because you've tried to go from 5k to 10k overnight and get injured, the two/three/four weeks off from running will be devastating (in my experience) to your confidence next time you go out. It's hard to start again and find yourself not achieving what you could do before. Earlier this year I got to 11 miles, I had to stop because of an injury and the thought of going out now fills me with dread because I know how far behind I am again

Yup, nothing wrong with being enthusiastic but still be careful, running is a mental thing as well as physical.

I’ve been running 3 times a week for over 5 years and doing the training for a marathon was hard, the actual marathon itself was the hardest thing i’ve done (still want to do another) so don’t take anything for granted. You’ll have good runs and bad runs, you’ll get injured feel too tired or not, the stiffness in the mornings will go its all worth it though :D

Running is highly rewarding yet also very challenging. 

Oh one more, don't go over the top stretching before a run. I never stretch before running your likely to do more damage that good, if you want to do some stretching do some after a short warm up.

Edited by VillaForever1970

Just in from a nice 10k ...slowly getting back to some sort of rhythm looking at a Christmas half marathon .....also chaps I know is a while away but is anyone interested in the Dublin city marathon ? I will be doing it raising funds for a charity & its meant to be a good one next year to celebrate Ireland's centenary year  

I've been struggling to get back into fitness since a calf injury this summer. But I just bought a couple new pairs of trail shoes and I've been hitting the trails and enjoying the fall weather and it's making a big difference. I see people moving indoors to treadmills already and I can't fathom how they do it. This is when it really starts to get nice.

It's been incredibly rainy out lately and I've put these though a pretty brutal initiation and they've held up brilliantly.

12195990_10206236164195878_6849099569125

• Like 1

I find three a week (say 25 miles total) is the optimum for general race fitness. Additional long run needed for marathon training though.

This. Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday using the FIRST style of hard intervals Tuesday, tempo Thursday and LSR Sunday.

Then you've got time for other stuff on other days.

• Like 1

I went looking for new running shoes today as my old ones are still usable but getting a bit long in the tooth, and my bank account had gotten to the level where I felt it needed to get before I bought new shoes.

I went in basically expecting to get the Nike Air Vomeros, which I figured was a natural step up from a decade of wearing Air Pegasus, but every single shop assistant I talked to tried to sell me the Asics Gel Kayanos, and they felt really nice when I tried them on. I was weighing up whether it was worth paying the extra $70, when I got to the last store I was going to check in and found them for 30% off. Sold!

I went for a run in them when I got home, and they feel great, especially for brand newies. No blisters or anything fit really well, and I could definitely feel the step up in cushioning from the Air Pegasus shoes i'd been using. The run itself was pretty brutal because it was pretty muggy and I probably hadn't had enough water during the day, but I got through. It was also my first run in 2 weeks, which i'm not proud of, but I just got a bit lazy and it's getting warmer over here. Part of buying the shoes was telling myself that i'd run if I bought them because i'd have to justify the spend. Let's hope it works!

every single shop assistant I talked to tried to sell me the Asics Gel Kayanos, and they felt really nice when I tried them on. I was weighing up whether it was worth paying the extra $70, when I got to the last store I was going to check in and found them for 30% off. Sold!

They really are the mutts nuts. My choice for about 10 years now

Im doing my first big distance (half marathon) on the 22nd, im absolutly bricking it but I feel its needed to fit in with an overall plan of activities for next year 

and worth it alone to get one of these bottle openers/medals 

10156133_1030176033669742_37256014669076

• Like 1

Im doing my first big distance (half marathon) on the 22nd, im absolutly bricking it but I feel its needed to fit in with an overall plan of activities for next year 

and worth it alone to get one of these bottle openers/medals 

10156133_1030176033669742_3725601466907649057_n.jpg?oh=6a2db3949d25f935a0ae30e38844fc57&oe=56C205CC

Get to half way, and then it's just a 10k.

• Like 1

Â